One eye shut today?

jaimeerosko

Hi there. Lucki was favoring his right eye this morning and I noticed his UVB bulb went out today. I didn't have a spare on me, but purchased one and replaced it after work. Since returning home, I have not seen him open the eye. He has been misted three times today, and I have seen him rub his left eye/side of face on a branch. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about giving me a shower after (my) dinner so he has some time to hang for a bit in his light. I was also thinking of overriding the timer for a few hours tonight if no one says its a bad idea.

Info: Approximately 3 months old, less than 1 gram, male panther. Eating pinheads, fruit flies, and phoenix worms, gutloading with fresh veggies/fruit. Other than that, I am following the "Panther Chameleon Care Sheet" from this site almost verbatim. I have had him for two and a half weeks. He's eating like a champ and normal otherwise today. Poop/urate looks great.

Please let me know if this needs to be posted somewhere else; I have to run out for a bit but wanted to ask here first before I left the house. Thanks in advance for your help.

Closing an eye for a period of time usually means some kind of eye infection. Might have to see a vet for antibiotic eye drops. Try a warm shower tonight, and just leave you light schedule on as normal. assuming you are on a 12hours schedule. Then if it persist tomorrow get the cham into see a vet!

Hi, sounds like your doing great. At the present i would not be extremely worried but definitely keep an eye on it. Rubbing his eye against the branches combined with his eye shut...I would personally think he has debris in the turret. It could be start of an infection but at the moment with no other signs (swelling, discharge, etc.) i would go with debris. Long showers as suggested above and proper humidity levels.

Thanks for the input! The eye is still shut so we made our first trip to the vet (I've had him three weeks, today). They flushed the eyeball and he's on eyedrops. No real answer as to what caused it, possibly a humidity issue? I can't wait to give a one inch long baby chameleon eyedrops twice a day, should be fun! o_O

Back
Top Bottom