Nosy boraha or Masoala?

Robyn.lux

So my cham, whom I named Mr J (after The Joker) thinking he'd be red and white due to being sold as a Masoala to me. However, I think he's starting to look more Nosy Boraha. What do you guys think?
He definitely throws more greys like the Boraha, certainly is getting more blues as well.
I don't actually mind what locale he is, I just feel lucky to have him in the first place, but it is nice to know.
The first photo is my viewing of him, he looks Masoala to me but the progression of his colours since then look Nosy Boraha?
Interested to know what other people think. Tried to get a full range of his colours for you all.

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_194337.png
    IMG_20180918_194337.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20180821_200403_576.jpg
    IMG_20180821_200403_576.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20180827_150959_332.jpg
    IMG_20180827_150959_332.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20180831_141123_215.jpg
    IMG_20180831_141123_215.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20180910_121000_346.jpg
    IMG_20180910_121000_346.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20180914_100843_408.jpg
    IMG_20180914_100843_408.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20180918_192847.jpg
    IMG_20180918_192847.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 223
Honestly I sometimes find it difficult to differentiate between the two, myself ;) Based on the last couple of pictures showing small patches of really vibrant blue, I would suspect that your chameleon is the result of cross-breeding different locales. He's showing a fairly large amount of yellow, which I don't tend to see in borahas or masoalas.

Whatever he is, he's very beautiful!!

Honestly I sometimes find it difficult to differentiate between the two, myself ;) Based on the last couple of pictures showing small patches of really vibrant blue, I would suspect that your chameleon is the result of cross-breeding different locales. He's showing a fairly large amount of yellow, which I don't tend to see in borahas or masoalas.

Whatever he is, he's very beautiful!!

He is a mystery indeed! I get worried sometimes because he gets really dark as well. His colour spectrum is incredible. He goes from being really dark greys and dark reds/blacks to lighting up with light greys, blues and yellows to pure white and bright reds. All in one day! I used to get stressed thinking he was stressed but it's just his colouring, I think.

That's something they really don't teach you when chameleon shopping!! It is something we all have to learn, that chameleons don't always look like what we see in pictures (when they are flaring up and at their brightest/most beautiful). It used to freak me out when my cham's showed duller colors, too, but it's usually just that their base colors are much more subdued than when they are in a perturbed state

That's something they really don't teach you when chameleon shopping!! It is something we all have to learn, that chameleons don't always look like what we see in pictures (when they are flaring up and at their brightest/most beautiful). It used to freak me out when my cham's showed duller colors, too, but it's usually just that their base colors are much more subdued than when they are in a perturbed state

It's been particularly difficult with him having a lot of grey anyway, he sometimes gets really dark, but then will lighten up again later in the day. I just go by the laws of, if he's eating, drinking, thermoregulating, pooping with white urate, climbing and looks strong. I'll not worry. Well, not worry as much xD

Where did you purchase him from? He could be Masoala, but a unique one! How old is he?

I got him from a store in my home town in the UK. Stores get a bad rep but these guys are excellent. He's 6 months old. He was bred in Germany. I haven't seen his lineage but I might ask the guys if they have access to information and photos on them. I'd love to see.

I got him from a store in my home town in the UK. Stores get a bad rep but these guys are excellent. He's 6 months old. He was bred in Germany. I haven't seen his lineage but I might ask the guys if they have access to information and photos on them. I'd love to see.
His colors will probably get more vibrant, and his background white/grey will probably turn more white. I love adult Masoala's, and Nosy Boraha's!

I do too!! I can but hope that the grey will lighten up. I'm constantly worried that he's stressed.
It's okay. If you truly think that he is stressed, try to see if there are any factors stressing him. Do you have a cat that likes to come and "visit" him? Do you have a bunch of feeders in there constantly? etc.

It's okay. If you truly think that he is stressed, try to see if there are any factors stressing him. Do you have a cat that likes to come and "visit" him? Do you have a bunch of feeders in there constantly? etc.

I have a cat but she's completely uninterested in him to be honest. I don't have feeders in constantly. Dubia are cup fed and taken out late afternoon along with any locusts.
I'm wondering if the placement of his viv could be a stress. It's not right in front of the window but it is facing it. I thought about moving it to face a different way.
He seems okay most of the time but he can go from looking fine to looking stressed and back to fine really quickly but the constant grey is a worry, unless it is just his resting colour.

I have a cat but she's completely uninterested in him to be honest. I don't have feeders in constantly. Dubia are cup fed and taken out late afternoon along with any locusts.
I'm wondering if the placement of his viv could be a stress. It's not right in front of the window but it is facing it. I thought about moving it to face a different way.
He seems okay most of the time but he can go from looking fine to looking stressed and back to fine really quickly but the constant grey is a worry, unless it is just his resting colour.
At his age, it might just be his resting color, but I am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom