Nutrition influences prey choice...

This article is an interesting read. This article is pertinent/similar to a couple threads I started on other Forums.

Thanks for this article.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:

From the linked article:
In the study that examined prey choice in Senegal Chameleons (J. of Herpetology: V.24, N.4: p.383), different groups of chameleons were fed solely on either Long-Horned Grasshoppers or House Crickets. Over a period of several days, those lizards feeding upon crickets showed a strong preference for grasshoppers, and those on grasshopper-only diets favored crickets.

I have also observed this in other chameleon species under my care at the Bronx Zoo, and in a variety of reptiles and amphibians. As long as the species is acceptable, novel prey usually causes a very strong feeding response. Indeed, zookeepers and hobbyists commonly say that captive herps “become bored” with crickets, mealworms and other staples.
As I was reading, I was thinking this a more likely reason than nutrient-related.
"Oh boy, crickets again... (SSDD) 🤢🤮"

Occam's razor, eh? 🤓 Also reinforces the idea of variety.

I am not going to post the articles. The Calumma Parsonii Forums is now closed. I have got copies on paper. However the main two threads were "Diets for Gravid Female Calumma Parsonii Ssp." and the "The Lack of Grasshoppers/Locust in the Diet of North American Calumma Parsonii Ssp. Keeping". There was one or two other threads that were important that this article parallels.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom