Not In Shed , Chalky and Pale for Days Looking for Assistance

You don't need to post a separate thread. You've already answered the questions but you haven't had a response for some reason.

Chameleon info:
Sage. Veiled Chameleon , I belive male. About 5 months old I have had him for about 2.
Handling maybe 5-15 minutes a day to take him out so he can free roam
Feeding 10-12 small crickets a day. Gutloading dandelion greens, butter nut squash, apples, carrots. And repashy. you can feed him as much as he will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding. in another month or so feed him every second day instead. All insects should be well fed and gutloaded properly. You can find the information for that on here.
Suppliments zoomed calcium without d 3 every mwf. Exoterra vitamins only thursdays. it's recommended that you dust at al but 4 feedings a month with a phos free calcium powder lightly. On two of the remaining feedings, two weeks apart dust lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and on the other two days, two weeks apart, dust with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. If your chameleon needs it, you can use a preformed source of vitamin a sparingly once in a while. Preformed sources of vitamin A and D3 from supplements are fat soluble and can build up in the system which is why we don't over do them.
Watering through a dipper and misting plants for a minute in the morning. Average hum is 50-70 . I see him drink often.
Fecal description. Solid poop help uraites mainly white with a little bright yellow. Has not been tested for parasites
History. I purchased him from my work , just recently found out our reptile system had a plain flours entry tube not a uvb yikes. He was at my store for a month before I bought him.
Cage info:
Type. Reptile breeze medium ( just order the xl to uograde) so screen 16x16x36
Lighting zilla 75 blue day, uvb is a 5.0 tube zoomed reptisun 18 inch. Lihis on at 7 am til 830pm I recommend using a regular incandescent household bulb for a basking light. Use a wattage that produces the right basking temperature in the basking spot. Test to see that it's not going to burn your chameleon by holding your hand as close to it as you can get inside the cage...if you have to move your hand it's too hot/close. Colored lights are not recommended for chameleons. No lights at night.
Temp: basking 85 ambiance 70. I have a dual gauage.
Plants: upgraded to live yesterday. Ficus, pythos, and dracena.
Placement. One side sheltered by bookcase but not against it others facing window and my bed. No air traffic. On a a zoomed stand him off floor. I don't recommend placing the cage by the window if you live in a cooler area or if the sun will shine directly in the cage through the window.
Location. Massachusetts

Current Problem. Sage has been really chalky toned while in his cage. I fear it's that I can't provide a proper heat gradient so I have an xl reptile breeze cage coming next week. But I am really worried that I am over supplementing or doing something majorly wrong. Last shed was March 28 he has not shed since. This does not look like his preshed last time and he has looked like this for 2 weeks now. Isn't basking as much either , not hanging out on the bottom but isn't going all the way up to bask like he use too. Sometimes he even looks all white. Are you sure your thermometer is working? I would think he's too hot.

He did have a ton of that salt build up on his nostrils for a long time til I really started motoring supplement use. what do you think specifically caused the salt build up?

Please let me know your thoughts. I really appreciate it! First 2 pics are the chalky look last 2 ares last month normal (I have changed my husbandry since then ! Hence bad red bulb in old pic but not new)
Hope this helps!
If you want more input you can tag people like this.. @Beman do you have any comments?

Last edited:
You don't need to post a separate thread. You've already answered the questions but you haven't had a response for some reason.

Chameleon info:
Sage. Veiled Chameleon , I belive male. About 5 months old I have had him for about 2.
Handling maybe 5-15 minutes a day to take him out so he can free roam
Feeding 10-12 small crickets a day. Gutloading dandelion greens, butter nut squash, apples, carrots. And repashy. you can feed him as much as he will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding. in another month or so feed him every second day instead. All insects should be well fed and gutloaded properly. You can find the information for that on here.
Suppliments zoomed calcium without d 3 every mwf. Exoterra vitamins only thursdays. it's recommended that you dust at al but 4 feedings a month with a phos free calcium powder lightly. On two of the remaining feedings, two weeks apart dust lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and on the other two days, two weeks apart, dust with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. If your chameleon needs it, you can use a preformed source of vitamin a sparingly once in a while. Preformed sources of vitamin A and D3 from supplements are fat soluble and can build up in the system which is why we don't over do them.
Watering through a dipper and misting plants for a minute in the morning. Average hum is 50-70 . I see him drink often.
Fecal description. Solid poop help uraites mainly white with a little bright yellow. Has not been tested for parasites
History. I purchased him from my work , just recently found out our reptile system had a plain flours entry tube not a uvb yikes. He was at my store for a month before I bought him.
Cage info:
Type. Reptile breeze medium ( just order the xl to uograde) so screen 16x16x36
Lighting zilla 75 blue day, uvb is a 5.0 tube zoomed reptisun 18 inch. Lihis on at 7 am til 830pm I recommend using a regular incandescent household bulb for a basking light. Use a wattage that produces the right basking temperature in the basking spot. Test to see that it's not going to burn your chameleon by holding your hand as close to it as you can get inside the cage...if you have to move your hand it's too hot/close. Colored lights are not recommended for chameleons. No lights at night.
Temp: basking 85 ambiance 70. I have a dual gauage.
Plants: upgraded to live yesterday. Ficus, pythos, and dracena.
Placement. One side sheltered by bookcase but not against it others facing window and my bed. No air traffic. On a a zoomed stand him off floor. I don't recommend placing the cage by the window if you live in a cooler area or if the sun will shine directly in the cage through the window.
Location. Massachusetts

