not eating

gholmes

So I got a cham at reptacon in july and he has been awesome till now. recently i started buying bigger crickets and he started to eat them, then i guess he decided they were scary or something and wouldnt eat them. so i got smaller crickets but he seems to eat some but not all. i am only putting like 5 in at a time so i can monitor what he eats. he never eats all 5 anyways. i am pretty sure he is about 8 months old.

Also when i tried to feed him something else besides crickets he shows absolutely no interest at all. how can i expand his diet?

he drinks TONS of water, more than my old cham.

Am assuming he is healthy and your cage setup is OK, so it sounds like he is bored with the crickets. Chameleons get tired of the same old food all the time.

You need to offer lots of variety in his diet (all well gutloaded and properly supplemented), not just for his mental health but also his physical health.

There are TONS of different feeders out there: hornworms, silkworms, butterworms, superworms, roaches, etc., etc., etc. Some members also feed wild caught insects, but you need to be very careful that they don't come from somewhere that my have pesticides and that the insect is safe for your cham to eat. If unsure, don't feed it.

As for getting him to eat the different foods, if he's never seen them before, he may be unsure. Give him time. If he's hungry, he'll come around.

thank you. i have tried feeding a moth i caught and he ate it. I also got smaller crickets and i believe he is eating them.

the flightless fruit flies but idk if he eats them.

Also when i got him i tried mealworms and waxworms but he seemed to not even care for them.

i caught a moth one night at my apt and he ate it so i may try to catch more.

Back
Top Bottom