Old Cham new tricks...

FlChamMom

Avid Member
So I am struggling with a parasite with my cham. I want to monitor his eating but am having troubles. Can you teach a 11 month old cham to cup feed? He has only free ranged fed.

yes, depending on the cham- some will never cup feed, others, will take right off with it - you just have to try and see how it goes, he may not feed right away , but give it some time, and he may catch on :)

Will he eat from your hand? I have changed some of my chams in the past from free range eating to cup feeding but my chams would all eat from my hand and it was no problem at all putting the feeders in a cup for them. The scuffling sounds of the feeders on the sides of the cup tends to attract my guys and they've just gone for it. Perhaps start out offering a feeder from your hand and if they are going to go for it have a cup in the cage and show your cham that your dropping it in the cup. Then move away and see what happens.

Hey guys If I could piggyback a little here - how do you actually do the cup feeding technique? I'm getting a cham soon and would like to monitor his eating the first few weeks, at least. I imagine it shouldn't be a transparent cup? how big? Where in the cage?
Thanks. sorry for the tangent

Last edited:
I use a greek yogurt cup, so that it's white, but you can use something larger like the Sunny-D death trap (just do a search for a how-to video). You don't want it transparent. I cut 2 small holes and use a twist tie to secure it to the branches, and I place it towards the front of the cage, about 1/2-2/3 of the way down, so the cham can look into the cup and see that they have breakfast waiting for them. Be careful that your cup isn't in line with your misting system, or even in line of plant leaves that could drain into the cup and fill it with water killing your feeders. Hope this helps! :D

Back
Top Bottom