OMG!! Look what I found!! Help don't know what to do!!!

JaxyGirl

Avid Member
Hi everyone I need some help!!!! I went away 2 nights for a ski weekend and when I got home I found this!!!! I was watering and feeding my female Jackson's on her free range...business as usual.. and all of a sudden my eyes focused on this little thing and I was shocked!!! I was not ready for this..I didn't even know she was pregnant! I don't know where to put this little baby or what to do??? I don't have any fruit flies or pinheads! How long can it go without food???? I won't be able to get anything till tomorrow that is "If" the pet stores in this area has anything small enough for it to eat which I doubt. The female wasn't even acting pregnant..If I had known I would have been more prepared... It looks like she might have just had two. I found another one that didn't make it out of the sack. The baby did drink a lot!! Does it look healthy?? Please "Help" I'm panicking!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Natalie

Attachments

• BABY CHAM2.jpg
    BABY CHAM2.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 297
  • BABY CHAM 1.jpg
    BABY CHAM 1.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 299
I would like to help but I have no idea. Tomorrow you should be able to get someone to overnight food to you, but from now til tuesday? Sorry i am drawing a blank. Hopefully someone will come up with some ideas. Keep watching for the rest to arrive.

It looks healthy to me, but you definitely need to get some fruit flies. You can get fruit flies at any petsmart/petco also.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replys Laurie and Justjumpit. Unfortunately I live in Maine, there aren't any fruit flies in this weather :(

I really know nothing about Jacksons but that baby looks healthy.

Probably a good idea to get some sort of bin ready for the baby. I use rubbermaid containers with some dowels and fake plants inside for my babies. Provide a basking spot and a UVB light. The basking spot will be a little cooler than that required for adults.

Also definately get some fruit flys or pinheads tomorrow.

I really know nothing about Jacksons but that baby looks healthy.

Probably a good idea to get some sort of bin ready for the baby. I use rubbermaid containers with some dowels and fake plants inside for my babies. Provide a basking spot and a UVB light. The basking spot will be a little cooler than that required for adults.

Also definately get some fruit flys or pinheads tomorrow.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've been running around setting up a bin as we speak with some lightly damp paper towels of the bottom and now heading to my fake plant collection. He looks so happy in the free range with mom. I hope it doesn't put him in shock when I move him to the bin???? I'm just freaked...sorry..:eek:

Was the female in the free range when you were gone? A litter of two seems small for a jacksonii so I'd be checking all over that room for babies if she did give birth there.

Babies of live bearing chameleons are born hungry so hopefully you can find some small insects tomorrow to tide you over until other insects can be shipped in.

And don't leave it in the freerange-it is possible that Mom ate a few brothers and sisters already!

Was the female in the free range when you were gone? A litter of two seems small for a jacksonii so I'd be checking all over that room for babies if she did give birth there.

Babies of live bearing chameleons are born hungry so hopefully you can find some small insects tomorrow to tide you over until other insects can be shipped in.

I've looked all over for more babies and haven't found any. I got the female from the New England rep show in October and she was tiny. I thought she was only 3-4 mos old...she must have just been older then I thought. I don't think it could have been my male???? Because I've only had her for 4 mos..and they are kept separate..except for the one time that he managed to sneak onto her free range via electrical cord..which I put a fix to. But the gestation period is 6-9 mos right???

What a nice surprise! :)
Either your girl had contact with a male at some point, your care or before, or you have discovered a parthenogenic cham! :D
Sorry, I dont have any idea of jacksoni's gestation period but somebody will know.
Best wishes with the new babys. :)

Yeah 6 - 9 months is average gestation so it sounds like she was gravid already. I find that the live bearers get heavy very quickly after mating so considering you've only had her for 4 months what may have looked like normal growth to you was in fact gravid weight. I'm only speculating though.

In all my years of working with live bearers, not once have I seen the mother eat their babies. Not saying that it doesn't happen ever but don't fixate on that.

Congrats on the little one. I wouldn't be surprised if you find more in the next few days. The world needs more jacksonii!

And don't leave it in the freerange-it is possible that Mom ate a few brothers and sisters already!

Thank's Julirs. I won't leave him in the free range... but I'm confusing myself trying to find something to put him in. I have two plastic bins to choose from 15"Lx12"Wx6"H. A 26"Lx15"Lx12"H. A 10gal glass tank with screen top. A 30 gal glass Tall planted Tank that is already set up as a terrarium with two spotted salamanders..the humidity would be perfect for him..for now..I guess I could move the salamanders. I also have a reptibreeze screen 20" x 16" that his mom started out in. He's sooooo tiny which one should I put him in?????

Go with the 26x15x12 plastic tote. That way when you find the rest of the babies you will have some place to put them. ;)

Don't panic, just do what you need to do and start looking tomorrow for food. They will be ok for a day or two. Maybe you can find someone who hatches out crickets and has some new hatchlings. They are pretty tiny. My baby brevs love crickets that are a couple days old. They eat them like they are vacuum cleaners! lol.

Back
Top Bottom