one eye closed

Hello all, I recently got two adult panthers and have some concerns about the female. She has had one of her eyes closed for at least about 9 days. It was like that when I purchased her and the guy said that she might be cleaning her eye...He had over 20 chams so i just assumed he was a good guy and knew what he was talking about. Now I have seen her open it slightly (never all the way) very few times. On top of this she seems very lethargic and a little weak. She may have laid a retained clutch just before i picked her up, so I wasn't sure if maybe that is effecting her at all. Anyway I was hoping you guys might have some input, thank you! If it will maybe help I can try to attach some pics of her tomorrow. Thank you!

try the shower technique, she might have something in here eye, she will get it out by herself in the shower most likely

Please post a photo or two of her.

Is she in a separate cage? Does she have a lay bin in the cage? Is she sitting low in the cage? Eating? Pooping? Is she sleeping during the day?

Please post a photo or two of her.

Is she in a separate cage? Does she have a lay bin in the cage? Is she sitting low in the cage? Eating? Pooping? Is she sleeping during the day?
She is in a separate cage and had a lay bin for maybe 7 days, but I took it out because I haven't figured out how to keep it from getting too wet with the misting system. She is not low in the cage, I have not seen her eat, but it seems like some crickets may be gone, and I have not paid attention to how much poop but I have seen some...

Pictures please. She might be eggbound. Why would the guy say she is cleaning her eye? They don't just close their eyes for some time to clean them, they usually do it in the mist or shower, that is why we mist them also.

IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1776.JPG So this is her sleeping right now...Which she's been there for quite a while. (like since 4:00) eastern time.
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 74
If she had a retained clutch when you got her then if she can't lay it or resorb it she may need to be spayed.
I can't tell you if that's what's going on...you need a vet for that. Is she sitting low in the cage most of the time...eyes closed? ...you already said she's lethargic and weak. Please answer the questions in this thread as specifically as possible...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

If she is still able to lay it then you need that bin back in the cage. Put an upside down "v" shaped piece of that coragated plastic over the bin tall enough that she can still get into the bin to lay the eggs but it will keep the sand from getting soaked. Make sure she knows it's there.

Her head pads are not protruding so her fat stores/hydration are low...is she eating and drinking well?
Can she see the male?

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I have a female Ambilobe panther chameleon about 1.5 years old. She has been in my care for just shy of 2 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have been handling her maybe once per day to see if she is improving at all.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am offering my Cham large crickets with calcium everyday because she doesn’t seem to be eating. I am not gutloading the crickets but just bought some of the orange cubes for them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I believe it is Fluker calcium with no d3 every feeding.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Currently I have an automatic misting system and I have it set for 1 minute every two hours. I have never seen her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? This I am unsure about.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I bought her and a male from some guy..lol. They were kept outside. She was bred twice,most recently being mid September. She did lay an initial clutch, but has NOT laid a retained clutch.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have them outside for now they get sunlight from around 9-6
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Cage floor is around 75 and top basking spot is around 95 (midday) the lowest overnight temp so far might have been 60. However it’s going to be getting s little cooler.(mid 50’s)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity ranges from 50-80 due to misting system. I use a hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one live umbrella plant that extends the full height of the cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is outside in a covered lanai with sun penetrating from9-6. The cage is sitting on the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Fort Myers, Florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. She is weak, lethargic, and has one closed eye.

If she was bred in mid September..did she lay the clutch in mid October? If so the retained clutch should have been laid mid November.... So just a few days after you got her. The fact that you got her right around her laying time (if all that I supposed is true) then she might have been upset by the move and wasn't able to lay them because it threw her off...and then you took out the laying bin leaving her with no place to lay them. The bin needs to be back in there NOW and I would dig a hole in it for her and hope she can still lay them. It might even be a good idea to have a vet give her a shot of oxytocin.

Back
Top Bottom