Omg! Another hawk encounter!!!!

Saying "killing a snake were my children play is a lame excuse for my convenience," is not simply making suggestions. Yes, I have heard of pest control. When I first moved in I had a pest control service come spray the side of the house that was infected,and all the spiders dropped dead almost instantly. Why is it okay to kill a poisonous spider but not a poisonous snake?If the pond was fenced they could easily come right into my backyard still, like I said the pond is two foot from my backyard.How would I make a playhouse and swing set a safer option?If the snake wants in, it will get into it. By simply checking it before he goes outside is a safe option "Einstein."

If calling me a fool and trying to insult me makes you feel you have succeeded in something, then congratulations. Your right,it would be so shameful if I shot my a child when I am killing a poisonous snake,because I "think with my gun and not my head."Come on man,is that the best you have? You think I run out the door with my "big gun blasting away at a snake" with children outside?That's comical.You are right this is pointless, You believe it is not okay to kill a poisonous snake that could pose a threat to a child but okay to have pest control come out and spray the black widows. I feel different about that sorry we do not agree.
I honestly appreciate you looking up the number for me and defiantly consider having them removed.:)

LILWISH
- Yes, I have tried moth balls, and snake-away which is the same ingredient in moth balls, which is Napthalene.They stinks to high heaven!I think it is actually to deter rodents,which the snakes hunt.That is what the pest control man told me and also the lady at the co-op.In a few post up I mentioned I actually found snakes next to the moth balls just hanging out.I read that lime would possibly deter them but burn the snakes skin,and I do not want rain run off into my pond,that would result in killing the fish:(

Glad your baby is ok.

i will say that is very cool i have 2 hawks that live around my home in port richey FL.a big one and a little one.and i have seen them grab doves right out of my oak tree many times and sit right there in my grass and eat lunch it is great to see them work.but i will build Amelia a nice outside cage.

Following this thread really hilites what makes this forum so great, all the passion that as a collective group we posses for our beloved chameleons. Wow, firearms to protect our chameleons! I don't necessarily believe in the use for firearms or not, what I love is the passion behind the thought.

A hawk can easily rip through a screen cage and get to you chameleon. It will probably keep coming back because its thinks its easy prey. If you don't want to kill it you could try some type of scarecrow which probably wont help, they do have some motion activated scargrows. You could also use a airsoft gun it shouldn't kill it.

A hawk can easily rip through a screen cage and get to you chameleon. It will probably keep coming back because its thinks its easy prey. If you don't want to kill it you could try some type of scarecrow which probably wont help, they do have some motion activated scargrows. You could also use a airsoft gun it shouldn't kill it.

The solution is pretty simple folks. Make sure you have a layer of WIRE mesh on the cage. No hawk can get through that believe me. Neither their beak or their talons are equipped to rip through wire and frankly, most raptors are not creative enough to figure out how to get through it. A great horned owl might try, but its not very likely. If you have some sort of predator ripping into a wire mesh cage you are not dealing with a hawk!

No pest control is going to come to your house to take away a hawk. If you have feral cats, opossums, reticulated pythons, or other invasive non-native critters annoying you they might. Are hawks dangerous? Not very unless you are a mouse or rat. An airsoft gun may injure a hawk pretty severely and you could be fined for shooting it.

sorry about digging this up but a soultion for this would be to get some fishing line and tether it a foot or so above the cage so that any bird that comes to investigate will be surprised by this invisible forcefield above the cage, no harm to the animal and it doesn't look bad at all

sorry about digging this up but a soultion for this would be to get some fishing line and tether it a foot or so above the cage so that any bird that comes to investigate will be surprised by this invisible forcefield above the cage, no harm to the animal and it doesn't look bad at all

That's ok! Thanks for the tip. I have only seen one hawk attempt this on the cage top. If it was a constant problem then I think I would be trying to figure something out to deter the bird. Thanks again!!

i was just thinking about this the other day and thought what aboout tieing some bells or something to the screen that way if a hawk or other animal was messing with it you would hear the bells and know sumthings up

The cage is not screen, it is made of a very thick, stiff chicken wire like material. I agree, a hawk could rip through my indoor screen cage in a heartbeat! I think he would have some trouble getting through that and by the time he did hopefully my cham would be hiding out at the bottom where the hawk could never get through with all the branches I have in there!

i was just thinking about this the other day and thought what aboout tieing some bells or something to the screen that way if a hawk or other animal was messing with it you would hear the bells and know sumthings up

Not a bad idea. Kinda reminds me of my youth when I would fish with my dad and we would tie bells to all the lines and sit back and when you hear the bell ring you knew you had a fish on the line!

Back
Top Bottom