On the Floor

Justin T

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, male, I don't know exactly how old it is but i know that its a baby.
  • Handling - Not at all so far
  • Feeding - I have only fed him once as I have just gotten him but Crickets and super worms
  • Supplements - Rep-cal herptivite multivitamin,zoo med calcium with d3 and without
  • Watering - I have a climist mister and I have misting sessions for 2 minutes long every 2 hours or so from 8:00 am till 8:00 pm
  • Fecal Description - He have not seen him go yet
  • History - I received him this morning

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen
  • Lighting - zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb light and I use a 65 watt light bulb as the heat light
  • Temperature - I have an ink bird temperature controller and I have it set to stay around 85°F
  • Humidity - The humidity levels are like 70% and I have a zoo med humidity gauge
  • Plants - I have a geranium and a spider plant in the enclosure
  • Placement - It is elevated a couple feet off of the floor
  • Location - I live in northern California

Current Problem -
I recently bought a baby veiled chameleon from fl chams and I received him this morning. Every time I go over to his enclosure he is standing on the floor and when I come over he climbs up the side. At first, I thought it was because it was too hot up at the top but I only have it set at 82° F. I read that it is not normal for them to be on the floor a lot. Is there something wrong or am I overreacting?

That's not totally normal but considering he's brand new and settling in I'd see how he does tomorrow. Did you put in horizontal branches for him to climb on? Geranium plants can be irritating I would switch it out for a pothos, schefflera or ficus. More details about your cage setup and pictures would be helpful in spotting a potential problem.

I have a few horizontal branches, not as many as I’d like but a few. I have a pothos but it’s kind of big for the sized enclosure that I have..I was planning on putting it along with my ficus and other plants in his adult enclosure. His cage now is kinda small, it’s the small reptibreeze screen cage so it’s kinda hard finding plants that are small enough to fit in the cage but big enough for him to climb around on. I have already turned off all his lights and everything so I will post some pictures of the enclosure and him tomorrow. Thank you for your help!!

You said a baby veiled, do you know how old he is? Could you try to get a rough measurement of his size? The more we know, the more ideas we can come up with.

I'm not sure how old he is but I think he is around 2 1/2 inches not including his tail. The first picture was from yesterday when he was crawling on the floor and the other two are from this morning. I have not seen him on the ground yet today so he seems better.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2e5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2e5.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom