Off topic of chams -Hognose snake?-

King4Zerg

Hey guys! I was wondering if any of y'all know anything about western hognose snakes? I've been planning on getting one and there are some things that I can't find on websites and stuff. If any of you guys know anything about the following questions please reply:

What type of bulb should I get? I thought about a mercury bulb but I can't find anything on in.
Should I use paper towels or bedding?
And last but not least which is better, female or male? I've seen a lot of opinions but they go both ways.

If any of you guys are experienced owners of Western Hognose Snakes please let me know

Thanks!

Hogs are nice I had one that lived til about 12-13yrs old, kept him in about a 20 gal tank I think. I used sand with a hid box, or hollow half log. I kinda changed it around. From what I remember I kept his heat in the cage durning the day about 83-90, at night if it was cold I used a heating pad or heat strips about 1/4 of the cage. Used a regular light from the pet store, spectrum was fine. I'd feed him in his cage and never had an issue with compaction. Never use cedar or pine in a snake cage as they have 2 lungs but mainly use one lung, the other lung is useless or absent and they can get sick easy, especially if that crap cedar/pine gets wet. I used a bowl for water. Put the bowl on the other side of the cage away from the heating pad in case he knocks it over, otherwise he can burn himself do to heated water and glass/sand, mine (meadhead) used to like to hiss and flatten out and if I messed with him he'd roll over like an idiot lol. I had a male and he was a little over 2ft, females get bigger up to 3+. I ran my lights about 8-12hrs depending on season and how he felt each week/month. They like to hide and burrow, my breader friend used ripped up newspaper. I didn't like it when I used it, so I went the way they live in the real world sand etc. If a snakes stupid enough die when you spoil them then there's usually something else going on with them. Mine never bit, struck at me at times but no marks, all show. I had a 15ft albino Burmese that got pneumonia and at the time before shots like they have now a days I had to force a pill into his mouth using a lubbed up pencil/eraser end to shove it down till he got better. Talk about a fight, never again lol. Hogs are easy to bread, mix up food, pinkies, lizards if you can catch some etc. they like the hunt and it provides them a what I felt a better nutrition.
If you ever hear him wheezing out of the norm take him to a vet sooner than later, that'll save you money in the long run and they'll recover quicker. Snakes will be picky and won't eat for days or weeks depending on male/female, temp, light etc. don't worry as instinct kicks in. Just as chameleons, they'll eat sooner or later. Only the stong survive, if not as stated something else was going on. Watch out for mites, if you own many snakes always check them for mites then treat'm as that's stressing to them and spreads.
I took mine out as much as I could, gave him exercise and it built up his confidence/trust. I had finches I'd feed mine also. Most go by the book, but my theory was if they'd eat random food in real life there's no difference within a cage. You'll notice a change in the sheds and colors by changing up his food routine.
Good luck, I've owned everything from rubber boas to anacondas to emeral green tree boas. Mean and huge teeth, my fave was a rattlesnake named Shaky Jake that I had the renowned snake god Al Robbins remove his venom sacks, bite but wouldn't kill ya, he got used to being handled but was still scary as it's painful as the fangs are pretty long and if they hit a bone in the hand you'll cry lol.

Last edited:
@Crackhead I have another question, did you use a heating pad or a bulb? and if you used the bulb did you just get a heat one of something that gives it other stuff like uv rays?

Back when I had him I used the corner of a heating pad, just a sliver under the cage. Temp monitored every few days. Now a days you can use ceramic heat bulb if needed, it all depends where you live and where the cage is located, some people have snakes in their homes, I had so many all mine were in my garage, it got cold out there, low enough pipes would freeze. I never used any lights as a heat source at night, try to keep things as natural as you can. I wouldn't use a bulb for heat at night for any pet. Technology now a days is over the top, in a glass cage most fluorescent lights or bulbs durning the day will heat it. Having a Cam you'll have no problems as a Hogs are pretty easy pets. My friend runs one of these under his cages and he loves it. Look around as you can find many types as ya know :)
https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Thermo...FBWPMAWZPZR&psc=1&refRID=6HKM4JEJYFBWPMAWZPZR

Sorry for bugging, but another buddy has this extra one if you'd like to buy it. He said its mint, works great and doesn't need it as he's running heat strips under cages/tanks with another meter. They sell for over $50-60+ easy if interested I'll get it and all he wants is $40. The shipping will be about $5. I'll do that at cost. Guaranteed satisfaction or I'll give ur money back. Doing it for you only. You can message me, not sure if I'm breaking the rules by letting you know :/
I know a few people who use these and they love'm. Very accurate thermostat. Works great with heat lamps, ceramic bulbs and under cage pads. It has a day/night senor so there's a lot of options. If used under cage you can set both day/night temps the same. I'm sure YouTube has people showing and giving advise. I loved snakes til they bit ya and if they were big ones it got scary and you bled a lot, as they'd grip and then regrip and by the time you stuck'm under water so they'd let go the water would be red lol. That's how I gave my albino ^^^^ pneumonia. They have to release to breath, just don't try to pry them off as you'll get ripped up. They have to let go or ur going to see the dr because of ur injuries if you fight'm. Lesson learn, just passing along lmao. Rubbing alcohol works to, it stings the shit out of them.

Attachments

• IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Thank you for the offer and the advice, I really appreciate it! I would accept your offer but I'm not planning on getting a hognose for a while, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom