Not shedding

viky2002

Hello, can someone help? My Chameleon wont shed, it started yesterday morning and the skin just won’t come off. I’m not misting him, the humidity is 40%. Vitamins every two weeks and calcium every day with his crickets. Basking spot around 28C for one hour every morning and evening. UVB 6% Arcadia. No idea what is wrong with him, how should i help him ? I’m not an English speaker, sorry for my English
9B8B557C-7543-45FB-BAD4-BDDE71AAEE96.jpeg

Attachments

• B2A1510D-EFF5-4040-AC6F-D04A708CCD9D.jpeg
    B2A1510D-EFF5-4040-AC6F-D04A708CCD9D.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 36
  • BC18BCB7-D938-4D40-8CE6-27B5E1B1AB69.jpeg
    BC18BCB7-D938-4D40-8CE6-27B5E1B1AB69.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 0F38F6B7-B384-48F3-8859-FA5EEBD8ACB8.jpeg
    0F38F6B7-B384-48F3-8859-FA5EEBD8ACB8.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 37
Looks like it is progressing. Make sure he still has access to water to drink. Your doing everything right form your information that you shared. Set up looks good. Temps and humidity are perfect.

As they mature the shedding can go a little slower.

I would consider running your basking in the morning for a few hours rather than the evening. So he can eat in the morning and have time to bask and digest before the temps start reducing for the evening.

Looks like it is progressing. Make sure he still has access to water to drink. Your doing everything right form your information that you shared. Set up looks good. Temps and humidity are perfect.

As they mature the shedding can go a little slower.

I would consider running your basking in the morning for a few hours rather than the evening. So he can eat in the morning and have time to bask and digest before the temps start reducing for the evening.
This is him right now, it’s coming off but really really slow, it looks bad and I feel even worse because I have no idea what I did wrong. Is there a chance it would fall off with the next shed? I kinda miss his green color. I will run the basking in the morning longer like you said, but he also loves morning sunbathing on my window - i hope it’s okay, i do not pressure him, he goes on his own. Also thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help
95AB2761-4109-4025-86E3-252C282FB9A1.jpeg

This is him right now, it’s coming off but really really slow, it looks bad and I feel even worse because I have no idea what I did wrong. Is there a chance it would fall off with the next shed? I kinda miss his green color. I will run the basking in the morning longer like you said, but he also loves morning sunbathing on my window - i hope it’s okay, i do not pressure him, he goes on his own. Also thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help View attachment 335222
As long as he is getting enough time in the cage with the UVB lighting and your monitoring temps when you let him sun bath by the window this is fine. Just remember sun through a window is going to get hot and they can not get UVB from that.

He is peeling more of a flaky rather than a layer. It is possible he got in the path of water right before the shed fully started. This can make the shed not come off as cleanly as we would like to see.

And your only using the T5HO fixture with the 6% bulb for uvb correct? You did not get a 2 in 1 heat and uvb bulb as well right? This would be a screw in bulb. they are normally labeled as mercury vapor bulbs.

No worries about the sunbathing, it’s spring time, I’m from Slovakia, it’s still cold outside but the sun is really nice in my room and he enjoys the early sun - I can’t tell how he feels but he looks like he likes it lol!) it’s not too hot and i’m alway keeping my eyes on him when he is outside his cage, it’s just for a hour max.

Can something happen to him when he don’t shed right away? I just need to know if it would fall off over time on it’s own or if I should somehow help him?

Arcadia PRO T5 UVB Kit 6% UVB - this is my uvb, I did my research long before getting my chameleon so I could give him the proper care but I’m still learning and adjusting his home. I can stress over my animals when something is wrong with them so I really appreciate your help!!
A8D5C55D-515B-4084-A499-3F05BB0F95F5.jpeg

No worries about the sunbathing, it’s spring time, I’m from Slovakia, it’s still cold outside but the sun is really nice in my room and he enjoys the early sun - I can’t tell how he feels but he looks like he likes it lol!) it’s not too hot and i’m alway keeping my eyes on him when he is outside his cage, it’s just for a hour max.

Can something happen to him when he don’t shed right away? I just need to know if it would fall off over time on it’s own or if I should somehow help him?

Arcadia PRO T5 UVB Kit 6% UVB - this is my uvb, I did my research long before getting my chameleon so I could give him the proper care but I’m still learning and adjusting his home. I can stress over my animals when something is wrong with them so I really appreciate your help!! View attachment 335233
UVB is correct... What is the screw in bulb your using for the heat?

Perfect just make sure that is dead center below the heat bulb. Your looking for about 26 because where the cham rises up higher will be hotter.
Ok, I will check it again and make sure the temperature is really alright ! So what About the shed? Should I just wait and let him do his thing? I’m sorry to bother you with this, I’m just pretty stressed over him 🥲

Ok, I will check it again and make sure the temperature is really alright ! So what About the shed? Should I just wait and let him do his thing? I’m sorry to bother you with this, I’m just pretty stressed over him 🥲
I think it is fine. Not something I would stress over now that we have gone over major factors that can impact. Put some ice cubes on the cage top over the plants so they can slowly melt. This will help baby stay hydrated. I figure within the next 48 hours baby should be through the shed.

