Odd??

JoshCrane1

20min after lights out i find kamila my 5mo female veiled going to sleep on the bottom of her cage, not on her small pothos sitting on the bottom, but right on the white base next to a pothos vine. ive noticed her rummaging around in the pothos late in the evening a couple of times in the past month; but today she actually fell asleep sitting on the bottom.:confused:

im thinking she is trying to cool down for a deep sleep. top of cage: 80 degrees. bottom of cage: 72 degrees.

other than this, she is healthy, happy, eating well, pooping well, and being a anti-social queen.

does my assumption sound correct? comments?thanks.

I know shes only five months but is there a chance she is looking for a place to lay? Depending on your temps and feeding she may be carrying eggs that young...though she does look pretty small.

new pic, with size comparison. she's got a huge 12" pot for the shefflera i was thinking she would claw at that. and ive been keeping her temps relatively low just for that reason.

Sort of hard to tell with her all stretched out like that. Do you have a sandbox in with her? We use a 50/50 mix of organic soil and washed playsand with ours. Maybe if you can get a side pic of her just sitting on a branch or some other relaxed pose.

If your temps near the top are only mid 80s its hard to believe she is digging for a cooler spot. I would suggest trying to get a few relaxed pics from today

yeah when i noticed her earlier after lights went out it was 80 at the top and 72 at the bottom, now i just checked again and its 77 at the top and 72 at the bottom.

i havent put in a box yet, i was gonna wait a few more months, but i just might have to put one in just incase.

yeah bad pic, IMO she aint prego yet, but ill get some better pics.

Do not wait on that box. Have one in there by 5 months for sure. I've heard some people who have said they never realized their females were carrying eggs...some just don't really show that much I suppose. Your temps sound a little high for nightime. I would try to lower those temps a a bit, get a laying box, and see if she changes at all. Hope this helps some. :)

i tried to sneek a pic while she was sleeping , but she caught me.lol ill get a box asap. try to lower the night temps, but its hard here in florida. she still sleeps pretty deep.

Last edited:
Again, a bit hard to tell. Get her a box, try to lower the temps a bit, and just keep an eye on how much shes eating and if she becomes restless at all. I believe it is most likely either temps or eggs so hopefully you will figure out your answer soon. Good luck :)

I agree that she needs to be provided with a suitable laying area and lower night time temps.
Night time temp here: 60 degrees f.

-Brad

yeah, ill go tomarrow and get organic soil and playsand to make her a good digging box.

but as far as getting night time temps lower, this could be a problem. i go outside and the thermometer reads 80 degrees at 3am. my a/c is prob. on all day as it is during the summer. but gettin it lower than 72 is very hard and costly.
my temps at my house stay about 75 degrees. so my ambient temps are never above 75. and the basking temp i keep at 85-88.

-

Anyway to get a small window unit for the room shes in? You can find one for less that $100 and keep it on low just at night...just an idea. We've had to do that in places with no a/c

Back
Top Bottom