Not very bright colors.

vladdimir26

Hello guys I am wondering why my 4 month old veiled chameleon is not a bright emerald green. He is a male and his colors during the day are nothing compared to when he is sleeping. I feel like he's maybe cold? but I checked the temps and they seem fine. During the night when he sleeps his colors are beautiful bright green with bright yellow stripes.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon. 4 months old( i think)Have had him for a week and 1 day.
Handling - Handle him once a day for maybe 5 mins. He is a very chilled guy and doesn't show signs of fear. Will actually crawl into my hand :)
Feeding - Feeding him adult size crickets. 8 crickets every day at about 1:00 pm. Gut loading crickets with wet gut-load blended mixtures of cabbage, lettuce, apples, bananas, bell peppers, oat meal, tomatoes and carrots.
Supplements - Rep-cal WITHOUT D3 everyday, Repti-Cal with D3 and herpetive multivitamins twice a month.
Watering - Cup drip system into one of those leaves. Mist him maybe 4 times a day for a minute. I do have seen him drink
Fecal Description - Poop is just brown and in the white part, no orange so no signs of dehydration. It does smell if you smell it really close but I guess thats how all chameleon's doo doo smells! He has not been tested for parasites
History - I got him from Petco. I have bought all my pets from that store and all of them were nice and healthy. Their cage was actually very tall with lots of plants and a drip system. So I'm not too concerned about it.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Full mesh cage 12x18x20
Lighting - For UVB just a 5.0 Repti-Glo 26w screw-in bulb, (not the linear tube long one) for for heat/UVA just a 60 watt regular bulb with a ceramic heat lamp that I got from the pet store.
Temperature - The cage temps are about 72s in the cool side and about 87-89 in basking spot.(basking branch is about 5-6 inches from the heat lamp) In the night it's in the cool 65s.
Humidity - Humidity is always keeping the ranges from 40-60%. I am having trouble keeping the humidity levels up since it's winter with heat turned so the air gets really dry. Have to mist him really often (more than 5 times a day) to keep the humidity up. Mist him for about 1 min, other wise the cage would be too soaking wet.
Plants - Both of my plants are real. I have a ficus benjamin bonsai, and a pothos.
Placement - Cage is in my room. Very low traffic area. Close to a window(which is close) it's about 2 ft from the floor. Not near any air conditioner or anything like that
Current Problem - The colors during the day are a little dark green with brown stripes. He does not seemed to be stressed or anything like that. But when he goes to sleep, those colors turn very bright emerald green and those brown stripes turn into bright yellow stripes. He is already starting to show some coloration. I have also noticed that he is shedding and he spends most of his day on his basking spot.

Back
Top Bottom