Ok, im a little confused. .

mattj

So lately I have been questioning the age of my male veiled. I got him two months ago and was told at the shop that he was appx 4 months old. That was also loosely confirmed on here after posting some pics. So I was going with that, somewhere around 3-4 months.

After seeing some other members pics showing their 5 month old veiled I started thinking hes younger than I thought or I have a midget chameleon.

So I was just in another reptile shop and they had a "baby veiled" I asked how old she was and was told about 4 months. Then was told that another male they had, which was huge, was 6 months. The guy said when they first got the female the cage wasnt set up right, no heat lamp etc.

I feed him appx 6-8 crickets a day and mix in some wrms here and there. Hes only shed once since ive had him. I need some input as to wether im feeding him enough or what.

How old is he now? At 3-4 months he should have been fed as much as he could eat in 5 minutes, 1-2 times a day. Post a picture (preferably on a ruler so we can see how big he is.) If you post a pic we can hopefully help you determine if he is unusually small or if he is growing just fine. Some chameleons are just slower growers, no matter how much you feed them or how perfect your care is. Some people also just feed their chameleons a LOT of food and they end up growing very fast. Each one grows differently.

There are a wide range of growth rates in chameleons when young. From what I have seen and read, the sizes typically begin to converge around 9-10 months old.

There are a wide range of growth rates in chameleons when young. From what I have seen and read, the sizes typically begin to converge around 9-10 months old.

Even by then, there can still be a huge difference in size. Even 2-3 year old adults can have a 100+ gram weight difference. Some are always going to be smaller than others.

K heres a couple quick pics. He was a little mad I took him out.

Attachments

• 20130306_174152.jpg
    20130306_174152.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20130306_174155.jpg
    20130306_174155.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 89
How old is he? 5 months? He isn't the smallest veiled I have ever seen, but he isn't gigantic either. I would start feeding him more and see if he grows. If he doesn't grow, have a fecal done at the vets to check for parasites. I have a feeling that he just needs more food. Be sure to weigh him weekly too so you know exactly how much he is growing (if you don't have a scale, a food scale can usually be purchased locally for $10-20)

Back
Top Bottom