I think it is fine. Not something I would stress over now that we have gone over major factors that can impact. Put some ice cubes on the cage top over the plants so they can slowly melt. This will help baby stay hydrated. I figure within the next 48 hours baby should be through the shed.
Thank you so much! 🥹🫡

If in a few days the shed is not going well lets do a total husbandry review. Just respond to me then.
An update.. the shed is still sticking to him and he still looks like a little snowball. But it’s falling off piece by piece but really slowly. I’m still not misting his enclosure, just a little so he can drink. He looks healthy, eats and drinks water. Still no idea what is wrong 🥲

Attachments

• 931873C2-FF12-4383-9A48-D0F3DA7DFD8C.jpeg
    931873C2-FF12-4383-9A48-D0F3DA7DFD8C.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 35
An update.. the shed is still sticking to him and he still looks like a little snowball. But it’s falling off piece by piece but really slowly. I’m still not misting his enclosure, just a little so he can drink. He looks healthy, eats and drinks water. Still no idea what is wrong 🥲
Ok copy and paste the form below into your reply then fill it out with detail. Take pics of the entire cage so I can see what is around the cage as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, born in december, he is with me since 28.1
  • Handling - just to move him in or out of his cage in the morning for an hour, he steps on my hand willingly, i do not make him - he just looks at me for minute or two and then he climbs on my hand.
  • Feeding - He eats crickets and sometimes i give him roaches. Around 3-6 crickets with calcium every morning. Gut load mostly with bee pollen, lettuce and other greens.
  • Supplements - Calcium every day with his food. D3 and vitamins every two weeks.
  • Watering - I mist his enclosure every morning before lights go on and every evening before he goes to sleep. But since he has problems with shedding I just mist his plant he drinks from. I do see him drinking!
  • Fecal Description -Everything looks totally normal. He has not been tested.
  • History - I have nothing really to type here, we are kinda still trying to get used to each other and I´m just learning what he likes and dislikes.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Its combo cage with full back and front. So sides and top is screen. 100x50x50 centimeters.
  • Lighting - Arcadia 6% UVB 8 am-8 pm, 25W basking spot bulb - it used to be a hour in the morning and evening but now its few hours in the morning 9-12 and around 15:00 for a bit (I´m still trying to improve the basking time)
  • Temperature - Basking spot is around 28C but normal temperature is around 21-24, depends on my room. Lowest overnight temp sadly does not go bellow 20C so I do not use humidifier at night. I have a temp gauge.
  • Humidity - Humidity around 40%. It´s the humidity I have in my room. At night it should go higher but I´m scared to do that at the moment because of his shed.
  • Plants - All my plants are live. I have a Monstera, Calathea, Ficus Benjamina and one more but I can´t remember it´s name at the moment:(.
  • Placement - Cage is next to my wardrobe, no fans, air vents and traffic. The height is eye to eye. (?)
  • Location - Europe - Slovakia
Here are the photos, i even took a photo of his cricket just in case (sorry, he is missing his leg, he did not want to cooperate with me. lol). Once again sorry for my English, i hope you can understand everything i wrote, google translate had to help me with few words.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 34
Personally, I would at a fogger for the night and aim it at her sleeping spot. Run it at from 11:00pm till 06:00am, every hour for 15 minutes. Your nighttime humidity is pretty low, for the daytime it’s perfect. Your nighttime temps are a bit on high side for fogging, however your enclosure is all mesh and I think you should be fine. This could be the reason why the shedding goes that difficult. They’re dry shedders, meaning no direct water on them, yet fogger doesn’t make them wet. And the fog will cool them a bit, which is better for their deeper sleep.

Personally, I would at a fogger for the night and aim it at her sleeping spot. Run it at from 11:00pm till 06:00am, every hour for 15 minutes. Your nighttime humidity is pretty low, for the daytime it’s perfect. Your nighttime temps are a bit on high side for fogging, however your enclosure is all mesh and I think you should be fine. This could be the reason why the shedding goes that difficult. They’re dry shedders, meaning no direct water on them, yet fogger doesn’t make them wet. And the fog will cool them a bit, which is better for their deeper sleep.
Okay! I was kinda scared to increase his humidity at night because of his shed but now I will totally try to use the fogger and see if it helps a little. Thank you !

Like @Beman said they’re nothing directly off with your husbandry, except the low nighttime humidity. My girl sits 24/7 free range and has no dripper. With the fogger pointed at her sleeping spot, she’s always hydrated and has no troubles with shedding. Therefore, this could contribute in a better shed. Important, I’m just guessing, relating to my own situation and seeing your parameters. Don’t know if it helps, but it will also do no harm.

Back
Top Bottom