Not eating

Joel

My veiled doesn't seem to be eating, it doesn't seem to well and quivers when walking. Could some please help!

Any improvements? Chameleons are very fragile animals, many things can contribute to them not eating well. The result is not good though. If unchecked its the beginning of a downard health spiral for the little guy.

Try different foods. Try and look for anything that does not mimic his natural enviroment (temp, humidity, air vent). Try taking and leaving his cage outdoors for a few days if possible (maybe just during the day). If you catch health problems early enough, a vet might help. Careful not to over stress though, that can lead to bad things.

Not too much improvements now, its eating a bit but still not moving alot, i'll leave it outside for a while and see what happens. The environment is pretty ok, nothing wrong there...

Not eating problem as well

My guys isn't eating. I posted on the wierd shedding behavior, but his shed is pretty much off now. He is still active and healthy looking- he just isn't eating at all. I tried wax worms and crickets which he loves. I have seen him poop and it looks normal so I don't think there is a problem there. I have owned him for 2 weeks now and have not had any problem before with turning down food. He went swimming this morning in his drip bowl and is now basking (do chameleons normally swim??)
How long can chams go without eating?

How long has he not been eating? Is he still drinking? What is your temperature and humidity? Many things can contribute to this behavior and unfortunately it may take an expert herp vet to diagnose the problem. He might have aquired a health condition while at the pet store - before you bought him.

I have never heard of a chameleon swimming and find that very odd. I have heard of chameleons falling into water bowls and drowning. Is he crawling into this bowl or falling into it?

For the swimming part I didn't see him get into it. I just found him floating around in it. When I took him out he tried to go back in. I put a screen on the top though because I do no want him to get stuck. He is still drinking and looks hydrated. I have seen him drinking- I have a little dripper set up in there and he is usually by it. Other than not eating he is acting normal. The temps range from 70-80 on the cool side and around 85 in the basking spot where he spends most of his time.
Humidty varys a lot here and will go from 40-80% usually, though the last week it has been near 100% but I also mist down his cage a couple times a day.
I bought him from a breeder who seemed very knowlegable, though he was on the skinny side when I bought him. Right now he is still not as skinny as he was when I first bought him.

I put a screen on the top though because I do no want him to get stuck.
Great idea.

He is still drinking and looks hydrated. I have seen him drinking
Excellent!

Is he still not eating? If not you should probably try and force feed and even visit a vet. There are many things that could cause this behavior. If you decide to visit a vet make sure you find one that is very experienced in the area. These guys are very fragile and a vet who is unfamiliar with chameleons could possibly do more harm than good. I have learned this the hard way. I should probably start a list of recomended vets with chameleon experience.

Yay! Herb started eating again! It was close to 2 weeks without eating anything, but now his appetite has come back! He is literally nothing but skin and bones right now, but he has been eating around 8-12 small crickets a day for three days now. He is also stronger and moving around more already. I really don't know what was up with that. Nothing has changed in his enclosure or area so I am not sure what brought his appetite back on. I am glad that it is though. Hopefully I will not have to go through this next time he sheds.
Thanks for the help, Danielle

Yay! Herb started eating again! It was close to 2 weeks without eating anything, but now his appetite has come back!
That is fantastic!!! Two weeks is a long time to go without food. Did he continue to drink throughout that time? I would recomend a visit to the vet if in the future he does not eat for a week. Great news :D

I really don't know what was up with that. Nothing has changed in his enclosure or area...
This has never happened to me, but from what I have read there are many possibilities. One that comes to mind is that he could have hurt his tongue in some way and it needed to heal. I would watch him closely for a while, he could still have some problems show up from not eating for two weeks.

Thanks for the update. Good to see Herb is eating again.

With anyone still having issues with feeding.
Ok, let me start by saying, not all chameleons eat right away when you put food in cage. Some wait hours to eat, some greet you and walk to you as your feeding em. So, Just cause you dont see them eat doesnt mean they are not eating. Now, You also must realize that all some chams wont eat unless there in good mood. You can disrupt this when you have lack or to much of there daily needs. Sometimes you see them not eating if the cage is too hot, or too cold. Or if your lighting is off, or if you handle them too much.
For anyone getting a chameleon for 1st time it's important to have the setup already as you walk in door, If you buy all the cage and supplies and setup when you have chameleon sitting in box, it stresses them and could take 2 weeks or longer for them to get confortable. This is why you see " care taker levels so high " I am sure you some wonder why it says " expert " and say " its not that hard "
But it is, You have to have everything almost perfect before they are in good moods.
I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom