On going problem for 2 months now!!!!!!

Tifanydalpont

so for the past 2 month I've been struggling to make my male cammy drink his 10 months old.. and he REFUSES TO DRINK!!!!
....before this problem, for months he would just see me open his cage with spray bottle in hand and he'd run up to the nozzle and lap no problem...
... ive done everything misted for 20 mins nothing...i bought a needleless syring which was a was of money cause theres no way to put that near his mouthlol!.. i finally have to put him in the shower cause he was still refusing to drink and was worried about dyhyd...before i would make him hiss an spray but found out i could get water in his lung so i stopped that...so ive been sqirting water in his mouth when hes eatting but this is the only why i get water in hes system, while his eatting,
because of this problem ive been feeding him lots of silks,horn,and supers....
hes never not been shy drinker!!!!!!.... when he sees me open his cage to hand feed him he'll eat what i offer the climb on my arm to get out and crawl up to get on his tree out side of the cage!!!!!!!!! he never mind me touching he or anything ..the other day i was eatting some watermeleon andcut off a tiny pices and stabbed it on to the branch in his cage.... i didnt notice till a few hours later it was gone... i wasnt sure if he ate it but i couldnt find it any were...

p.s sorry for the spelling

Attachments

• jacking hang.jpg
    jacking hang.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 137
from the only pic i see he looks fine to me. veileds are a little different than the rest imo. i have one guy i swear only drinks once a month. honestly im sure he is drinking more than that but thats all i ever visually get to see. some chams drink when your not around so just keep spraying making sure hydration is available.

today i found his pee sack from the last poop he did and supriseingly it was white!!!! the whole process is just a lot of work everyday!!!lol

Getting an automated misting system with several misting sessions throughout the day will save alot of work.

I bet you feel better seeing that white urate!

Some chameleons when kept at optimal or high humidity, or ones that eat foliage wont drink as much or as often.

Sometimes they like to drive us nuts and drink secretly;)

Glad all is well.

Last edited:
just make a dripper, makes life simpler. or if you must go to petco and buy one of those little drippers or big drippers, whatever their called.

Mine is a secret drinker so to compensate I built a "rain mimicker"... Worked like a charm.. He went right to the water falling and started lapping it up... It's just about finding the right method for your guy... They like what they like and they'll get what they want x)

What kind of hand mister are you using? I highly recommend the second type over the first.

1803d1188156600-hand-misting-mister.jpg

no

1801d1188156572-hand-misting-3pintrl.jpg

yes

I agree, the auto misters are so much better. I have a female who rarely drinks BC I gutload my crickets dry and wet food. If they get enough fluid in there food they don't drink as often. I also shave drippers on all of my cages. I just use little red party cups with a small hole in the side. I fill them once a day and spray them with the mister at least twice a day. My translucents will only drink water from the dripper. Petco sells a little dripper, it works really well but it has to be cleaned alot. Used to use them but found cups are cheaper.

mine was the same way i never stopped misting him or his cage but his head is designed for the water to fall down and to his mouth try watching cause my guy laps it up when its what i call now shower time!!!

Id just definitely try to have patience with him. When I first got My two lovelys I would only see Mrs.Chameleon drink and Mr.Chameleon would never drink... not even when I sprayed him in the face with the water haha.... but after a while of repeating all my steps .....automatic mister....dripper system... and misting ... he eventually started to get used to it and now both of them are coming up to the spray bottle to get water. Sometimes they can be picky and act strange but you said his urate is white so I wouldnt stress out since he seems to be hydrated enough.

Back
Top Bottom