Note to people lurking this forum in hopes of finding a reason to own a chameleon.

kongchi

Do it. :)

Well, do it, IF you can actively fulfill your current favorite chameleon's husbandry. Husbandry does NOT mean the mating of chameleons (that's what I thought, lol) but rather the knowledge, supplies, and attitude to raise (and hopefully enjoy) another living being.

In my honest opinion, no picture of any chameleon you will ever look up, will do the chameleon justice. No pictures at all. Although they are (for the most part) enjoyable to look at. Sometimes I look at a picture and say 'WOW' then click next, forgetting about all the other joys of a chameleon. I forget that those living pieces of art MOVE TOO. They move around their enclosure that you have designed and you have created to be in theirs and yours best interests. Each one has a different attitude as well. Some can be as finicky as a cat, or friendly as a lamb, there are even some as mean as your mother-in-law. Each one you encounter will be a little different. I know my Sebastian is probably one of the most outgoing chameleons you will ever meet. If you open his cage (or even come near it) he will rush to you, climb out, and do that 'invisible sky handshake thing' until you pick him up.

Also, I would say if you constantly read this forum, take everything with a grain of salt. There are some super 'gung ho' member that WILL scare you about owning a chameleon. Their meticulous are handy for the most part, and they will yell if you openly don't follow their lead but sometimes you can just sit back and have a chuckle while they mope. I call those the "chameleon body builders on steroids". You will also come across "Chameleon Angels" like Jannb, laurie, or chams1 who are super nice and very helpful. It's a pleasant mix.

In closing, if you think you can take care of another pet, I would say a chameleon is a nice addition. Literal living pieces of art. If you have any doubts, please, check around on these forums, or even JOIN and start a post yourself! (please make sure your question has not been answered a multitude of times before starting one) I found it easier to go to google and type in:

site:chameleonforums.com

followed by your question and it will only display results from this site. If you are shy you can contact me if you like =) I can help the best I can (though I might not be as knowledgeable as some of the more experienced members, I can sure try)

P.S - Just do it =P

_MG_3772.jpg

Last edited:
That was a really nice post :) I was a member of this forum months before I got my first guy and I can tell you that I was greatly intimidated by chameleon care based on what some members say. Is it like owning a goldfish? Absolutely not, but it's not as daunting as it sounds at first. And it is so much more rewarding, interesting, and amazing than we really advertise. These animals are fantastic.

JUST DO IT;):cool:;):cool:;):cool::D:D

P.S :YOU WONT BE SORRY:p, UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOU WANT MORE!!!!

hey kongchi, awsome post, really heart felt and needed.

but i think you should say "experienced keepers" rather than senior members, not all seniors are experts, that is just a social rep system within the forum community.

overall nice post

Last edited:
That was a really nice post :) I was a member of this forum months before I got my first guy and I can tell you that I was greatly intimidated by chameleon care based on what some members say. Is it like owning a goldfish? Absolutely not, but it's not as daunting as it sounds at first. And it is so much more rewarding, interesting, and amazing than we really advertise. These animals are fantastic.

"Is it like owning a goldfish? Absolutely not" lol

JUST DO IT;):cool:;):cool:;):cool::D:D

P.S :YOU WONT BE SORRY:p, UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOU WANT MORE!!!!

hey kongchi, awsome post, really heart felt and needed.

but i think you should say "experienced keepers" rather than senior members, not all seniors are experts, that is just a social rep system within the forum community.

overall nice post

Yes, you WILL want more, Chameleons are like M & M's

Or RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN:eek:

It's true, it becomes an obsession. Waking up early, heating water, spraying down cages, spending 10 minutes watching your cham eat while drinking your coffee, hand feeding him/her a worm, thinking about what they are thinking about, thinking about them at work, thinking about them allll day!

thank you so much! this is so nice of you to lend a hand. I have to say, some posts are QUITE intimidating. I'm still in the research process and I want to do everything right, so I am so glad that there are helpful ppl out there like you to lend information when needed. the google thing will help a ton! :)

Also, I would say if you constantly read this forum, take everything with a grain of salt. There are some super 'gung ho' member that WILL scare you about owning a chameleon. Their meticulous are handy for the most part, and they will yell if you openly don't follow their lead but sometimes you can just sit back and have a chuckle while they mope.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm crabby today but this struck a bad chord with this "senior member". There are many newbie or wanna-be cham buyers who should never give in to the impulse to keep one and your so-called "gung ho" members have every good intention to scare them off cham keeping. Chams make terrible pets for the majority of potential pet owners; most children, older kids who are just about to leave home for college or work, those who are not very dutiful or detail oriented in the daily attention a pet would need. They are not for the impulsive, the super busy, those with a short attention span, or people who just have to have the "next new thing" or a movie character look alike. Having rescued a number of sick and miserable chams from clueless careless owners I just cannot be so casual about their care.

To prevent suffering of chams who may end up in these kinds of home I will be one of those senior members who discourages or tells horror stories about cham disasters when I see fit. If I ever suggest someone must follow my lead it is for good reason, experience-based. Not because I care how influential my reputation ends up being.

Rant over. Apologies

Also, I would say if you constantly read this forum, take everything with a grain of salt. There are some super 'gung ho' member that WILL scare you about owning a chameleon. Their meticulous are handy for the most part, and they will yell if you openly don't follow their lead but sometimes you can just sit back and have a chuckle while they mope.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm crabby today but this struck a bad chord with this "senior member". There are many newbie or wanna-be cham buyers who should never give in to the impulse to keep one and your so-called "gung ho" members have every good intention to scare them off cham keeping. Chams make terrible pets for the majority of potential pet owners; most children, older kids who are just about to leave home for college or work, those who are not very dutiful or detail oriented in the daily attention a pet would need. They are not for the impulsive, the super busy, those with a short attention span, or people who just have to have the "next new thing" or a movie character look alike. Having rescued a number of sick and miserable chams from clueless careless owners I just cannot be so casual about their care.

To prevent suffering of chams who may end up in these kinds of home I will be one of those senior members who discourages or tells horror stories about cham disasters when I see fit. If I ever suggest someone must follow my lead it is for good reason, experience-based. Not because I care how influential my reputation ends up being.

Rant over. Apologies

I agree with you 100% Carlton, that chameleons aren't an impulse buy AT ALL!!! for me, being a potential chameleon owner, think that it is very important to do your research, and while there are many fun and fascinating things about these creatures, there are also a lot of things that can go wrong, like i am sure you have seen with your rescue chams.... and btw, kudos to you for taking care of those chameleons that need a good home and someone who genuinely cares about them. But I think it is important to share what can happen if you don't take being a chameleon owner seriously, so I am glad that there are senior members like you and kongchi to be a great source of information and support to new owners. thank you.

Ok, so, for the record, I am both young, impulsive, AND busy. I have WANTED a chameleon since I was 9, but didn't do much research as I figured they were just like any other lizard. I went to the reptile show in pamona, a lone behold, the opportunity to get a chameleon presented itself... Again, being impulsive, I bought a Fischer's chameleon... And a small little tank for him. So now I had a lizard that I knew nothing about, and tiny little glass tank... That night I researched and realized I wasn't quite doing it right. That's when the impulsiveness worked for good instead of evil, because I got the clever idea of building a cage for him instead of keeping him in the little glass prison. So literally minutes later I was on my way to home depot buying supplies. I then spent 12 hours straight working on the cage. Soon after I did some more research and found out everything i needed to know about their diet. I then went out and got my little buddy calcium supplements and everything he could possibly need. Now my 3 inch Fischer's chameleon has a 4ft by 3ft by 2ft cage and is happy and healthy, and that's not self diagnosed, breeders and experts have told me so. So there's an example of a completly inexperienced, impulsive, young keeper winding up to he great at the hobby. Will this be the case very often? Probably not. BUT it is wrong to say an impulsive person should be scared out of buying something that could bring them great joy. Instead of scaring them, perhaps it would be better to inform them on what will be required of them to avoid the last minute rushing. Anyway, Moral of the story: DONT DISS THE IMPULSIVE AND SAY WE CAN'T HAVE A CHAMELEON!!!

Ok, so, for the record, I am both young, impulsive, AND busy. I have WANTED a chameleon since I was 9, but didn't do much research as I figured they were just like any other lizard. I went to the reptile show in pamona, a lone behold, the opportunity to get a chameleon presented itself... Again, being impulsive, I bought a Fischer's chameleon... And a small little tank for him. So now I had a lizard that I knew nothing about, and tiny little glass tank... That night I researched and realized I wasn't quite doing it right. That's when the impulsiveness worked for good instead of evil, because I got the clever idea of building a cage for him instead of keeping him in the little glass prison. So literally minutes later I was on my way to home depot buying supplies. I then spent 12 hours straight working on the cage. Soon after I did some more research and found out everything i needed to know about their diet. I then went out and got my little buddy calcium supplements and everything he could possibly need. Now my 3 inch Fischer's chameleon has a 4ft by 3ft by 2ft cage and is happy and healthy, and that's not self diagnosed, breeders and experts have told me so. So there's an example of a completly inexperienced, impulsive, young keeper winding up to he great at the hobby. Will this be the case very often? Probably not. BUT it is wrong to say an impulsive person should be scared out of buying something that could bring them great joy. Instead of scaring them, perhaps it would be better to inform them on what will be required of them to avoid the last minute rushing. Anyway, Moral of the story: DONT DISS THE IMPULSIVE AND SAY WE CAN'T HAVE A CHAMELEON!!!

I never said ALL like you shouldn't have a cham. You were the exception who questioned before your cham was half dead, researched, perservered, and gave your cham a great home.

Back
Top Bottom