odorless cricket keeper?!?!???

Neat but seems way too much effort! My crickets don't smell, as long at the top has huge air holes and the container stays dry and mold-free, it shouldn't smell like much. Also, I highly recommend alfalfa. It's great for gutloading and it smells good (at least to me) so my bins smell like alfalfa and nothing else.

i will def give alfalfa a try. yea this does seem like alot of effort, but i keep my cricket keeper clean and mold free and every time i go to get them out....ugh yuk. hahaha maybe im just overly sensitive to the smell

buddy needs some gutloading tips....

lol, you must have to really like crickets to think/make something like that. i honestly never really have an odor problem with my crickets. if feeding ingredients with a nice smell (orange, peach,) will help reduce the same, and as the video said, ventilation.

its a cool invention for sure though!

P.S Canadian maple bacon & pancakes for dinner is heaven tonight

Imo, the main thing with crickets is to keep them well hydrated(ilike orange chuncks) and well ventilated. Remove dead crickets every day and you will have less die-off. The dead give off a gas that kill more crickets, and smells bad. I have found the odor much less offensive after removing the dead crickets...

Why not breed dubia roaches? They're much easier to keep and you can feed anything from a spiderling tarantula/hatchling chameleon to an adult bearded dragon. They also breed a lot faster and have a higher nutritional value than crickets. They also don't jump all over the place and don't have any scent at all. They will also climb up branches and screen sides to your chameleons level. Just don't use them with animals that have substrate because they will burrow after a little while.

(in asian voice) 'Ok, young grasshopper, or cricket, rather.' First off, crickets really don't smell that bad if you house them in the right fashion. Secondly, that vent, filter, airflow video is WAY too much needed to house crickets successfully.

Here's my method. Step one: One giant tubberwear container. Apply 2" of clear packaging tape around the top inner wall of the container.

Step Two: Take the lid and put it in the closet or out of the way, you won't need it!

Step Three: Put in your crickets and egg cartons for them to climb on. Add in some bug burger and some fresh kale/collar greens.

Step Four: Sit back and enjoy your very LOW maintenance cricket keeper. If it starts to smell then clean it out.

With this 'topless' method you will have a much higher success rate at keeping them alive and also keeping the smell WAY down. I use this method and keep 1,000 crickets till they breed in my chameleon room and they don't smell unless you stick your face inside the bin. The crickets can't jump out because the sides of the container are too high and the packaging tape keeps them from crawling over the sides. Trust me on this one, i've tried many, MANY methods of keeping crickets and this is the way to go. Enjoy!

Why not breed dubia roaches? They're much easier to keep and you can feed anything from a spiderling tarantula/hatchling chameleon to an adult bearded dragon. They also breed a lot faster and have a higher nutritional value than crickets. They also don't jump all over the place and don't have any scent at all. They will also climb up branches and screen sides to your chameleons level. Just don't use them with animals that have substrate because they will burrow after a little while.

Darn any way for people to do it that have cockroach allergies?

I wasn't actually aware that somebody could be allergic to cockroaches. My bad. I guess I just didn't consider that aspect. I would have thought that crickets would be able to cause more allergy issues.

Back
Top Bottom