Ok to be in a closet

Chell

So im moving bed rooms and play room around in my house. Right now my chameleon is in my room where my kids run in all day long. I also have my tv on till late. I was wondering if I put her in the play room closet the closet is big. And I would shut the door while the kids play so she won’t see them and keep the door opened when they are not in there. They are not in there all day long just here and there though out the day. And with warmer weather coming up they won’t be in long at all. But with the door shut would them playing bother her? Like toys making noise? I really have no other place to put her. And before people start saying I shouldn’t have got her some people on this site know I saved her from a really bad situation. And I was not prepared for this at all but I’m doing the best I can and even got the right cage light and everything else. I’m just trying to make the best for her.

So noise is not the issue. The reduced air flow and temps rising or falling more in the closet would be. Along with the fact that the moisture that we have to provide in that small of a space is a risk for mold growth. Closets also typically do not have electrical plugs...

Please don’t mind the mess like i said we are moving things around lol. But this Is the closet it’s wider but not deep so her cage would be like right there I would only close the door when the kids are playing and I don’t even need to close it all the way just so she won’t see them

Attachments

• BCFD2088-7D30-4E12-BE9A-BECDBA954F6D.jpeg
    BCFD2088-7D30-4E12-BE9A-BECDBA954F6D.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 77
  • D6B1CC73-BDE6-4F5C-953C-78F68895EBA3.jpeg
    D6B1CC73-BDE6-4F5C-953C-78F68895EBA3.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 3CEEF7BB-B91C-49B9-9A55-4512DD4A2C85.jpeg
    3CEEF7BB-B91C-49B9-9A55-4512DD4A2C85.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 82
  • E8ABB28D-5CBE-4C1B-A89A-FB84A0EF51B2.jpeg
    E8ABB28D-5CBE-4C1B-A89A-FB84A0EF51B2.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 97
Yeah that really is not where I would put a chameleon hun. While they do not hear noise they hear vibration. So kids slamming toys and tossing stuff around will effect her.

Is there a reason you do not want to put her in the living room? Even with kids... If she is up on a table and towers above them she will get used to the activity as long as the kids understand they can not stand there and harass her. There are ways to modify a cage so that she sees less of them as well.

Yeah that really is not where I would put a chameleon hun. While they do not hear noise they hear vibration. So kids slamming toys and tossing stuff around will effect her.

Is there a reason you do not want to put her in the living room? Even with kids... If she is up on a table and towers above them she will get used to the activity as long as the kids understand they can not stand there and harass her. There are ways to modify a cage so that she sees less of them as well.
I would love to put her in the living room but right now I have my 2 nieces staying there until may they are trying to get a apartment. They are up all night with lights on all the time. This is so hard I feel like I saved her from a really really bad situation and put her in a not so good one 🤦🏽‍♀️

My kids know not to stare at her well my 9 year old just goes over once in a while to see her. And my 2 year old thinks she’s creepy so he doesn’t go over there much. It’s just when they run in my room they are always bouncing and jumping around

So im moving bed rooms and play room around in my house. Right now my chameleon is in my room where my kids run in all day long. I also have my tv on till late. I was wondering if I put her in the play room closet the closet is big. And I would shut the door while the kids play so she won’t see them and keep the door opened when they are not in there. They are not in there all day long just here and there though out the day. And with warmer weather coming up they won’t be in long at all. But with the door shut would them playing bother her? Like toys making noise? I really have no other place to put her. And before people start saying I shouldn’t have got her some people on this site know I saved her from a really bad situation. And I was not prepared for this at all but I’m doing the best I can and even got the right cage light and everything else. I’m just trying to make the best for her.
Sorry I can't help i hope you get sorted and admire you for trying to help an animal in need even if your conditions are not perfect your heart is in the right place which is a lot to be said for

I would love to put her in the living room but right now I have my 2 nieces staying there until may they are trying to get a apartment. They are up all night with lights on all the time. This is so hard I feel like I saved her from a really really bad situation and put her in a not so good one 🤦🏽‍♀️
And your bedroom is no longer an option? Can you put your nieces in the play room and play room in the living room until they leave? I mean do what you have to do but I really do not think that tiny closet is a good idea personally.

I have kids, dogs and cats. My chameleons live in our living room. They have enough vines and plants that if we are disturbing them or they feel uncomfortable they can hide. I have not noticed stress colors or seen them retreat because something we are doing bothers them. During the day, we are in our family room a lot, but our chameleons aren't bothered or stressed by us.

I agree with @Beman that the activity becomes their norm plus my guys seem to understand they are safe in their enclosures. I feel like many times we are the chameleons' version of t.v. 😁

I think it's great that you are trying to help an animal in need. I hope that you are able to find a good solution for your family and the chameleon.

