? on feeding biting worm type foods

little leaf

Avid Member
is it possible for say a maggot or meal worm type food to survive being swallowed, and then " eating " your chams innards ? or biting their mouth ? I have some fly larva, home grown ;) :p but as I watched them eating, they really have a nasty set of " teeth" - now I am nervous to feed them with out smashing their heads - YUCK ! I think my chams are now responsible for more of my gray hairs then my kids !! :eek: :p

lovepicasso

I have to say, the super worms will bite me when I hold them by their tails and I have wandered the same thing, glad you brought this up.

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
is it possible for say a maggot or meal worm type food to survive being swallowed, and then " eating " your chams innards ? or biting their mouth ? I have some fly larva, home grown ;) :p but as I watched them eating, they really have a nasty set of " teeth" - now I am nervous to feed them with out smashing their heads - YUCK ! I think my chams are now responsible for more of my gray hairs then my kids !! :eek: :p

there is no truth to the myth that mealworms or superworms will survive in a chameleons digestion to chew its way out. Take a teaspoon of water and put your superworm or mealworm in it, and see how fast it drowns. Now imagine first being chewed, then surrounded by digestive fluids (not just a wee puddle of water it could try to crawl away from).

in rare cases a large superworm might maybe try to pinch/bite your cham, but frankly your cham is designed to eat live things and will learn very quickly to shoot for the head and crunch /chew to essentially eliminate any risk.

Ive handled many large black crickets, superworms etc and any that has rarely tried to bite me never broken the skin.
I've never had a chameleon injured (well over 10 years of keeping and breeding chams) from maggots /larva, nor beetles or crickets or roaches etc. The only thing I might be particularly cautious about would be spiky things like large mantid, or soldier class termites.

little leaf

Avid Member
there is no truth to the myth that mealworms or superworms will survive in a chameleons digestion to chew its way out. Take a teaspoon of water and put your superworm or mealworm in it, and see how fast it drowns. Now imagine first being chewed, then surrounded by digestive fluids (not just a wee puddle of water it could try to crawl away from).

in rare cases a large superworm might maybe try to pinch/bite your cham, but frankly your cham is designed to eat live things and will learn very quickly to shoot for the head and crunch /chew to essentially eliminate any risk.

Ive handled many large black crickets, superworms etc and any that has rarely tried to bite me never broken the skin.
I've never had a chameleon injured (well over 10 years of keeping and breeding chams) from maggots /larva, nor beetles or crickets or roaches etc. The only thing I might be particularly cautious about would be spiky things like large mantid, or soldier class termites.

ok, I just wondered, I know the crix chew thew the softer screen, and bags- lol and i know maggots are made to chew flesh - and the are so squishy, I was not sure if just chewing one would kill it enough make it harmless when eaten - I know some of the rescue kittens we have gotten in, I will spare the detail, but its crazy what I have seem them do to flesh - I just did not want to feed anything that could harm my little guys - Thank you for the info :)

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
ok, I just wondered, I know the crix chew thew the softer screen, and bags- lol and i know maggots are made to chew flesh - and the are so squishy, I was not sure if just chewing one would kill it enough make it harmless when eaten - I know some of the rescue kittens we have gotten in, I will spare the detail, but its crazy what I have seem them do to flesh - I just did not want to feed anything that could harm my little guys - Thank you for the info :)

Maggots usually like rotting/unhealthy rather than healthy flesh.

Top Bottom