Nylon Tights... and grass

Due to the number of plants (all safe) I have in the breezer, the bottom is like almost all soil, minus the pots, and of course "Fella" does like to investigate his surround every day.

So I am mildly concerned that he might decide to eat the soil, and then make himself unwell, which left me to think about "cheap" screening, and this brings me to Nylon Tights.

I am wandering if I can use them as a temporary screen, my thinking being, but I need clarification that I could stretch these over the soil, and introduce more soil underneath, remove the plants and plant them in this soil (Coconut 70% Sand 30%) with a sprinkling of organic soil on top, then plant grass seeds.

The grass bit is assuming that grass (lawn variety) is safe for cham's?

My thinking being, that the grass should hold the substrate together and once it does I can remove the Tights, as Fella should no longer be able to easily eat the substrate.

I know bes advice is 0% substrate, and good selection of live plants, so a compromise needs to be found in my estimation.

Any advice/opinions gratefully received. :)

Due to the number of plants (all safe) I have in the breezer, the bottom is like almost all soil, minus the pots, and of course "Fella" does like to investigate his surround every day.

So I am mildly concerned that he might decide to eat the soil, and then make himself unwell, which left me to think about "cheap" screening, and this brings me to Nylon Tights.

I am wandering if I can use them as a temporary screen, my thinking being, but I need clarification that I could stretch these over the soil, and introduce more soil underneath, remove the plants and plant them in this soil (Coconut 70% Sand 30%) with a sprinkling of organic soil on top, then plant grass seeds.

My thinking being, that the grass should hold the substrate together and once it does I can remove the Tights, as Fella should no longer be able to easily eat the substrate.

I know bes advice is 0% substrate, and good selection of live plants, so a compromise needs to be found in my estimation.

Most grass will need more bright direct light than it will get in the lower part of a cham cage. You could lay a piece of window screen over the substrate to prevent him from eating chunks of it. Hold it down with some rocks.

From Another Post

pssh pssh https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/pssh/

Well I would be more concerned with any pesticides/fertilizers that are used on the lawn/grass. Most grass should be fine, though there are some kinds that are really hairy looking/feeling (not usually in a lawn though) that might irritate their eye if they rubbed on it. When the grass starts to make seeds, depending on the type, it could have some pokey bits that I wouldn't want to put my chameleons on. Most should be okay as long as they aren't treated with anything dangerous for the animal (especially if it's a veiled that could possibly take a bite.)

As I would be growing from seed, I am confident I can find a suitable grass.

So what about the Tights?

Still got those Nylons on my mind..

Most grass will need more bright direct light than it will get in the lower part of a cham cage. You could lay a piece of window screen over the substrate to prevent him from eating chunks of it. Hold it down with some rocks.

Thank you

So you have no +- in relation to the use of nylon?

It sounds to me, like you have a perfect plan. I have let lots of my cham down on the grass and never had any problem. Go for it is my vote!!

As I would be growing from seed, I am confident I can find a suitable grass.

So what about the Tights?

Baby's tears could be a great option as well it likes high humidity and low to moderate lighting. And IMO it's much more attractive than plain grass. Just a thought. :)

Does anyone see any issue in using stretched nylon as a temporary barrier from the substrate?

:p

Not for substrate no.... however... I have a very large 1 gallon plastic container at the bottom of both my cages, to catch water from the drippers that I have going all day. I use nylon tights to encase the containers completely, which stops my feeder insects falling in and drowning, as well as my chameleons! It works brilliantly - if any feeders inadvertently fall onto them, they bounce like they're on trampolines!

Grass in Nylons being tented..

Grass in Nylons being tented..

Opted for something being marketed as Shade turf...

From local Garden Centre.. Is probably full of all sorts of nasties so I am working fast to stretch the Nylon.

Too late

i would just go for covering the dirt in big rocks.

He has got fully planted substrate consisting of Coconut Husk 70% Calcium Sand 20% and Sedge Pete 10%, then turf on top, I have stretched the Nylon tights over the turf, this will remain for 7 days whilst my auto mister flushes any nasties deep into the lower substrate.

I will remove the Nylon tights and then allow him free roam over the grass, as the grass should prevent him from eating the none digestible components and any that he does manage to ingest should be in such small qty to not be a problem and pass naturally.

Back
Top Bottom