Not pets...but still...

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
Tonight I had two possums and four skunks and two raccoons in my back yard. The rabbits haven't come yet.
During the day I get red squirrels, grey and black squirrels, sometimes chipmunks and red winged black birds, starlings, mourning doves, sparrows, robins, blue jays, cardinals, dark eyes juncos and a couple of years ago a duck laid and hatched her eggs in my yard (and there's no water in my yard and only pools nearby. I was going to give her a wading pool but she left the day I had it ready).

Im so dying to see a mother possum with babies on her back!

We get more armadillos down here (their eyesight is as bad as a possum's!). However, other non-pets I've seen down here in Naples include coyotes, a Burmese python, and a Florida panther, in addition to the gators, and other snakes!

Glad I have no gators or crocs here...but a guy did have an alligator farm in the area once and I did find a young one in the ditch near my house as a kid...took it home and put it in the bathtub until the Humane Society could come and get it...so it wouldn't freeze....and this is Ontario, Canada! We have deer, coyotes, and red foxes and even beaver in the ravine up the road a few blocks from me but they never/rarely come down here. We do get garter snakes sometimes though. I would love to see an armadillo..but not here of course! We only started getting possums in this area in the last 15 or so years...they get frost bitten in the winters here and die. When I went up north I would see moose, porcupines, wolves, rattle snakes, black bear, etc.

We see wolves, coyote, fox, skunks, lynx, bobcat, deer, moose, and an occasional bear here. I'm not gonna get started on the birds and rodents. I live near Duluth, MN and you do not have to drive far to be out in the bush. We'e only like 100 miles south of Ontario. I gotta say I love it up here.

Armadillos are some of my favorites, even though they can carry leprosy. Mostly you see them as roadkill which is sad, but every once in awhile you'll see a live one. They are like fat little women prancing about on high heels - that's just the way they walk. And their nails are sharp, so if you are driving along with your windows open, you can hear them clacking down the street. I did have one in my front bushes when I came home from work one night, and it scared me to death - I knew SOMETHING was there, but there were no lights on for me to see. I got my keys ready and sprinted into the house!

I don't think I'd live anywhere else in spite of the often awful winters! There's literally that makes me happy about being here!

Wow...armadillos carry leprosy??? How would you catch it from them?

My yard is "home" to armadillo, fox, bobcat, deer, turkey, opossum, raccoon, coyote, gray and fox squirrel, gopher tortoise, black racer, pygmy rattlesnake, rabbit, southern flying squirrel, panther (very rare, but have seen tracks), and not far from here black bear, wild boar, and a little farther manatees and all kinds of fun critters :D. Just love Central FL!!!

@Decadancin said..."My yard is "home" to armadillo, fox, bobcat, deer, turkey, opossum, raccoon, coyote, gray and fox squirrel, gopher tortoise, black racer, pygmy rattlesnake, rabbit, southern flying squirrel, panther (very rare, but have seen tracks), and not far from here black bear, wild boar, and a little farther manatees and all kinds of fun critters :D. Just love Central FL"....now I'm jealous...manatees!!!! Manatees are so awesome!
My daughter sent me photos of flying squirrels in her yard up north today...they're so cute!

My yard is "home" to armadillo, fox, bobcat, deer, turkey, opossum, raccoon, coyote, gray and fox squirrel, gopher tortoise, black racer, pygmy rattlesnake, rabbit, southern flying squirrel, panther (very rare, but have seen tracks), and not far from here black bear, wild boar, and a little farther manatees and all kinds of fun critters :D. Just love Central FL!!!
Too darn humid! I did like my visit down there though.

I'm guessing if you ate the armadillo - not that I'm planning on that. They have terrible eyesight, so they could bite or scratch you if startled I guess I've heard about the leprosy, but it was years ago and I have no idea where I heard it from.

I'm guessing if you ate the armadillo - not that I'm planning on that. They have terrible eyesight, so they could bite or scratch you if startled I guess I've heard about the leprosy, but it was years ago and I have no idea where I heard it from.
I think by touching them too, if they are infected and you stick your hand in your mouth, or something, I don't know, just don't go petting them.

Back
Top Bottom