Not eating quite enough?

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male ambibole panther, about 4 months old now. Been in my care 4 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Maybe once a week to get some sun and weigh him. I didnt handle him at all the first 2 weeks I've had him, so really only twice lol
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I have crickets, dubias, bsfl, and hornworms. Crickets are his staple as it's all he got from his breeder and all he seems to recognize. He will readily take dubias from my feeder tongs but doesnt seem to see them in the cup however I always include a few just in case. I also always put a few bsfl in there though he has never taken them from cup or from tongs. Hornworms as a treat though he has only ever taken a handful.
I always make sure there are at least 20 feeders in the cup to keep them moving. I usually have his feeders in the enclosure before his lights come on at 7am, unless it's my day off then I usually feed him around 8 or 9 after he has had some time to warm up.
I have been changing my gut load weekly. Last week was parsley, carrots, sweet potato, mango, and mustard greens. This week is parsley, parsnip, papaya, and collard greens. What will next week bring?? Stay tuned. I also always include some bee pollen.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calcium w/o D3 every feeding. Every Saturday alternate between calcium w/ D3 and multivitamin. I'm at work and dont remember the exact brand but they can all be found on the recommended brands graphic.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a mistking that goes off every 2 hours for 3-4 minutes, first mist starting at 6:30am for 4 minutes, last mist at 8pm for 5 minutes. I have seen him drinking a few times but his fecal is good so I know he is drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Firm brown, pure white urates, have not gotten tested yet but am going to soon.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I got him from a breeder in Colorado Springs. He was housed with one or two of his brothers and was definitely one of the smaller of the bunch, but not the smallest. One of his brothers ended up having some health issues, but Pesto has not shown any signs of issues.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
18x18x36 screen, I used a window insulation kit on the 3 sides and the front door, leaving the top and bottom door open for air flow.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have a quad fixture with a 6% Arcadia uvb, a plant grow bulb, and one 6500k daylight bulb. I took one daylight bulb out because the basking spot was getting really hot. I have a 60w day bulb in a deep dome raised about 6in off the top. Lights come on at 7am and go off at 7pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking is about 82, night time around 65. I have 2 digital thermometer/hygrometers
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity is rough man! During the day it fluctuates between 25-50% and at night I use a fogger from 12am-5am and it gets more around 60-70%. If I notice the humidity is low I manually mist.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have a live pothos which is absolutely flourishing! I had a small schefflera at the bottom of the enclosure but it wasnt getting any light because of the greedy pothos so i took it out and put it in a window so itll grow and be ready for Pestos permanent enclosure.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
He is in a corner of my living room on a shelving unit which places the top of the enclosure about 6ft off the ground. No vents, but it is fairly high traffic, which is why I have the sides wrapped in a felt blanket to block his view from my other animals as well as any other movement. He has never shown stress over any animals or movement. He always has his calm colors on and has never even fired up for me even when I have my hands all up in his cage to clean it.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Denver, CO

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

He has just not been eating enough from what I've been told babies his age should be eating. He really only eats 5-8 feeders a day depending on if I hand feed him anything. I have seen him eat from his feeder cup, so he knows it's there and can reach in to it. I can tell he prefers to hunt for his food, so I always make sure to put a few loose in the enclosure which I have seen him eat but he also has a few in there that he seems to have made friends with??? I just want to make sure he is ok and I'm not doing something wrong to make him not want to eat. Could it just be because he wasnt the alpha when he lived with his brothers so is only used to eating a smaller amount?? I'm a worried mom, k. I have a few pictures of him, but I'm at work right now and cant take new ones but if you want I'll attach some when I'm home! Enclosure picture is also a little out of date. I added another small bendy branch up top and took out the schefflera at the bottom.

Attachments

• 20190511_112514.jpg
    20190511_112514.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20190422_074216.jpg
    20190422_074216.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 82
Hi Daesie11, there are 2 suggestions .
First one is...I would like u to purchase a food scale so u can monitor his weight n prepare to write in a log book (date/weight) so u can compare in a later date.
Second one is...I would like u to find his poop every day, if he is eating n pooping normal he should be growing.
Sometimes,the panther cham baby can start very slow growth..and then comes in a time with excelerate growing burst,it will all depends on each single individually.

Hi Daesie11, there are 2 suggestions .
First one is...I would like u to purchase a food scale so u can monitor his weight n prepare to write in a log book (date/weight) so u can compare in a later date.
Second one is...I would like u to find his poop every day, if he is eating n pooping normal he should be growing.
Sometimes,the panther cham baby can start very slow growth..and then comes in a time with excelerate growing burst,it will all depends on each single individually.
Thanks for the info! I did buy a food scale and have tried to weigh him, but I think I need to invest in a bit better of a scale because he is so small idk if it is registering correctly. I've weighed him twice and both times it shows me 1g. I do have a log book which I keep track of pretty much his entire life in from his weight to food to poops. I do check for poop every day, he makes it easy because he poops right in to his feeder cup quite often :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! I did buy a food scale and have tried to weigh him, but I think I need to invest in a bit better of a scale because he is so small idk if it is registering correctly. I've weighed him twice and both times it shows me 1g. I do have a log book which I keep track of pretty much his entire life in from his weight to food to poops. I do check for poop every day, he makes it easy because he poops right in to his feeder cup quite often :rolleyes:
This is the food scale i used to weight on all my baby chams, as long there are measure from 0.0 oz it should be good for u to monitor ur baby's weight.
The baby will drop poop anywhere they feel like...it make us do all the work n its never ends...seems like he is telling u...get me a fresh clean feeder cup "everyday" lol
20190513_103639-1.jpg

This is the food scale i used to weight on all my baby chams, as long there are measure from 0.0 oz it should be good for u to monitor ur baby's weight.
The baby will drop poop anywhere they feel like...it make us do all the work n its never ends...seems like he is telling u...get me a fresh clean feeder cup "everyday" lolView attachment 232082
I take out his cup every night before bed and scrub it clean for him! I think he is just a brat :LOL: would you happen to know the brand of that food scale? I just got a cheap one from target. You get what you pay for I guess lol

Two months ago I got a 4 month male Jackson's and for the first month, like you I didn't see him eat much and was concerned. One improvement I made was to swap out the ceramic heat element for a daylight bulb. The lamp has an adjustable dimmer switch so with a 75w bulb you have complete control from a single switch. Since then I've observed my cham's morning routine which is he will gravitate up to the daylight when the lights all come on and will warm up. Shortly after that, the hunt is on. After eating, he retreats back up to the daylight and will lean to one side on branch warm up each side. He seems to be thriving and growing now but it took a few tweaks on my part to get the viv dialed in.

Capture.PNG IMG_1457.JPG

I have a panther as well and this past week he's been a very very fussy eater. Offering Dubia, silk worm, bsfl, bsf ,crickets and the occasional superworm. you name it he doesn't seem to want it. Then I leave for work and come home to find a big ol poop and a half empty feeder cup. I think he just has stage fright in my case.
You may want to try bsf (let the larvae pupate into flys) or get some other flys I think the blue bottles are small and work well for younger chams. the flight gets them all excited and adds an element of hunting and enrichment. The flys are smaller and may be less intimidating to pesto since he is on the smaller side. Give him another week or so and I bet he puts on 5 grams for weigh ins.

When I got my guy I was afraid some of the feeders were too large and have been very lucky with bsfl and then getting the added bonus of the flys they morph into.

Best of luck

Ok hun so there is not much to point out here.. But see my comments in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Maybe once a week to get some sun and weigh him. I didnt handle him at all the first 2 weeks I've had him, so really only twice lol

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I have crickets, dubias, bsfl, and hornworms. Crickets are his staple as it's all he got from his breeder and all he seems to recognize. He will readily take dubias from my feeder tongs but doesnt seem to see them in the cup however I always include a few just in case. I also always put a few bsfl in there though he has never taken them from cup or from tongs. Hornworms as a treat though he has only ever taken a handful.
I always make sure there are at least 20 feeders in the cup to keep them moving. I usually have his feeders in the enclosure before his lights come on at 7am, unless it's my day off then I usually feed him around 8 or 9 after he has had some time to warm up.
I have been changing my gut load weekly. Last week was parsley, carrots, sweet potato, mango, and mustard greens. This week is parsley, parsnip, papaya, and collard greens. What will next week bring?? Stay tuned. I also always include some bee pollen.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calcium w/o D3 every feeding. Every Saturday alternate between calcium w/ D3 and multivitamin. I'm at work and dont remember the exact brand but they can all be found on the recommended brands graphic.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a mistking that goes off every 2 hours for 3-4 minutes, first mist starting at 6:30am for 4 minutes, last mist at 8pm for 5 minutes. I have seen him drinking a few times but his fecal is good so I know he is drinking. So I am wondering if you have a faulty humidity gauge. I had one of these the temp was right and I did not have a second gauge at the time so I thought it was giving correct readings. It was actually running about 30% lower then the actual humidity level. https://zoomed.com/digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge/
I bought one of these and attached it where it would not get sprayed. I had multiple devices at this point which is how I figured out the zoo med humidity was not at all accurate. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1R0K68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My only concern is that you are running the misting sessions very close together and for a longer duration each time. This may not allow for the cage to totally dry out in between. Walking on constantly wet surfaces is not good for their feet. I know you are doing this to try to up your humidity but I would be interested in what the level actually is.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Firm brown, pure white urates, have not gotten tested yet but am going to soon. Good important to rule out this as a potential issue for the future.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I got him from a breeder in Colorado Springs. He was housed with one or two of his brothers and was definitely one of the smaller of the bunch, but not the smallest. One of his brothers ended up having some health issues, but Pesto has not shown any signs of issues.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
18x18x36 screen, I used a window insulation kit on the 3 sides and the front door, leaving the top and bottom door open for air flow. Ok so if I have this correctly you have the bottom cleaning window just screen and the top screen while all other panels are covered? This should be fine because it will utilize the chimney effect pulling air through the cleaning panel up and out the top.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have a quad fixture with a 6% Arcadia uvb, a plant grow bulb, and one 6500k daylight bulb. I took one daylight bulb out because the basking spot was getting really hot. I have a 60w day bulb in a deep dome raised about 6in off the top. Lights come on at 7am and go off at 7pm.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking is about 82, night time around 65. I have 2 digital thermometer/hygrometers

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity is rough man! During the day it fluctuates between 25-50% and at night I use a fogger from 12am-5am and it gets more around 60-70%. If I notice the humidity is low I manually mist. I am really thinking your gauges are off.... With how often you are misting and the length of time along with the way you have clear filmed almost all panels I would really expect your levels to sit higher. I am not certain what a Panther needs for daytime levels. I know a Veiled needs a daytime level of 30-50% max. Would be interested in others feedback on this.

I have a live pothos which is absolutely flourishing! I had a small schefflera at the bottom of the enclosure but it wasnt getting any light because of the greedy pothos so i took it out and put it in a window so itll grow and be ready for Pestos permanent enclosure.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
He is in a corner of my living room on a shelving unit which places the top of the enclosure about 6ft off the ground. No vents, but it is fairly high traffic, which is why I have the sides wrapped in a felt blanket to block his view from my other animals as well as any other movement. He has never shown stress over any animals or movement. He always has his calm colors on and has never even fired up for me even when I have my hands all up in his cage to clean it.

Denver, CO

He has just not been eating enough from what I've been told babies his age should be eating. He really only eats 5-8 feeders a day depending on if I hand feed him anything. I have seen him eat from his feeder cup, so he knows it's there and can reach in to it. I can tell he prefers to hunt for his food, so I always make sure to put a few loose in the enclosure which I have seen him eat but he also has a few in there that he seems to have made friends with??? I just want to make sure he is ok and I'm not doing something wrong to make him not want to eat. Could it just be because he wasnt the alpha when he lived with his brothers so is only used to eating a smaller amount?? I'm a worried mom, k. I have a few pictures of him, but I'm at work right now and cant take new ones but if you want I'll attach some when I'm home! Enclosure picture is also a little out of date. I added another small bendy branch up top and took out the schefflera at the bottom.

Everything with your husbandry lines up to being proper with the exception of the few items that don't add up that I pointed out. Otherwise you are doing wonderfully for a new keeper. Your husbandry is spot on. :)

I would try spraying for less time as well. Maybe a minute or two every 2hrs. Did you ever get a humidifier? Honestly I don't know any cham keepers up here in the mile high club that don't. The air here is just too dry and thin not too. I'd increase his day time humidity by running a humidifier on low during the daytime. Should help you get to that 50% level they need during day.

Two months ago I got a 4 month male Jackson's and for the first month, like you I didn't see him eat much and was concerned. One improvement I made was to swap out the ceramic heat element for a daylight bulb. The lamp has an adjustable dimmer switch so with a 75w bulb you have complete control from a single switch. Since then I've observed my cham's morning routine which is he will gravitate up to the daylight when the lights all come on and will warm up. Shortly after that, the hunt is on. After eating, he retreats back up to the daylight and will lean to one side on branch warm up each side. He seems to be thriving and growing now but it took a few tweaks on my part to get the viv dialed in.

View attachment 232088View attachment 232089
I have a 60w day bulb in my dome right now, I have adimmable thermostat, maybe I'll add that and see how it goes. Thanks for the insight!

I have a panther as well and this past week he's been a very very fussy eater. Offering Dubia, silk worm, bsfl, bsf ,crickets and the occasional superworm. you name it he doesn't seem to want it. Then I leave for work and come home to find a big ol poop and a half empty feeder cup. I think he just has stage fright in my case.
You may want to try bsf (let the larvae pupate into flys) or get some other flys I think the blue bottles are small and work well for younger chams. the flight gets them all excited and adds an element of hunting and enrichment. The flys are smaller and may be less intimidating to pesto since he is on the smaller side. Give him another week or so and I bet he puts on 5 grams for weigh ins.

When I got my guy I was afraid some of the feeders were too large and have been very lucky with bsfl and then getting the added bonus of the flys they morph into.

Best of luck
I have a gum container of bsfl that have turned into their dark non moving selves, which I've been told means theyve pupated(?), at the bottom of the enclosure just waiting for them to emerge! I have noticed he LOVES flying stimuli from the few gnats that have popped up in his enclosure, so hopefully those bsfl turn in to bsf for him soon!

Ok hun so there is not much to point out here.. But see my comments in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

I have a mistking that goes off every 2 hours for 3-4 minutes, first mist starting at 6:30am for 4 minutes, last mist at 8pm for 5 minutes. I have seen him drinking a few times but his fecal is good so I know he is drinking. So I am wondering if you have a faulty humidity gauge. I had one of these the temp was right and I did not have a second gauge at the time so I thought it was giving correct readings. It was actually running about 30% lower then the actual humidity level. https://zoomed.com/digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge/
I bought one of these and attached it where it would not get sprayed. I had multiple devices at this point which is how I figured out the zoo med humidity was not at all accurate. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1R0K68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My only concern is that you are running the misting sessions very close together and for a longer duration each time. This may not allow for the cage to totally dry out in between. Walking on constantly wet surfaces is not good for their feet. I know you are doing this to try to up your humidity but I would be interested in what the level actually is.

Firm brown, pure white urates, have not gotten tested yet but am going to soon. Good important to rule out this as a potential issue for the future.

Cage Info:

18x18x36 screen, I used a window insulation kit on the 3 sides and the front door, leaving the top and bottom door open for air flow. Ok so if I have this correctly you have the bottom cleaning window just screen and the top screen while all other panels are covered? This should be fine because it will utilize the chimney effect pulling air through the cleaning panel up and out the top.

Humidity is rough man! During the day it fluctuates between 25-50% and at night I use a fogger from 12am-5am and it gets more around 60-70%. If I notice the humidity is low I manually mist. I am really thinking your gauges are off.... With how often you are misting and the length of time along with the way you have clear filmed almost all panels I would really expect your levels to sit higher. I am not certain what a Panther needs for daytime levels. I know a Veiled needs a daytime level of 30-50% max. Would be interested in others feedback on this.

Denver, CO

Everything with your husbandry lines up to being proper with the exception of the few items that don't add up that I pointed out. Otherwise you are doing wonderfully for a new keeper. Your husbandry is spot on. :)
I have 2 different humidity gauges, one is definitely faulty because it just always reads 10% lol but the other one seems to fluctuate pretty well. I'll get the one you recommended also just for good measure.
It seems to me like his branches do dry out between sessions, it's mostly the leaves of the pothos and the floor of the enclosure that stay a bit damp. I'll keep a closer eye on it though and adjust if I need to.
I'm going to call my exotic vet this week and see if I can drop off a sample for a fecal. It's been a busy last few weeks since we last spoke about getting that done so I am only just getting the chance!
Thanks for the help, I always appreciate it :)

I would try spraying for less time as well. Maybe a minute or two every 2hrs. Did you ever get a humidifier? Honestly I don't know any cham keepers up here in the mile high club that don't. The air here is just too dry and thin not too. I'd increase his day time humidity by running a humidifier on low during the daytime. Should help you get to that 50% level they need during day.
I have a humidifier I just havent used it as I've had the same suspicions that @Beman does about my gauges. I'm going to get (another) new one and see what we get from there. I'll decrease the length of spray when I get home today!
Thanks again Camo!

I have 2 different humidity gauges, one is definitely faulty because it just always reads 10% lol but the other one seems to fluctuate pretty well. I'll get the one you recommended also just for good measure.
It seems to me like his branches do dry out between sessions, it's mostly the leaves of the pothos and the floor of the enclosure that stay a bit damp. I'll keep a closer eye on it though and adjust if I need to.
I'm going to call my exotic vet this week and see if I can drop off a sample for a fecal. It's been a busy last few weeks since we last spoke about getting that done so I am only just getting the chance!
Thanks for the help, I always appreciate it :)
I do think @CamoChameleonsHuman is spot on though. I think you need a cool mist humidifier in the room that Pesto is in. To increase the overall room humidity and decrease the misting length.

Back
Top Bottom