Omar's cage is done.

ridgebax1

Avid Member
Omar's cage is finally done. Here are some pictures. I also have more hanging vines I want to put on the side wall toward the back, but I have to wait until my son can help me hold the vine up while I secure it to the cage. My arms are not long enough to reach inside and outside at the same time! I really think he likes it as he is always exploring and climbing. The other thing I have left to do is upgrade the misting system. I am not happy with the monsoon and want to get a mistking.

Attachments

• omar's cage.jpg
    omar's cage.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 144
  • omar's cage bottom.jpg
    omar's cage bottom.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Omar's cage top.jpg
    Omar's cage top.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 94
No it's not; I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach photos rather than insert them into the message!

Organic, fine soil is the only recommended substrate. However you are going to run into major bacteria and mold issues unless you create a drain system. The best way to do so is mix in clean play sand, if say a 60/ 40 dirt/soil then also add in clean river rocks across the bottom to absorb some water and help with drainage and that way it's not mud spewing out of the bottom. Then obviously add a tray for the water to collect in.

The substrate is organic fine soil, it is in a 24 x24 rabbit litter pan with water absorbing crystals, river rock and smaller gravel under the dirt. I have holes drilled in the bottom and a pan to catch the overflow (you just can't see it in the picture). I guess I am really not done though because I have river rock to put over the exposed soil so he can't eat it. He had a couple large pots in the old enclosure and never showed interest in the dirt. Also the thing in the middle of the bottom picture is an upside down planter that I put his food bowl on (it does not stay in the cage) I am looking for something comparable that I can leave in there so he always has access to food.

The plants are a ficus tree, gardenia tree, hibiscus, pothos, philodendren, prayer plant, and bromeliad.

Back
Top Bottom