not eating.......

I would be concerned if I had a baby veiled that slept that much....its not normal. Julirs is right about the basking temperature being too warm for a young chameleon IMHO. It might just be due to the temperature that he is sleeping that much...but it might be that there is something wrong too.

You said that the UVB light sits on top of the cage...is it passign through glass or plastic?

What size crickets are you feeding the chameleon? What are you dusting them with (brands and how often)? What are you feeding the insects (please be specific)? Are you gutloading the insects? With what?

Take them out of the cup. Let em' roam free. I had the same problem when I bought my veiled. He wouldn't eat for 2 days because the crickets were in a cup. I set them loose and he immediately picked off like 3-4 of them. T

ive been reading on the net that it should be between 90 to 100,plus,there are lots of different levels and branches to sit on,so if its too hot he would just move down a bit...im worried about this little dude,,,why isnt he eating too?

Make sure that he has a cooler area to retreat to. I'm assuming this is a Veiled since you said your research indicated 100 degree basking temperatures. Whatever he is, he needs a cool side of the cage that is 15 to 20 degrees colder.

If your problem isn't temperature (sounds like it may not be), it might be two other things.

1. Chameleons stop eating for a while when they move to a new enclosure. This could be it.

2. Since he's a baby, he may not be used to finding his food where you are placing it. For example, babies don't know how to use a feed cup and/or are too scared to stick their head into it. Babies need free range food, and lots of it. The only way to ensure that they get it is to cut down the size of the enclosure and their branches must run close to the ground. If you're doing that, then this points to the temperature issue. Its hard to have a 100 degree basking temperature in an enclosure that is sized appropriately for a baby.

Steve

My baby veiled also stopped eating when i placed her in a new cage. What seemed to do the trick was some sunlight and fruit flies. Even now that she is a bit big for fruit flies she still goes crazy when i let a few loose in her cage.

last night before i went to sleep i found him sleeping on a branch near the bottom of his cage,,(full screen cage on all sides),this morning in the same place,and i just got home from work and found him in the same spot,he didnt move,,some is terribly worng,i moved his basking light higher so the temp is now at 87 degrees in his basking spot,maybe the problem is that i just put a new hisbiscus in his cage a few days ago,maybe he got stressed casuse of that,i dunno,im dusting the crickets with "rep-cal" phosphorus free calicum with vit.d.,i just dusted them twice sinch i bought them,and yes im gutloading them with carrots apples pears,,,something is seriously worng,im gonna go to the store and see if i can buy some fruit flys,please get back to me people,lol

I'd try food other than crickets. Mine only eats them if hes way starving but loves worms. He also is up early in the morning but asleep at about 3pm everyday. Always thought that was just normal....

At a young age you should never cup feed,
let the crickets or whatever your feeding him run freely.

Babies are growing a lot, and as they grow they eat a lot, the cup method you need to train them, which could mean a couple days without eating and thats too long for a baby.

Its incredible what stuff you learn from this forum! (Thanks to Vince from Screameleons.com)

when i first bought him,he was eating crickets from a cup without a problem,,,,,well i just bought some new pinheads,so ill try them tomorrow cause i gotta gut load them first,,another thing,everytime he is awake,he always shuts his eyes,i have no clue whats worg with him

when i first bought him,he was eating crickets from a cup without a problem,,,,,well i just bought some new pinheads,so ill try them tomorrow cause i gotta gut load them first,,another thing,everytime he is awake,he always shuts his eyes,i have no clue whats worg with him

Its possible that what you're interpretting as sleeping isn't sleeping. He may have his eyes closed because he's drying out, or not getting enough moisture to his eyes. Be sure and spray him at least 3 (minimum) times a day. Try to get water (gently) misted into his eyes.

Make sure that the branches are very low, or even in contact with the ground so the crickets can crawl up into your bushes.

Can you post a picture of him?

Steve

<---Newbie butting in ...

",maybe the problem is that i just put a new hisbiscus in his cage a few days ago"

You said you just put a new plant in the enclosure...Could we see a picture of it?.. What is it's scientific name? ... Did you do any type of cleaning of the plant/tree before putting it in?

yes u are right,his eyes are alwaz closed,,i mist him twice a day before and after work,i cant get him misted during the day,,nobody home,,and when i do mist his cage,i alwaz gently mist him aswell,and get him in the eyes,,but he still alwaz does the same thing,,i have to download a pic,

it is a hisbiscus,im sure of it,i also asked the lady at the store if an pesticides were used,they said no,,and yes i cleaned the leaves with just water before i put it in his cage

i appreciate all the help i am getting,,kepp it coming i need it,cause everyday when i come home from work i think "ok.is this the day i find him on the ground dead,,"...i dont want to think like that anymore i need him to get better ,lol

ya something is definatly worng with his eyes,he keeps them shut all the time,,i know hes not dihydrated,cause ive seen him drink,,anybody know anything about this?

You need to get him to a vet....I don't think he will be with you for more than a couple of days from the way he sounds IMHO. Sorry to have to tell you this.

Back
Top Bottom