Not eating

Lizardking303523

Hey everyone, my female veiled stopped eating around 2-3 days ago and she still hasnt ate after I tried feeding her right now. Any ideas of what’s going on ?

Maybe fill this out? :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi! How old is she? Can you send pics pls.
I want to say she’s at least 6-8 months maybe even older but I’ve had her for over a month and everything has been good, her urate is white with a little bit of yellow but yesterday when she pooped there was more yellow than white. I have her in a glass enclosure at the moment
A9DA319B-19A0-4B53-8B46-9D863B635F80.png

Agree with the above post^^^, I looked at one of your past posts and that’s the same pic from over a month ago. A lot can change for a female in a month especially if she is gravid. Please fill out the help form and post current pics. :)

ameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? - female veiled 6 months to a year and I’ve had it for a month maybe a little more
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - rarely, I took her out recently once
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - I feed her mainly crickets, every other day. I gut load them sometimes, I’ve forgotten in the past but I usually gut load them with fruits and veggies.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust them with a world thrive of wonder calcium supplement. I usually feed her around 10am
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? - I mist her a lot manually and I have a little dripper, sometimes I get worried she’s not drinking and I’ll drop the water to her mouth myself and she will drink
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - she usually has white urates and the poop is not to hard or soft
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - her urate was recently very yellow
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - I do have a glass enclosure at the moment with a screen top
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a 70 watt lighting bulb and a Uvb bulb from the morning to around 6 or 7 I turn it off
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer and I have a basking spot.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - I have lots of moss and I frequently mist
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I do not have live plants only fake ones
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s located near a window but it’s not open all the time
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Southern California

Agree with the above post^^^, I looked at one of your past posts and that’s the same pic from over a month ago. A lot can change for a female in a month especially if she is gravid. Please fill out the help form and post current pics. :)
Just posted the info, I’ll send pics right now

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? - female veiled 6 months to a year and I’ve had it for a month maybe a little more
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - rarely, I took her out recently once
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - I feed her mainly crickets, every other day. I gut load them sometimes, I’ve forgotten in the past but I usually gut load them with fruits and veggies.
I would recommend buying a commercial gut load mix such as bug burger or cricket crack (Buy them on amazon!)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust them with a world thrive of wonder calcium supplement. I usually feed her around 10am
You are going to want to get a calcium d3, plain calcium, and vitamin supplement. Plain calcium almost every feeding vitamins and d3 twice a month, alternating weeks.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? - I mist her a lot manually and I have a little dripper, sometimes I get worried she’s not drinking and I’ll drop the water to her mouth myself and she will drink
Do not force her to drink, it may aspirate into her lungs if you aren't careful. Dripper is good. Mist her for 2-4 minutes 2-3 times a day. Try to form a schedule.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - she usually has white urates and the poop is not to hard or soft
It is recommended to get a fecal done, normally runny poop means parasites, but they don't always show up in runny poop until they are loaded. Post picture of her fecal matter if possible.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - her urate was recently very yellow
Could be a sign of some dehydration.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - I do have a glass enclosure at the moment with a screen top
With glass cages air can get stagnant and too moist, causing RI
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a 70 watt lighting bulb and a Uvb bulb from the morning to around 6 or 7 I turn it off
What specific type of uvb? Coil bulb or tube fixture?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer and I have a basking spot.
Be specific with your temperatures if possible, how are you measuring your temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - I have lots of moss and I frequently mist
Again, be more specific. Dont put a lot of moss in her cage, it doesn't dry out very well and can cause foot problems. But again, I can't do much without more specifics.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I do not have live plants only fake ones
Veileds tend to eat vegetation. Fake plants, if ingested, are dangerous and can cause impactions and mouth issues. I recommend getting some live plants that are on the safe plant list.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s located near a window but it’s not open all the time
Do not put her cage near a window. If you cannot move her cage, just keep the window blinds closed. Again hun, you need to answer all the question specifically. We aren't rushing you, take your time! :)

Please refill the form with some more specific info, you skipped a lot of questions.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? - female veiled 6 months to a year and I’ve had it for a month maybe a little more
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - I feed her mainly crickets, every other day. I gut load them sometimes, I’ve forgotten in the past but I usually gut load them with fruits and veggies.This could be stepped up. If your schedule makes time tight, using repashy superload or bug burger as a wet gutload when you’re short on time is super helpful. Also, I know @MissSkittles has a link to the good gutload poster.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust them with a world thrive of wonder calcium supplement. I usually feed her around 10am. I’ve never heard of this supplement, but for simplicity and expediency, try repashy calcium plus LoD at every feeding and nothing else.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? - I mist her a lot manually and I have a little dripper, sometimes I get worried she’s not drinking and I’ll drop the water to her mouth myself and she will drink This is just my opinion for veileds, if they’re willing to forgo trying to kill you to accept hand watering, then they are probably not getting enough water. Try misting the entire enclosure just before lights on, and just after lights out. A cool mist humidifier at night will help a lot.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - I do have a glass enclosure at the moment with a screen topSize would be helpful here, but some humidity measurements throughout the entire day would also be helpful
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a 70 watt lighting bulb and a Uvb bulb from the morning to around 6 or 7 I turn it offAgain, thank you for filling out the form, but we need more info here. What kind of uvb bulb—e.g. linear, spiral—the wattage, brand, etc..
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer and I have a basking spot.More info needed
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - I have lots of moss and I frequently mist More info needed
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I do not have live plants only fake ones We can work on this later.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s located near a window but it’s not open all the time Temps are important here. Please more info

Please tell us exactly what kind of cage the glass cage you're using is (better yet, post a photo). What are its exact dimensions?

If it is a standard fish tank-style enclosure, then it needs to be replaced immediately. You can use glass with chameleons, but only in enclosure with very good ventilation and appropriate dimensions for your species

Did you work on answering more of the questions with more detail? Fill it out as soon as you can. :)

Hi. On top of everything else mentioned, do you have a lay bin for her? Not sure if you’re aware that females will lay eggs regardless of being mated or not. This was the first thing that popped into my head as possible reason for not eating. Here’s a link on setting up a lay bin. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
It should remain as a permanent part of the enclosure. When she needs it, it’s there and she’ll find it. Once she starts digging, it’s essential that she be given privacy (cover bottom portion of enclosure) or she’ll stop.
Here’s the gutloading sheet and the feeder sheet. I use a variety of feeders - discoid roaches, bsfl, silkworms, occasionally crickets and for treats hornworms and super worms. I gutload with Repashy bug burger that I’ve addded some bee pollen and spirulina to along with whatever fresh organic fruits, veggies and leafy things available. Please don’t forget to post new pics. Those truly can speak a thousand words. :)
68770F7D-0C48-4733-AFB1-69B09CCE2B79.jpeg 1F43EFEF-E704-462B-9878-6540DDE8EB01.jpeg

Please post some recent photos. There's a lot more info we need from you and there are a lot of changes you need to make, many of which have already been pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom