Not again!!!!

hyunho6

Hi people I have really big problem.
My male pnther chameleon is not eating for 1week so he is thin and Im so scared
he is drinking water tho.
My dad said its because its winter.
But Im still worried please help me.

Sorry to hear your cham is not well. Could you post a picture of him? It would let others be able to help you on his condition. I hope he gets better soon.

Sorry to hear your cham is not well. Could you post a picture of him? It would let others be able to help you on his condition. I hope he gets better soon.

Ok Ill post a picture tomaro or so.
Thank you for helping me peoples

I vote your dad is right.

Seasons are HUGE with any reptile. All of my reptiles no matter what species eat less this time of year. They eat less but because they are less active and not breeding, they gain more weight than they do the rest of the year. To say seasons don't have an affect on a chameleon is like saying the spring has no affect on the blossoming of flowers.

Make sure he has 2 or 3 bugs in his cage at least once a day so when he is hungry he can eat.

If he doesn't eat for 18-20 days, then you have a problem. In which case you might want to try some new bugs like silkworms or silk moths (the movement of silk moths excites them to eat). None of my chameleons can refuse superworms.

Also remember panther chameleons don't live all that long compared to a lot of reptiles (most common reptiles like crested geckos, leopard geckos, basilisks, iguanas, etc etc etc live at least 15 years), a lot of males only live 3 or 4 years, average is 5 years, and a few that are taken care of optimally can live 7-8 years or more.

I vote your dad is right.

Seasons are HUGE with any reptile. All of my reptiles no matter what species eat less this time of year. They eat less but because they are less active and not breeding, they gain more weight than they do the rest of the year. To say seasons don't have an affect on a chameleon is like saying the spring has no affect on the blossoming of flowers.

Make sure he has 2 or 3 bugs in his cage at least once a day so when he is hungry he can eat.

If he doesn't eat for 18-20 days, then you have a problem. In which case you might want to try some new bugs like silkworms or silk moths (the movement of silk moths excites them to eat). None of my chameleons can refuse superworms.

Also remember panther chameleons don't live all that long compared to a lot of reptiles (most common reptiles like crested geckos, leopard geckos, basilisks, iguanas, etc etc etc live at least 15 years), a lot of males only live 3 or 4 years, average is 5 years, and a few that are taken care of optimally can live 7-8 years or more.

Oh ok.
What! they only live up to 7 to 8 years?!?
I thoght it was 8-13 years

Good news :D
my chameleon finaly eat a wax worm and butter worm :D:D:D:D::D Im so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I breed panther chameleons I never had a problem with them eating during the winter, besides they are in a house and in their natural habitat there is no winter if they are cold their metabolism will slow Down and cause them to not eat as much but they should not loose weight and get skinny which is why I ask about UVB if they don't have the right vitamins from UVB metabolic bone disease can cause these symptoms

I breed panther chameleons I never had a problem with them eating during the winter, besides they are in a house and in their natural habitat there is no winter if they are cold their metabolism will slow Down and cause them to not eat as much but they should not loose weight and get skinny which is why I ask about UVB if they don't have the right vitamins from UVB metabolic bone disease can cause these symptoms

Typically houses are cooler though during winter so they can notice a relative change. Also run on sentences are hard to understand.

I would say that not eating for an entire week is pushing it though. I like my chameleons to not skip more than a day without food. I try to keep my temps at 75+ and basking 87 so they feed daily year around.

Thats what I sayed to my dad too :D

Veileds and Jackson's can live that long.

Panthers have one of the shorter lifespans for chameleons. I've read that in the wild in Madagascar, it is rare to find adults over 2 years of age.

This might be a topic best discussed in the Health forum.

You can try stimulating his diet with attractive feeders like teal Hornworms, or very active feeders like dubia roaches or flies. Hornworms and Silkworms are known for breaking hunger strikes.

Hope this helps :)

-Dave
SPF

Back
Top Bottom