Not eating regularly.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Ambanja panther chameleon, he is a Male, I've had him for around 3 months which makes him about 7 months old I believe.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • I handle him maybe twice a week sometimes three times. Not every day.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I feed him crickets, dubia, superworms, the occasional hornworm. He has also has had a few black soldier fly larvae and silkworms. I feed in the morning, usually before noon. I gutload with several different types, on a schedule provided to me by Matt vanilla gorilla.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Gutloading schedule will be posted below.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I have a mister set to go off multiple times a day, the mister is set to go off 4 times throughout the day with two times at 30-45 seconds and one for 1 minute. I also mist for an extended period of time atleast once a week for a good shower, I also mist with a hand mister to get my plants well.
  • I also have a humidifier set to go on at night from 11:30 to 3.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • His poops seem all about the same, usually brownish with a white urate attached and a pretty consistent size aswell.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Nothing in particular, he just recently started to slow down his eating. About two weeks ago. He really only has been liking to eat the superworms and has been leaving the crickets and dubia pretty much untouched.
  • I also recently within the last month turned down the misting schedule a bit because some plants were dieing from to much water.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • 2x2x4 dragonstrand screen cage. I have plastic sealing 3 side of the cage for humidity.
  • The cage is full of plants and is doing pretty well.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • I have a 24in t5 ho double bulb fixture with a Arcadia 6% and a 6500k plant bulb
  • I also have two spotlight lamps that are bulbrite 75w plant grow lights (both on dimmers for control)
  • My lights come on at 9:20am and go off 12 hours later.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • I measure with a zilla digital thermometer and a infrared temprature gun.
  • My temps average near the bottom 65°F and his basking spot usually around 80°F sometimes 85.
  • The lowest temps o would say never go below 58° as my room is pretty damn warm most of the time.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • My humidity stays regularly high and averages 70-90% with 2 hours between each mist allowing th cage to dry.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Many live plants, I have 2 pothos in the Top corners of the cage, 1 umbrella plant, 2 ferns near the bottom, 2 spider plants mid way up, 1 split leaf philodendron, and one large hibiscus in the bottom center of the cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • The cage is in my room, back corner of the room. There M is a vent near but is blocked off.
  • Top of cage is about 6 feet up. I have it on a table we made for it raising it about 2 feet off the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • I'm located near denver colorado.

Current Problem - laz, my Male panther cham has been eating significantly less recently, the past two weeks I would say.
He is very picky what i give him and will only eat superworms right away, mainly leaving the dubia and crickets alone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190207-212733_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-212733_Outlook.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190518_124626.jpg
    20190518_124626.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 118
  • 20190518_124632.jpg
    20190518_124632.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190517_122725.jpg
    20190517_122725.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190517_122729.jpg
    20190517_122729.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20190518_125420.jpg
    20190518_125420.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190518_125213.jpg
    20190518_125213.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190504_120018.jpg
    20190504_120018.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20190430_184421.jpg
    20190430_184421.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 124
Hey hun see my comments in Red.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Ambanja panther chameleon, he is a Male, I've had him for around 3 months which makes him about 7 months old I believe.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I feed him crickets, dubia, superworms, the occasional hornworm. He has also has had a few black soldier fly larvae and silkworms. I feed in the morning, usually before noon. I gutload with several different types, on a schedule provided to me by Matt vanilla gorilla.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Ok I see this in the image... If this is Matt's recommendations then stay with them.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I have a mister set to go off multiple times a day, the mister is set to go off 4 times throughout the day with two times at 30-45 seconds and one for 1 minute. I also mist for an extended period of time atleast once a week for a good shower, I also mist with a hand mister to get my plants well.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • His poops seem all about the same, usually brownish with a white urate attached and a pretty consistent size aswell.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Nothing in particular, he just recently started to slow down his eating. About two weeks ago. He really only has been liking to eat the superworms and has been leaving the crickets and dubia pretty much untouched.
  • I also recently within the last month turned down the misting schedule a bit because some plants were dieing from to much water.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • 2x2x4 dragonstrand screen cage. I have plastic sealing 3 side of the cage for humidity.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • I have a 24in t5 ho double bulb fixture with a Arcadia 6% and a 6500k plant bulb
  • I also have two spotlight lamps that are bulbrite 75w plant grow lights (both on dimmers for control)
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • My temps average near the bottom 65°F and his basking spot usually around 80°F sometimes 85.
  • The lowest temps o would say never go below 58° as my room is pretty damn warm most of the time.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • My humidity stays regularly high and averages 70-90% with 2 hours between each mist allowing th cage to dry. Daytime level is a little high... Typically you want a daytime level of 50%. Night time can be higher.
  • Many live plants, I have 2 pothos in the Top corners of the cage, 1 umbrella plant, 2 ferns near the bottom, 2 spider plants mid way up, 1 split leaf philodendron, and one large hibiscus in the bottom center of the cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • The cage is in my room, back corner of the room. There M is a vent near but is blocked off.
  • Top of cage is about 6 feet up. I have it on a table we made for it raising it about 2 feet off the ground.

Current Problem - laz, my Male panther cham has been eating significantly less recently, the past two weeks I would say.
He is very picky what i give him and will only eat superworms right away, mainly leaving the dubia and crickets alone.

Ok so everything looks really good. I think he is hitting his picky faze.... No other out of the normal behaviors going on right? You can try to combat this by only offering dubia for a week until he breaks down and eats them.... Then only feed those for another week. Then slowly add in other feeders. Sounds like his favorite is supers so he is holding out for those. Beman did this with BSFL. I offered only Dubia everyday by day 5 I think it was he broke and ate the dubia. Then I only offered them for the next week. Once he figured out these were good I started adding in other feeders. He now happily eats anything I put in his cup.
I am going to tag @Brodybreaux25 to review your help form to see if I am missing something.

Hey hun see my comments in Red.

Chameleon Info:

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Ok I see this in the image... If this is Matt's recommendations then stay with them.

Cage Info:

• My humidity stays regularly high and averages 70-90% with 2 hours between each mist allowing th cage to dry. Daytime level is a little high... Typically you want a daytime level of 50%. Night time can be higher.

Ok so everything looks really good. I think he is hitting his picky faze.... No other out of the normal behaviors going on right? You can try to combat this by only offering dubia for a week until he breaks down and eats them.... Then only feed those for another week. Then slowly add in other feeders. Sounds like his favorite is supers so he is holding out for those. Beman did this with BSFL. I offered only Dubia everyday by day 5 I think it was he broke and ate the dubia. Then I only offered them for the next week. Once he figured out these were good I started adding in other feeders. He now happily eats anything I put in his cup.
I am going to tag @Brodybreaux25 to review your help form to see if I am missing something.
@Mustanglover9901 is this one of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla babies ? If so go directly to Matt for advice. I’m not at all saying anyone on here can’t help just that Matt or Jessica will handle anything you need or questions you have . Best of luck .

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, @Mustanglover9901 and I are texting each other now. So nice of you all to draw my attention to this thread! I appreciate it very much! I do believe that the main issue here is the Superworm addiction problem! So, a warning to everyone. Always only feed superworms as a treat.

We will work at things to improve appetite (real sunshine, exercise and increased hydration) and we will find some other yummy food that can get the boys appetite back on track. I also think this boy is ready for every other day feedings.

Also, chameleons eat well gutloaded bugs more eagerly. When a chameleon shows a decrease in appetite it helps to gutload with tasty fruits and fresh greens.

Thank you everyone, @Mustanglover9901 and I are texting each other now. So nice of you all to draw my attention to this thread! I appreciate it very much! I do believe that the main issue here is the Superworm addiction problem! So a warning to everyone. Always only feed superworms as a treat. We will work at things to improve appetite (real sunshine, exercise and increased hydration) and we will find some other yummy food that can get the boys appetite back on track. I also think this boy is ready for every other day feedings.
Yup I have had to pull Mr. Pork chop off worms all together more then once do to his worm addiction . I believe you had me do a few month no worms he was Naughty for a bit :rolleyes: .

Thank you everyone, @Mustanglover9901 and I are texting each other now. So nice of you all to draw my attention to this thread! I appreciate it very much! I do believe that the main issue here is the Superworm addiction problem! So, a warning to everyone. Always only feed superworms as a treat.

We will work at things to improve appetite (real sunshine, exercise and increased hydration) and we will find some other yummy food that can get the boys appetite back on track. I also think this boy is ready for every other day feedings.

Also, chameleons eat well gutloaded bugs more eagerly. When a chameleon shows a decrease in appetite it helps to gutload with tasty fruits and fresh greens.
Ladies and gentlemen this is why we buy from quality breeders who love their chameleons even well well after they've sent them to our doors. Thank you for being awesome @Matt Vanilla Gorilla

How do you exercise your chameleons??? I feel like that's a dumb question but now i want to get Pesto swole

When you take a chameleon outside and let them walk around in shrubs or bushes that are chameleon save they can travel much longer distances than they do in their cage. They get all excited to explore.

A couple of things to remember: 1) never ever leave them unsupervised 2) never put them in a tree with branches higher than you can reach. 3) stay on the alert for predators such as snakes, cats and birds.

Back
Top Bottom