Ok to be in a closet

I do keep a bank of cages in an office closet but it has no doors just a curtain I close at night to control the light. Beman makes good points about airflow and humidity build up,

I do keep a bank of cages in an office closet but it has no doors just a curtain I close at night to control the light. Beman makes good points about airflow and humidity build up,
She’s in the living room downstairs now. But it’s such a big open room that I can’t keep the humidity up now. It keeps dropping to just under 30

Have you wraped 2-3 sides in plastic of some kind? That can help.
Yes I have. I don’t understand why it keeps going down so fast. I mist for 2 minutes it goes up to 75 then 2 hours later it’s almost under 30. I also have 5 real plants in there

Yes I have. I don’t understand why it keeps going down so fast.
Hot air rises—in this case, hot moist air. Like heat loss, most of your humidity loss is through the top of the enclosure.

And like heat loss, the higher the differential between the moist air inside the enclosure and the dry air outside the enclosure, the faster the moisture loss will be.

Possible remedies:
  1. The wrapping must be tight. If there are gaps, moisture will be drawn out by the ambient dry air, and/or (depending on other factors) the ambient dry air will be drawn in via chimney effect* and reducing the humidity.

2. Try covering part of the top of the enclosure, but not where the lights are. How much will be trial & error, and temperatures must be closely monitored as well during this process. We want airflow via chimney effect, but gentle airflow.
* The chimney effect doesn't require large inlets. Wood stoves and inserts operate most efficiently when the intake vent and damper are almost closed.

Back
Top Bottom