Current Problem. Sage has been really chalky toned while in his cage. I fear it's that I can't provide a proper heat gradient so I have an xl reptile breeze cage coming next week. But I am really worried that I am over supplementing or doing something majorly wrong. Last shed was March 28 he has not shed since. This does not look like his preshed last time and he has looked like this for 2 weeks now. Isn't basking as much either , not hanging out on the bottom but isn't going all the way up to bask like he use too. Sometimes he even looks all white. Are you sure your thermometer is working? I would think he's too hot.

He did have a ton of that salt build up on his nostrils for a long time til I really started motoring supplement use. what do you think specifically caused the salt build up?

Please let me know your thoughts. I really appreciate it! First 2 pics are the chalky look last 2 ares last month normal (I have changed my husbandry since then ! Hence bad red bulb in old pic but not new)
Hope this helps!
If you want more input you can tag people like this.. @Beman do you have any comments?
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this!!!! I feel like my meter is junk it's the zoomed dual column. I'm going to get the digital one asap. Do you think I should move him into the xl reptile breeze now or wait?

@Antoinetteandco I agree with everything @kinyonga said in your help form. I think one of the things that stands out the most to me is that there are no basking branches up high. You have everything in the bottom third of the cage. He is getting to the point where he weighs more now and that little ficus will not support him well while basking. Also there is the fact that where he can bask at the bottom it is not going to get the UVB he needs. You need horizontal branches about 9 inches down from the screen top. This distance and using a t5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb will give him the approximate correct UVB at basking.

As far as the stones in the bottom of the plants. you need them 1 inch or larger in size. They do not have to be huge but they can't be tiny to where he can ingest them.

Analog devices for humidity and temperature can be very inaccurate. I recommend getting a digital one that you can wire in at basking level. I can tell you that there is no way he is getting a 85 temp down on the bottom with the bulbs being used.

Like you were told you need to make some adjustments in supplements. So Calcium without D3 at every feeding and then calcium with D3 two times a month, multivitamin 2 times a month. You will pick a day of the week and rotate these two week over week. On this day you skip the Calcium without D3 and just use the supplement in your rotation between the multi vitamin and the Calcium with D3.

I would look through this website. He has a fee class on how to set up the correct enclosure this morning at 10am Pacific time. You might still be able to sign up for it. It is on the homepage of this link. https://chameleonacademy.com/

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

@Antoinetteandco I agree with everything @kinyonga said in your help form. I think one of the things that stands out the most to me is that there are no basking branches up high. You have everything in the bottom third of the cage. He is getting to the point where he weighs more now and that little ficus will not support him well while basking. Also there is the fact that where he can bask at the bottom it is not going to get the UVB he needs. You need horizontal branches about 9 inches down from the screen top. This distance and using a t5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb will give him the approximate correct UVB at basking.

As far as the stones in the bottom of the plants. you need them 1 inch or larger in size. They do not have to be huge but they can't be tiny to where he can ingest them.

Analog devices for humidity and temperature can be very inaccurate. I recommend getting a digital one that you can wire in at basking level. I can tell you that there is no way he is getting a 85 temp down on the bottom with the bulbs being used.

Like you were told you need to make some adjustments in supplements. So Calcium without D3 at every feeding and then calcium with D3 two times a month, multivitamin 2 times a month. You will pick a day of the week and rotate these two week over week. On this day you skip the Calcium without D3 and just use the supplement in your rotation between the multi vitamin and the Calcium with D3.

I would look through this website. He has a fee class on how to set up the correct enclosure this morning at 10am Pacific time. You might still be able to sign up for it. It is on the homepage of this link. https://chameleonacademy.com/

View attachment 265924View attachment 265925
Thank you Beman!!!! I didn't even think of his weight and the ficus when I removed his old basking branch!!! I think I ll buy a desk calander too to keep track of the supplementation!

Also, foggers are not to make mist drops on the leaves. And they are not to look cool.
A high spike in humidity at night is good for your chameleons health.
Just simply saying lots of Instagram users use it to look cool lol not it's real purpose. Thank you though! My humidity normal spikes at night because of where I live and I let the dripper drop over leaves and into a bowl and that water evaporates over night raising the humidity. ?

Whew okay that's what I'm thinking too. I bought a 60watt two days ago and it already blew. What would you recommend for a 5month old? I feel like where it's been warming here in new England that it's messing with him too. I'm such a nerd, I have a notebook full of the average temp, hum and food etc the average Temps been up a bit
Could be an issue with the fixture if you’re blowing bulbs in two days. Monitor temps closely.

I also agree with the fogger deal. Too much humidity could cause alot of issues. And as was stated they are not a good water source.

Back
Top Bottom