Oh no......

Chameleon crazy

I was getting crickets for my Bearded dragon and I accidentally slipped and a few of them jumped back into the cricket container. I also feed my chamelon from these crickets, and I won't get more until Tue-Wed. Would it be alright to feed my cham. from these crickets? My bearded dragon did touch the container often and the crickets that got back in had his vitamins on them. Or should I just feed a variety of fruit and vegetables until the crickets get here?

Thanks!:)

I think that the problem is that the crickets were in the Beard cage and had the supplement for the beard on them... Maybe worried about contamination from the beard. cage transferring over to the cham cage if he is to feed the cham those crickets.... RIght????

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Yes, I'm worried about contamination from my beardie to my Cham. As I heard that the germs they carry can wipe your Cham right out.:confused::(

I'm not a reptile expert by any means but I have never heard of that. I even used my beardies water dish to collect dripping water for about a month until I got a better drainage system going... never had any problems.

But I suppose there could be some probs with that, hopefully some more experienced cham owners will step in and help.

as all things in life there is risk to any transfer between pets. some zooskeepers wash their hands in bleach between cages....obviously if you are working with exotic endangered species all bets are off
it is my understanding from discussion with my vet last week that beardies can carry coccidia (sp) without symptoms. according to this forum coccidia not good for chams. on the other hand the cricket still has to eat stool from the beardie if and only if the beardie has it to get it. then you have to actually feed the cricket from the beardie cage to your cham......as i said its all about your tolerance for risk.

good luck:eek:

Sean

Last edited:
as all things in life there is risk to any transfer between pets. some zooskeepers wash their hands in bleach between cages....obviously if you are working with exotic endangered species all bets are off
it is my understanding from discussion with my vet last week that beardies can carry coccidia (sp) without symptoms. according to this forum coccidia not good for chams. on the other hand the cricket still has to eat stool from the beardie if and only if the beardie has it to get it. then you have to actually feed the cricket from the beardie cage to your cham......as i said its all about your tolerance for risk.

good luck:eek:

Sean

My thoughts exactly. And, for this reason, I wouldn't do it.

I feed my chams first and then any leftovers go into my beardies cage at the end of the day. I have been doing this for more then a while now with no health issues at all. I have never used cricks from the beardie cage and place them in the cham cages. I personally do not see a big issue in this the way I have been doing it but I understand the risks for the other way around from beardie to cham...not to expand on this but I don't know how many concerns there would be there.

nuke the crickets and clean the cage.

I had my veild out at the park a few weeks ago...
This chick and her BF came over with a berdie on her shoulder
she asked if she could see my veiled as she reached out to touch him.

I pulled him back protectively
and was like "don't touch him !... you might have some disease! (very loudly).

yeah well I offended her a bit
and had to explain things to her so that she would understand. ;)

it's not worth the risk...
a few bucks worth of crickets
or your pet that you're responsible for taking (healthy) care of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom