Not contributing to aggression

Mate, its a lizard, not a dog, there is no 'winning', no phsycological battle going on outside your imagination.
Your third statement is right on the money, 'fending you off' is exactly what it is. Your an intruder to his territory, plain and simple. You cant stop it, its millions of years of instincts at work.
Unless you wear a chameleon suit with female receptive colors, then get used to it! :D
Really there's nothing you can do, this one is simply strongly defensive, it may or not mellow. Chams are an 'observe only' species for the most part anyway. Appreciate this natural and fascinating behaviour.

Barring that, get another male and hope for a more placid speciman.
You do need to clean and feed so there is little you can do in that regard, you cant train a lizard. Dont be too concerned at 'contributing' to his agro,
your not making it worse, and they dont make ritalin for chams! :)
I agree with most of what you say.....but to an extent anything that can think can be trained.....I don't bother much with my Veileds, because I have no need to (but if I never interacted with them at all they would be less tolerant of me...). My monitor is responding very well to her training - it's slow going but she's a lot closer to tame than if I hadn't spent hours playing with her.
Lizards can be trained to be less aggressive, some things can contribute to aggression, that much should be obvious. Like I already said, it's often not going to work with a cham though.......

You have a Trogdor? We have a Trogdor too! He is a sweet little k multi - what is yours?

Our only bitey chameleon is our flapneck Penelope. I rarely handle her and when I have to I wear gloves. She has always been against touching. It was cute when she was a month old but not so much now. The gloves make it easier on both of us.

Back
Top Bottom