Nosy Faly Fill in the Blanks

Kent67

Retired Moderator
I hatched my first panthers (nosy Be) in 1993. For 20 years I have kept, bred, and keenly studied locale variations in the species. When I first started, 10,000 panthers were being imported to the US each year compared to 500 or less now. In that time I have seen too many mislabeled or unlabeled panthers to begin counting. I've also learned from my own experience first generation captive hatched Ambanjas look like their wild counterparts in terms of color and pattern. Captive hatched Nosy Bes look like Nosy Bes in the wild. First gen Ambilobes look like wc (color and pattern). CH Sambavas look like Sambavas in the wild. CH Maroantsetras look like Maroantsetras. First generation captive hatched Nosy Faly don't look like wild Nosy Faly because__________.

Even though exporters have 20+ years history of mixing up female panthers' locales it is not happening any more because_________. Or, I assume one particular shipment was all correctly labeled because__________.

Before I see the word "hater" in this thread may I add that I am in the market for 4-6 more females and I don't care who they are from. I would love to see some of the questionable ones change and turn into acceptable looking Nosy Falys but my 20 years of working with the species has me very doubtful.

Well Ive been working with pardalis off and on myself since about 1995-1996. So I know all to well about the numbers and mislabeling of the '90s. But you have had 20+ yrs of ambanjas, nosey bes, & sambavas to compare pics of wc's and cb offspring. We have had less than 10 yrs of breeding exp with nosy falys. So your working with a lot smaller comparative group vs the banjas & be's.

Ive seen offspring that were obviously faly, those that showed some faly looking traits but were questionble as babies/sub adults. And those that were easy to spot as being crossed or clearly another mislabled panther. I think throwing a blanket statement though that every cb faly youve seen doesnt look like its wc counterpart is grossly exagerrated. And a few of us are trying to do our best to insure our bloodlines arent crossed or mislabeled.

I did not mean to imply none of the ch Faly are pure; I know some are, just not many. I only listed a few locales there but I have worked with 8 off the top of my head.

I'd also like to add that until recently the majority of babies I've produced were from the 3 locales closest to Nosy Faly. I think that should be more than enough experience to know how to expect them to color up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom