Odd behavior

That's what I was thinking. Have you seen any threads on a way to lift the light from the top of the screen to give it more room without suspending it from the ceiling?

There’s lots of ways to raise the lights and it’s limited only by flammability and your imagination. I use small wire baskets from the dollar store. If you want to get fancy, there’s ReptiRisers on Etsy. Some have crafted their own version of those.

20220714_120132.jpg

Caught him being a weirdo at the bottom of the cage again today. All black spots and pacing around on the screen.

20220714_120121.jpg
Earlier it seemed as though he was desperately trying to wedge himself between the planter and the wall of the screen. Now that I'm posting, I'm noticing him looking at the picture of the lizard on the light bulb box and may have answered my own question.

Attachments

• 20220714_120101.jpg
    20220714_120101.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 62
Been having a similar issue with a female veiled about 8 months. I can't say that there is anything near the cage that would bother her, however. I can already tell my my lighting may be part of the issue since I have the standard dual dome sold by pet shops with a 5.0 UVB and one of the blue basking bulbs. The basking spot was fairly close to the top of the cage so I figured it would be fine since she rarely strays from the basking spot. I do have a 12 inch T5 but I believe it's a 10.0. I also have a light meter but it reads UVA and UVB at the same time with no way to differentiate between the two readings as it's a combined reading. Output is mW/cm2 or uW/cm2 but, I have no idea what kind of reading I should be getting with this type of device. Should have spent the extra 50 bucks and got the standard reptile UV meter. This is a general tools UV513AB if that helps. I could rearrange her cage a bit so she's getting the right amount of UV if I knew what kind of reading to expect with the meter. With the current setup her basking spot is around 85F.

Back on topic. She's about 7-8 months, I believe. Been a daily eater of crickets, dubia, super worms, horn worms and daily veggie of mustard green, dandelion greens ect. I dust the insects a few times a week with two different multivitamins and two different calcium (with and without D) that I rotate. She hasn't eaten much of anything for a couple weeks. She did react to a single cricket and a couple of horn worms but not much else. Her only concern seems to be getting out of the cage. I try not to handle her unless she really wants to be handled. As of late, I can't even open the door without her literally flying into my arms so, I have taken her outside to get some shaded sun here and there. It's about the only time she relaxes and she seems to be content just sitting there. She's obviously stressed about something since she's showing her spots and stripes, although faintly. She's normally just green unless I spook her and then her spots and stripes really show. She's very restless lately, though. Just wanders about her cage looking for something. I haven't really had any issues up until now except she was eating dirt from the potted plants so I had to remove all but one of them since it had enough leaf coverage to discourage the dirt eating. I'm rather new to reptiles so I'm rather concerned at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Been having a similar issue with a female veiled about 8 months. I can't say that there is anything near the cage that would bother her, however. I can already tell my my lighting may be part of the issue since I have the standard dual dome sold by pet shops with a 5.0 UVB and one of the blue basking bulbs. The basking spot was fairly close to the top of the cage so I figured it would be fine since she rarely strays from the basking spot. I do have a 12 inch T5 but I believe it's a 10.0. I also have a light meter but it reads UVA and UVB at the same time with no way to differentiate between the two readings as it's a combined reading. Output is mW/cm2 or uW/cm2 but, I have no idea what kind of reading I should be getting with this type of device. Should have spent the extra 50 bucks and got the standard reptile UV meter. This is a general tools UV513AB if that helps. I could rearrange her cage a bit so she's getting the right amount of UV if I knew what kind of reading to expect with the meter. With the current setup her basking spot is around 85F.

Back on topic. She's about 7-8 months, I believe. Been a daily eater of crickets, dubia, super worms, horn worms and daily veggie of mustard green, dandelion greens ect. I dust the insects a few times a week with two different multivitamins and two different calcium (with and without D) that I rotate. She hasn't eaten much of anything for a couple weeks. She did react to a single cricket and a couple of horn worms but not much else. Her only concern seems to be getting out of the cage. I try not to handle her unless she really wants to be handled. As of late, I can't even open the door without her literally flying into my arms so, I have taken her outside to get some shaded sun here and there. It's about the only time she relaxes and she seems to be content just sitting there. She's obviously stressed about something since she's showing her spots and stripes, although faintly. She's normally just green unless I spook her and then her spots and stripes really show. She's very restless lately, though. Just wanders about her cage looking for something. I haven't really had any issues up until now except she was eating dirt from the potted plants so I had to remove all but one of them since it had enough leaf coverage to discourage the dirt eating. I'm rather new to reptiles so I'm rather concerned at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
That sounds like it could be an imminent egg-laying event. I don't know much about it, but I'd suggest making your own thread and answer the husbandry questions that you can find in one of the pinned posts, and describe the issue you've got in detail. There are some very knowledgeable folks here who can help.

I did feel around her belly but didn't feel anything that might indicate eggs as this was my first thought as well. Thank you, though. I'll do that.

Hi there I have some advice for you and I’m sure others will chime in but could you start your own thread in the health forum and we’ll all be glad to help. Posting under another persons post makes everything confusing.

Back
Top Bottom