Not sure if he is eating

So I am not sure if calais has been eating :( I have been putting roaches in his feed cup but he doesn't touch them so I would let them loose in his cage but now i'm not sure if he's eating because I can't find them after. I have a lot of live plants for them to hide in. I tried phoenix worms but so far nothing. He looks good and hydrated and isn't looking real skinny but it has been a long time since I got him and I am getting worried. I am used to leopold eating in front of me and being a very good eater so this hunger strike is worrying me. I can't find any poop, there was one a few weeks ago I found that was small. I had him in a huge free range and he was in Leopolds cage for a long time so I couldn't see if he pooped. I put him back in his own cage yesterday to keep a closer eye on him. I tried force feeding him a roach but he wouldn't have it and wouldn't open his mouth and when I finally got it half in he just spit it out. I am not sure what to do. Should I add some gatorade or pedialyte to his dripper water? I also mist so it wouldn't be the only form of hydration. Should I try ordering some hornworms or silkies?

When I had a problem I was told to make sure how much water my cham was getting by forced watering with a syringe or eye dropper with pediolite and do the same with fish oil or olive oil to get him to poop (he did the next day). Of course the initial problem causing his "not eating/pooping" would have to be answered by a senior member here. Some one will reply soon, but you'll have to fill out that form that says "how to ask for help" so they'll have enough information about him to help you properly.

Last edited:
yes on the silkies and horns for sure!!! Maybe he is just plain tired of roaches!!! Wouldn't you be...yuuuk! lol!

donna0125 said..."and do the same with fish oil or olive oil to get him to poop"...be careful with fish oil....it contains D3 and prEformed vitamin A and can lead to an overdose.

justjumpit621...said..."I tried force feeding him a roach but he wouldn't have it and wouldn't open his mouth and when I finally got it half in he just spit it out"..its usually not a good sign when they spit something out when you are forcefeeding them. It might be best to take him to the vets.

donna0125 said..."and do the same with fish oil or olive oil to get him to poop"...be careful with fish oil....it contains D3 and prEformed vitamin A and can lead to an overdose.

justjumpit621...said..."I tried force feeding him a roach but he wouldn't have it and wouldn't open his mouth and when I finally got it half in he just spit it out"..its usually not a good sign when they spit something out when you are forcefeeding them. It might be best to take him to the vets.

Okay. I did order silkworms also. The problem is that I need to wait until next wednesday if I take him because that is when I get paid. He looks fine, isn't sleeping during the day, doesn't keep his eyes closed, always bright colors. He keeps hydrated, drinks well.

Reptiles can go for food for a suprisingly long time as they are cold blooded. I'm sure he will be fine until your worms arrive.

haha yep..tired of the roaches..( and true ive seen some females stop eating for about 2-3 weeks before birthing, or egglaying....but then its back to munching rite after)

haha yep..tired of the roaches..( and true ive seen some females stop eating for about 2-3 weeks before birthing, or egglaying....but then its back to munching rite after)

Yes but I have a male lol. It has been 2 months since I got him and I don't know what he has eaten since then. Thankfully he did like them, he ate 3 definitely and 2 I left in his cage. Leo also loves them and takes them right out of my hand.

i have the same problem with my baby mardi. hell eat at the most three crickets or 2 meal worms. yesterday he ate 5 which is the most he as ever done. im getting some meal worms for him to see if that will increase his appitite

i have the same problem with my baby mardi. hell eat at the most three crickets or 2 meal worms. yesterday he ate 5 which is the most he as ever done. im getting some meal worms for him to see if that will increase his appitite

if it is a chameleon, NO MEALWORMS! If anything get silkworms, hornworms, or dubia roaches. Mealworms have virtually no nutrition and cause impaction.

You can buy them small. Just get a small pod. Maybe ask the distributor if they could give you only small ones, tell them about how big your little guy is. I'm sure they will help you out because they want your business, you know? I believe you can also slow down their growing by putting them in a fridge for a few hours a day. That is what I've been told at least.

Justjump,
Im assuming for time being, you have ruled out a blockage? no substrate, course soil in plants, fake plants?
Basking temp is suitable and the basking area not too exposed?
Has anything at all changed in his world since the time you noticed him not pooing or eating?
You are sure hes actually getting enough water? urate is white or mostly so, last time you noticed poo?
How old is it?

He is pooping. They are white. I think he was just being fussy. It seems when I put a feeder on a branch he will eat it but when I put it in his feed dish he ignores it. He is a year old. No substrate, just potted plants that don't have very easily accessible soil. His basking spot is about 80, and he drinks well.

It may also be because it is winter and temps are cooler and days are shorter. His previous owner said that he started this when it started getting cooler out with shorter days.

Back
Top Bottom