Nutritional value of wild Katydid grasshoppers

https://globalfoodbook.com/astonishing-benefits-of-grasshoppers
Nutritional Values of Grasshoppers

"Kinyuru et al., (2011) assessed the nutritional ability of green and brown coloured grasshoppers as an alternative for combating nutritional deficiencies. The study showed that the selected grasshoppers contain 37.1% and 35.3% protein, 48.2% and 46.2% fat, 2.8% and 2.6% ash, 3.9% and 4.9% dietary fibre for the green and brown grasshoppers respectively. These grasshoppers also contain macro and trace minerals such as; phosphorus (P) 140.9 mg/100g and 121.0 mg/100g, potassium (K) of 370.6 mg/100g and 259.7 mg/100g, calcium (Ca) of 27.4 mg/100g and 24.5 mg/100g, iron (Fe) of 16.6 mg/100g and 13.0 mg/100g, zinc of 17.3 mg/100g and 12.4 mg/100g in the green and brown grasshopper respectively."

"They also exhibited a retinol concentration of 2.1 μg/g and 2.8 μg/g, riboflavin 1.2 mg/100g and 1.4 mg/100g, α-tocopherol 201.0 μg/g and 152.0 μg/g and niacin 2.1 mg/100g and 2.4 mg/100g for the green and brown grasshopper respectively. The lipid analysis showed that the grasshoppers’ oil contains high quantities of polyunsaturated fatty acids, 89.4% and 84.3% neutral lipids, glycolipids 3.2% and 6.4%, 7.4% and 9.3% phospholipids, for green and brown grasshopper respectively. Furthermore, Ghosh et al., (2016) evaluated the nutrients quality in Oxya hyla hyla grasshopper species. The results showed that this species consists of 64% protein, minerals, vitamins, carbohydrate, amino acids and unsaturated fatty acids. They also reported that this grasshopper is low in antinutritional factors and contains negligible amounts of cholesterol and other fats. These findings support that grasshopper is an excellent source of essential minerals, vitamins and nutrients that are essential for the healthy functioning of the body. This further suggests that this edible insect is suitable for tackling nutritional deficiencies that are increasingly becoming a global concern."

My girl @kinyonga coming through!!!!! That’s awesome information and greatly appreciated!

Here I go again.... @PetNcs says that our gutloads are basically useless when it comes down to your Cham absorbing any kind of nutrition from the content of the feeders stomach. He says a chams stomach doesn’t have the hardware to absorb it from plant material. However he does not advocate discontinuing these practices. In his view gut loading is critical to growing nutritionally robust and/or healthy bugs.

Is this true? No clue, far above my pay grade.

Here I go again.... @PetNcs says that our gutloads are basically useless when it comes down to your Cham absorbing any kind of nutrition from the content of the feeders stomach. He says a chams stomach doesn’t have the hardware to absorb it from plant material. However he does not advocate discontinuing these practices. In his view gut loading is critical to growing nutritionally robust and/or healthy bugs.

Well, to be Fair, I Gut Load Bee Pollen, so therefore that is nixed! For me :). What if James was gut loading Pollen? If your not feeding pollinators, then gutloaded bugs with pollen may be better.

There is also, the breakdown of materials that have already taken place in the Insects stomach, which some of it has.

did you read my gutload blog?

Well, to be Fair, I Gut Load Bee Pollen, so therefore that is nixed! For me :). What if James was gut loading Pollen? If your not feeding pollinators, then gutloaded bugs with pollen may be better.

There is also, the breakdown of materials that have already taken place in the Insects stomach, which some of it has.
I don’t disagree with any of that

you shielded it a bit black and white not exactly the way I think but for the purpose of this discussion I agree to ise this extremal version :)

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with that. There's a good chance this is true. In which case it wouldn't hurt, but might not do anything either. Spirulina(petr's favorite gutload :p) is actually very easy to digest because there is no strong cell wall( from my understanding). so maybe a cham can digest that? Who knows how necessary any of it is though. My latest point was just that, regardless if our gutloads can be utilized or not, *strictly nutritionally speaking*, they are going to be more potent than almost anything we'd find in the wild.

Digestion has two parts...mechanical and chemical. Chewing, etc ...mechanical ways...break the food down into smaller pieces and then the chemical digestion finishes the job with the use of enzymes.
The chameleon obviously can chew the food, including whatever is in the insect's system...but do they have the enzymes in their gut to break down the food into small enough pieces/molecules to be absorbed by the chameleons system? This is part of the reason why the gutload might not matter. Feeding the insect properly will produce a healthy food source for the chameleon...but the gutloading will only help if the chameleon can digest it or maybe if it's broken down enough in the insect already when it's eaten for the chameleon to use....(or REALLY stretching it...if the insects' enzymes continued to work in the chameleons gut??)

Back
Top Bottom