So if loud noise don’t bother her should I just put her in the play room? She would be in a corner and I can put maybe a shower curtain that’s not see through on the sides? I can’t do my room anymore because she’s a Jackson and need cool temps during the night and I like my room hot lol 🥵. I have been sleeping on a little couch in the playroom with a heater and I want my bed back lol. Also there will be a ac in that room in the summer and I really don’t use the one in my room much. As for the living room we have a kitten that is constantly trying to climb her cage and get her bugs so if she’s downstairs in the living room I will not be able to see if the kitten is bothering her. I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me

So if loud noise don’t bother her should I just put her in the play room? She would be in a corner and I can put maybe a shower curtain that’s not see through on the sides? I can’t do my room anymore because she’s a Jackson and need cool temps during the night and I like my room hot lol 🥵. I have been sleeping on a little couch in the playroom with a heater and I want my bed back lol. Also there will be a ac in that room in the summer and I really don’t use the one in my room much. As for the living room we have a kitten that is constantly trying to climb her cage and get her bugs so if she’s downstairs in the living room I will not be able to see if the kitten is bothering her. I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me
Put the kids in the closet😈
Just kidding😉

I'd definitely give it a try. I think it's a better option than a closet for the reasons that @Beman had previously mentioned (air flow, temp changes and outlet availability).

So im going to try the living room. I told
My nieces they need to just keep the lights off. They don’t watch tv the oldest one plays games sometimes at night but her cage will not be around it. I’m really hoping they find a apartment by may! The only thing is how in the summer can I keep it cold at night I don’t have central air. And my living room windows won’t fit a ac they are like tall and open sideways.

Are the closet doors louvered?

What about in the closet, but instead of closing the door, pull a curtain across the front of the enclosure? Curtain only needs to reach the level of the bottom of the enclosure (or top of the screened panel at the bottom of the front) so as not to impede air flow. Also doesn't need to extend the entire width of the closet.

Last edited:
So im going to try the living room. I told
My nieces they need to just keep the lights off. They don’t watch tv the oldest one plays games sometimes at night but her cage will not be around it. I’m really hoping they find a apartment by may! The only thing is how in the summer can I keep it cold at night I don’t have central air. And my living room windows won’t fit a ac they are like tall and open sideways.
You can put ice packs on top of the cage and a fan to circulate the air this will help drop the temp.

I used to keep my aquarium sump/refugium/live rock in the closets next to where the display tank was. I just had a curtain instead of the doors. You could add small fans for air flow which would remove the worry of mold or extreme temps. Not sure about your outlet situation, but if that's easiest for you, it could work with some tweaking. Not that I disagree with anyone's point about the closet, but it's possible if you need to.

If you had to have the door closed then I feel the only option would be putting vents in the doors with fans.

All that said, I think the cham would be fine around people. I just wouldn't have lights on at night.

I used to keep my aquarium sump/refugium/live rock in the closets next to where the display tank was. I just had a curtain instead of the doors. You could add small fans for air flow which would remove the worry of mold or extreme temps. Not sure about your outlet situation, but if that's easiest for you, it could work with some tweaking. Not that I disagree with anyone's point about the closet, but it's possible if you need to.

If you had to have the door closed then I feel the only option would be putting vents in the doors with fans.

All that said, I think the cham would be fine around people. I just wouldn't have lights on at night.
My words didn’t come out right. When I said put her in the closet I didn’t mean shove her in the back and shut doors all time. I was planning to just put her like right in there in the front and only shut door when kids where playing. Or just shut a little bit. I see where it looks like I meant yea I’m just going to shove her in my closet all set 😂 but I do have a outlet right outside the closet and I did measure the wires where they would reach. I’m also planning on taking down the pole and the top shelf so her cage will be high. I went downstairs to talk to my nieces and shut off all the lights and with the gaming computer on it lights up the room. And also her lights goes off at 830 they come home at 9 so there would be lights going on and off cooking and talking loud all when she is sleeping. So it’s like do I want her in the front of the closet where I could remove the door and hang a sheet up and the kids play a couple times in there till 8 the room is warm during the day and cold at night completely dark by 830. Or do I want her downstairs where lots of activity during the night really cold in the morning hot at night in the summer? I know I’m probably being annoying. Like I said I was never prepared for a chameleon. I just want to do best by her I still think both places are heaven to her compared to where she was before in a small fish tank like one branch only meal worms and young kids constantly grabbing her and picking her up. Please don’t take my wording if I sound rude or anything sometimes my words come out bitchy when I don’t mean too 😂 I respect all of anyone’s answers

Ok so I moved her down stairs in the living room. Right now she hates it 🤦🏽‍♀️ I’m hoping she will get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom