Not Drinking from leaves

DaChameleonKing

Avid Member
  • Your Chameleon - Male Jacksons (pic on my profile)
  • Handling - everyday (he doesn't seem to mind it)
  • Feeding - he gets fed crickets every other day
  • Supplements - none yet ill get some tonight
  • Watering - hand misting, but getting a mistking for christmas
  • Fecal Description - White and brown haven't seen him poop recently
  • History - From LLL Reptile

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 16 x 16 x 30 (almost done finish building his new cage)
  • Lighting - Repti sun 5.0 and 75W bulb (I'm putting in 60W tomorrow)
  • Temperature - Basking 86 normal 74
  • Humidity - going to get a humidity gauge
  • Plants - dying ficus tree (bought plant today! but waiting till new cage move December 24)
  • Placement - next to my bed he sees me a lot
  • Location - Bethesda, MD (D.C)
Problem: Hi, King my jackson never drinks from his leaves, but when I put water in his suction cup (I use it as a water bowl) he runs over and drinks from that. I'm buying a mistking for christmas.

• Your Chameleon - Male Jacksons (pic on my profile)
  • Handling - everyday (he doesn't seem to mind it)
  • Feeding - he gets fed crickets every other day
  • Supplements - none yet ill get some tonight
  • Watering - hand misting, but getting a mistking for christmas
  • Fecal Description - White and brown haven't seen him poop recently
  • History - From LLL Reptile
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 16 x 16 x 30 (almost done finish building his new cage)
  • Lighting - Repti sun 5.0 and 75W bulb (I'm putting in 60W tomorrow)
  • Temperature - Basking 86 normal 74
  • Humidity - going to get a humidity gauge
  • Plants - dying ficus tree (bought plant today! but waiting till new cage move December 24)
  • Placement - next to my bed he sees me a lot
  • Location - Bethesda, MD (D.C)
Problem: Hi, King my jackson never drinks from his leaves, but when I put water in his suction cup (I use it as a water bowl) he runs over and drinks from that. I'm buying a mistking for christmas.

I have supplement its without D3 and I feed it every feeding

My Jax took a really long time to start drinking when being sprayed, sometimes 2 minutes plus. Your mistking will help a lot because you can set longer misting sessions. Have you tried running a dripper and listing it hit a leaf or splash onto a vine? I would guess that if he is drinking from a bowl, he is probably very thirsty or borderline dehydrated. Jax need a lot of water.

A persistent drip might be what he needs to stimulate the drinking response. Try that and see if it works until you can get your mistking in place!

My Jax took a really long time to start drinking when being sprayed, sometimes 2 minutes plus. Your mistking will help a lot because you can set longer misting sessions. Have you tried running a dripper and listing it hit a leaf or splash onto a vine? I would guess that if he is drinking from a bowl, he is probably very thirsty or borderline dehydrated. Jax need a lot of water.

A persistent drip might be what he needs to stimulate the drinking response. Try that and see if it works until you can get your mistking in place!
That!
Montane species need water. I use drip mostly with quads: 1 hour 2 times a day. I still spray them, but they get most of their water from the drip.

I have supplement its without D3 and I feed it every feeding

Good! you'll need plain calcium with no D3 for use several times a week (I always dusted crickets and superworms with plain calcium but not silkworms or other feeders). You'll also need a multivitamin with D3 for use once a month. Jax need less vitamins than Veileds or Panthers, but still need regular calcium.

More photos of King, please? He's a good looking Jax.

That!
Montane species need water. I use drip mostly with quads: 1 hour 2 times a day. I still spray them, but they get most of their water from the drip.

Yes! Also, I forgot to add that Jax can take a long time to start drinking, but then they tend to drink for several minutes or more, so even when they start drinking, keep going until they stop because they are slow and fickle ;) That's what makes drippers so nice is they can set their own drink schedule without being pestered by us spraying.

Good! you'll need plain calcium with no D3 for use several times a week (I always dusted crickets and superworms with plain calcium but not silkworms or other feeders). You'll also need a multivitamin with D3 for use once a month. Jax need less vitamins than Veileds or Panthers, but still need regular calcium.

More photos of King, please? He's a good looking Jax.

Okay I'll buy that. I have a lot of pictures of him on his new cage (its a work in progress still not done). He seemed a lot greener in his new enclosure, but its not done yet so he will have to wait. The pictures are on my dad's phone.

Back
Top Bottom