Oh..the Humidity!

Chamomile T

Hello Everyone!
I am new here and I have spent the last 4+ days (when ever I had a free moment) reading throughout the forums. I am feeling a lot smarter now thanks to all of your knowledge! :D I was wondering if anybody has used the Zoo Med Habba Mister and if so, how is it working for you? I am looking for an automated mister for our veiled's cage (2'X2'X4') and cost isn't a big factor. I would like something on the quiet side but I read in a review for Habba Mister that it was very noisy. If anyone has any information on this mister or any others it would be really appreciated. The last time I had a Chameleon I lived in Hawaii, it was a Jackson (before they were running wild like they are now there, I had nothing to do with that I assure you. LOL!) I am in Alaska now and I feel like everything I knew then is totally useless now because of the obvious change in climate. I am not having a hard time with the temperature but the lack of humidity here is unreal. The pet store I bought "Harry" from said to use soaked sphagnum moss to help with moisture in the air but it doesn't seem very good for keeping bacteria away?? I mist by hand or 4-5 times a day and have a drip system set up. I also have a humidifier going in the room. I keep humidity at 50-60 percent but it is an all day task right now to do so. The kids are starting to miss me because I am constantly tending to Harry's cage. Any suggestions on cold climate chameleon care would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Shannon

I just set up my Habba Mist yesterday

Yes it is noisy, but with the settings it doesn't really matter. You can set it to go off for 15, 30, 45 or 60 SECONDS at a time every 1,3,6 or 12 hours. So the noise doesn't really bother me since it's over by the time you realize what the noise is. As for the chams it doesn't seem to bother them. It went off while they were sleping and they didn't budge or open an eye. Somewhere I read that someones chams would recognize the noise and go over for a drink when it went off. I don't know if that is true or not. Cna't remember where I read it.
What kindof cage do you have? Is it a screen or aquarium. Some of the water does just run off and land on the bottom of my aquarium, not to much and I just set it to go off less frequently. It makes the humidity go up just a bit. If you add the extra tube and nozzel then you can have it spray in 2 different different directions. I wish it held more water though. I got mine from petsmart for $53...the one time I don't look around first and then I see it at a site for way cheaper. Here is a link. the lowest price is first.

http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=642

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/-/zoo-med-habba-mist-auto-mist-system/

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=320

I had a Fogger that really helped with my humidity. I am getting rid of my extra unused one in the classifieds if your interested. Please not though that the mist does really work well, but water then lands on the bottom. Probably true with everything though. Plus I didn't have anything else for it to land on. Hope this helps Tara

Hi Shannon, welcome to the chameleon forums :)

I have never used the Zoo Med Habba Mister, but have read stories of it breaking down for people sooner than expected. A lot of people use a higher quality misting system that can cover multiple cages if needed. I recommend browsing this website.

What is the normal humidity in your home? You may want to look at using a cool mist humidifier. Do a search for 'humidifier' on these forums and you will get a lot of results.

Hi.. there is a good article about keeping chameleons "up north" on chameleon news. http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2002/july2002/up_north_caging/up_north.html

I struggle with humidity as well, and finally bought a whole house humidifier. I use it in one room, and it keeps it in the 50-60% range.

I have used a habba mister. They aren't terrible, but really aren't a great source of regular misting because the cycles are so short. You can only run them 60 seconds every hour. And, they are noisy. I used mine for a short time (a month or so) and then sold it on Ebay.

Heika

Last edited:
I too have tried the Habba Mister and it drove me crazy with the noise. I have a bunch in my supply closet I should try to sell lol. Anyone want a Habba Mister? Used once and will sell at half the price!

Let me know lol.

LOL Jenna....I have 5 in a closet! Also used only once...what a rip! They were so noisy, all going on and off at the same time that my bird (in another room even) started screetching at the top of her lungs and kept it up for hours until I couldn't take it anymore. They didn't work all that well either, in my opinion. I also switched to humidifiers. Good link, Lele

Thank you!

You have all been really helpful! Looks like I won't be using the Habba system, mostly because of the noise. I really like the RAINMAKER JR. MISTING SYSTEM KIT ™ that Brad had a link to. It looks perfect but I was wondering if they are hard to make on your own? From the pictures shown, it looks like a trip to the home improvement store. Has anyone tried to make their own system?? I will also be buying a new and improved humidifier and use that at least until I see some signs of summer.

Brad, I think the Humidity of the house is anywhere from 15-20%?? I am not really sure but I know it is very, very low. The Chameleon's cage it the best spot to be in right now for dry skin! :p

Heika, Great link! We looked at pegboard while building Harry's cage but I couldn't get passed the idea that the particle board would swell up with any contact to water, even with the laminated board the inside of the holes are exposed. I may give it a shot sometime. Maybe as a removable back that will slide up against the screen during the winter months and then removed in the summer.
Thanks again for all your help.
Shannon

I am using Laminated peg board on the back side of my cham cage, and it hasn't swelled up, and usually, the water just runs down it and eventually evaporates.

I haven't seen anything like trapped water in it, or any signs of swelling.

Jenna,

I'm interested in the Habba. How much shipped to NY? Is it the newer model with the larger resevoir system?

Please e-mail me at [email protected]. Also interested in screen chameleon enclosures if you have any.

-Frank

Making your own...

Chamomile T said:
but I was wondering if they are hard to make on your own? From the pictures shown, it looks like a trip to the home improvement store. Has anyone tried to make their own system?? I will also be buying a new and improved humidifier and use that at least until I see some signs of summer.

