Not eating

LouieTiel32

My 7 month old chameleon has stopped eating 🙁 I’ve never really had a problem with him as far as food goes, I got him when we was around 4 or 5 months old, and fed him gutloaded super worms and small crickets. He would eat a lot, and twice a day. Now I’ve stopped doing twice a day, and am feeding him once a day, and a little less bugs. He’s been eating fine all up until about 4 days ago. It’s like he ate one cricket, and then just stopped. In the last 4 days he’s probably eaten 5 bugs. It’s really concerning, and I’ll put the bugs in his bowl and leave them for pretty much the rest of the day, and he can see them but just doesn’t want to eat them. His poop is normal, nothing has changed at all, so I have no clue why he’s acting like this. If a bigger description on care is needed, I can copy and paste mine onto here, but I have the whole required description on other forums so idk if I need to put that on here. Anyways, can anyone help? I don’t really know what to do

Unless your husbandry has changed drastically, no need to repeat the form.
For his age, he should be getting medium to large sized crickets and other similarly sized feeders. It’s unusual for a veiled to refuse food. Normally they will eat until you stop feeding them...bottomless pits for stomachs. I would have him checked for intestinal parasites. Crickets can carry and transmit some parasites and if you’ve gotten any feeders from a pet store (especially chain pet stores), the risks of them carrying something is higher. Also maybe try some different feeders…bsfl, roaches, silkworms, etc.

Nothing at all has changed as far as care goes. No changes in lights, temperatures, or decorations. I’m definitely going to get him checked for parasites. I get his crickets from chain pet stores. What would happen if he did have a parasite? Is that treatable in a chameleon?

Nothing at all has changed as far as care goes. No changes in lights, temperatures, or decorations. I’m definitely going to get him checked for parasites. I get his crickets from chain pet stores. What would happen if he did have a parasite? Is that treatable in a chameleon?
Yes, parasites are treatable. The treatment depends on what parasite is found. Usually (in most states by law) the vet will need to see your animal before being able to diagnose and treat.

Back
Top Bottom