Shannon - here are some articles on misting systems, humidifiers, making your own, etc. photos inluded ;)

http://www.chameleonnews.com/humidifier.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/watering.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2004/jan2004/misting/misting.html

hope this helps! :)

I think the Humidity of the house is anywhere from 15-20%?? I am not really sure but I know it is very, very low.
The climate change from Hawaii to Alaska must have been fun to get used to ;)

About the pegboard. I have yet to use it, but you could probably get some extra sealant for those peg holes. Just make sure it is safe for the chameleon.

Brad said:
The climate change from Hawaii to Alaska must have been fun to get used to ;)

I feel like a frozen raisin! LOL! Summers make up for the winter 150% though. It really isn't that bad in the winter for someone who likes to play in the snow every weekend.I have been up here for awhile and I am still a wimp to the cold. I really, really miss the ocean!!

Pegboard: I wonder if I just rubbed some wax on the inside of the holes if that would protect it from water getting in? It probably isn't a long term fix but I am guessing it is safer for the chameleon than something with chemicals. Drake said he hasn't had any problems with his laminated board swelling with water. I guess I will just try it and see. ;)

-Shannon

lele said:
Shannon - here are some articles on misting systems, humidifiers, making your own, etc. photos inluded ;)

http://www.chameleonnews.com/humidifier.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/watering.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2004/jan2004/misting/misting.html

hope this helps! :)

Lele, Thanks for the links! I really liked the last one with the pictures. It was very informative. I think I have decided that I could probably could make my own eventually.. after many mistakes, trips to the store and a lot of wasted time spent scratching my head, so I will just purchase one instead.:D If anyone has/does build their own I would like to see pictures.
-Shannon

Hi Shannon,

I built my own a while back with a garden sprayer. Here are some pics:

The system:

mistingsystemmess.jpg

The sprinkler timer is programmed to come on 4 times a day, 20 minutes each time.

100_0269.jpg

I added the filter after cat hair kept clogging the heads. How it invaded the system, I haven't a clue?!? The black thing is the water valve.

100_0268.jpg

Garden sprayer, where I build my muscles every morning pumping it up:

100_0266.jpg

The heads inside the cage:

mistingheads.jpg

I switched from nails to screws for the heads after the third or fourth time they came undone while he was climbing on them:

100_0276.jpg

Where the extra water goes:

bucket.jpg

This set up is simple but it works out well for the one cage that I have on the misting system. I would be willing to do two cages with this, but beyond that, I would want to either connect it to a water line and eliminate the garden sprayer, or go to a pump driven system.

Heika

Thanks, Drake! I bought plans for the system here:
http://www.baskinglizards.com/product_info.php?products_id=143

There are a couple sites that have free information about building them that I didn't know about until after I built this one:

http://www.trix.com/binx/mister/
http://www.barrs.com/spray.htm

It wasn't that hard to build, but it did take some time. Finding all the parts here in town was a bit hard, especially the sprinkler heads. I didn't want to buy those crappy looking sprinkler heads on the basking lizard site, and finally settled on the Mist & Cool heads after trying a couple different kinds.

Heika

Chamomile T said:
Lele, Thanks for the links! I really liked the last one with the pictures. It was very informative. I think I have decided that I could probably could make my own eventually.. after many mistakes, trips to the store and a lot of wasted time spent scratching my head, so I will just purchase one instead.:D If anyone has/does build their own I would like to see pictures.
-Shannon

I realized after that I linked that Brad already posted two had...oops. Well, you know they come well recommended! lol! Anyway, glad they helped. Consider the humidifier option, too. Very easy and inexpensive.

Where in Alaska are you? I know another cham keeper up there. I still think the day length aspect would be the weirdest adjustment. :confused:

I am in Anchorage, the "Big City". There are about 300,00 people living here so I guess it isn't too small, a lot bigger than Kona, Hi! I haven't met another person yet that owns a chameleon of any type, but I am just getting started. Most people I run into here have snakes or bearded dragons, a lot of bearded dragons! We have about four pet stores here in town but only two that could doubt keep a cricket alive. I get sad when I go into those bad stores so I really try to stay out. I had to go to a new locally owned store a day ago because everyone else was amazingly out of crickets (scary). They has Jacksons and a really huge Mellers. It was the first one I have ever seen in person. The poor thing was in such bad shape. All white (I read that when they are all white they are close to dying), really sunken eyes and gaping mouth. His body was about 12" w/o tail and he was in a 10 gallon glass cage with a plastic plant and a waterfall to drink from. They don't have any temp./humid. gages in any of the reptile/amphibian enclosures and to top things off there was a dead baby iguana in the baby iguana cage. Not just that morning dead, but at least a week dead! I was ready to talk to the owner but when the 65+ woman with leather pants and with a tattoo as big as my head (not that there's anything wrong with that:eek:) came out, I totally wimped out.I asked where they got there Mellers and she said a supplier from CA. Turns out she also owns the Harley shop next door :eek: . I will be calling the humane society instead. I know...balk balk balk..I shouldn't be so intimidated. I will never go back there again( they shorted me on crickets anyway), but I am really thinking about the Mellers. I have no clue about how to care for a mellers, but it sounds really difficult and I can only imagine the size of enclosure they need. Also, I know that you shouldn't buy a sick chameleon because it will probably die and then the store will just get another one to fill the old one's spot but I feel sooooooo bad!They wanted $150 for him. I just wish he could be saved by someone who knows something (not me).Grrrr...so frustrating! Sounds like it happens all the time from looking through the forums. Okay..that was my rant'in and rav'in for today.
-Shannon

Back
Top Bottom