Nosy Be Panther

ChamDreams

Hi, this is Qwerty...my baby Nosy Be Panther.

No one knows the sex of this little guy, although the reptile centre said they would guess a male because he had green spots behind the eyes? (I've not heard of that before). He/she is about 2 months old, about 4cm in length, and has been with me for 6 days.

Eating loads of crickets, drinking well, and hates being misted :p

Any ideas of what the sex is from looking this pic? I'm not in a huge rush to find out, i'll be happy either way :)
16683196_1403246656459745_1871670775_n.jpg

I think people would ask for a closeup of his/her bumper to help u out. Males have a little bulge right before the beginning of their tail but I think he s a little young to be certain

I think people would ask for a closeup of his/her bumper to help u out. Males have a little bulge right before the beginning of their tail but I think he s a little young to be certain

Yeah, i've tried having a little look when he's out and about on the branches, but hard to tell when there's no other young ones around to compare. Have you ever heard of the green spots behind the eyes thing? I've not heard of that before, so wondered if it's something i've missed, or just the reptile place not really giving the right info?

I've never heard of that and I've been doing quiet a bit of reading. I know females usually show lighter colors but depending on age, that's when the colors are more noticeable. There's a thread here with extensive pictures about people asking about the sex of their chameleons, do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it then compare to your little one

The colors on the cheek usually give you a sort of 'hint' as to what their mature colors will look like. I'd guess the he's a boy but try and post more, closer up photos.

I've never heard of that and I've been doing quiet a bit of reading. I know females usually show lighter colors but depending on age, that's when the colors are more noticeable. There's a thread here with extensive pictures about people asking about the sex of their chameleons, do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it then compare to your little one

Thank you :) I've had a look at the others, and he does seem to have a bulge at the base of his tail, but it's hard to tell at the moment as hes still nervous when i stay near the viv for longer than a few minutes.

The colors on the cheek usually give you a sort of 'hint' as to what their mature colors will look like. I'd guess the he's a boy but try and post more, closer up photos.

Thank you :)

I'm going to try and get some better "bum" pics and see if that helps. I've tried looking, and he does seem to have a bump at the base of the tail, but hard to tell.

So the cheek colour can have some significance then? That's new, i've only heard that from the reptile centre, so wasn't sure about that, how interesting! I'll have to check up on the green spot thing now :)

Thank you :)

I'm going to try and get some better "bum" pics and see if that helps. I've tried looking, and he does seem to have a bump at the base of the tail, but hard to tell.

So the cheek colour can have some significance then? That's new, i've only heard that from the reptile centre, so wasn't sure about that, how interesting! I'll have to check up on the green spot thing now :)

Yes if you post some pictures of in profile view and walking on something with his tail straight out I should be able to tell you. At this age the colors and especially the colors on the cheek have nothing to do with the sex. To be honest, the green colors on the cheeks in other locals usually develop more in females than males so I wouldn't ever look at the cheeks to determine the sex. 99.9% of the time when someone says they don't know the sex but assumes or guesses its a male is because they know the males are worth more and want to get more for the chameleon.

Yes if you post some pictures of in profile view and walking on something with his tail straight out I should be able to tell you. At this age the colors and especially the colors on the cheek have nothing to do with the sex. To be honest, the green colors on the cheeks in other locals usually develop more in females than males so I wouldn't ever look at the cheeks to determine the sex. 99.9% of the time when someone says they don't know the sex but assumes or guesses its a male is because they know the males are worth more and want to get more for the chameleon.

Thanks, i thought it was a bit odd. They weren't trying to sell me a male tho, it was an unsexed lot of babies, all same price. I just thought it was an odd way of sexing them as i'd not read anything about that before.

I've managed to get Qwerty out of his cage today, so i was quite surprised...i was fixing a branch in his/her viv and he grabbed my thumb when i slipped by accident, so i lifted my thumb away but he came with it lol. So i tried getting a shot of his tail, but he didn't like the camera much, so this is what i managed to get.....oh, and he started changing to the colour of my walls?? I thought they didn't change colour to suit the scenery?

he/she does seem to have a bulge there...but i'll leave it to you guys, as you more experienced than i am. This is my first chameleon :)

16731137_1405475286236882_1518325448_n.jpg

Cute little bugger. That picture looks like there's a little bulge there but I can't be sure. Try to get a close-up and hold the tail straight

IMG_0768.JPG
He is rather cute isn't he!

I'll try to get another shot next time he's out. He wasn't too happy about the camera and tried zooming off. Last thing I want to do is stress him out, he's only been here a week :)

I tried to get another pic of him but I swear he's hiding his bum on purpose!!

Qwerty is adorable! I can't tell from that pic. Need to see a side shot when he/she is holding it's tail out or up. That way we can see the vent.

Thanks, i thought it was a bit odd. They weren't trying to sell me a male tho, it was an unsexed lot of babies, all same price. I just thought it was an odd way of sexing them as i'd not read anything about that before.

I've managed to get Qwerty out of his cage today, so i was quite surprised...i was fixing a branch in his/her viv and he grabbed my thumb when i slipped by accident, so i lifted my thumb away but he came with it lol. So i tried getting a shot of his tail, but he didn't like the camera much, so this is what i managed to get.....oh, and he started changing to the colour of my walls?? I thought they didn't change colour to suit the scenery?

he/she does seem to have a bulge there...but i'll leave it to you guys, as you more experienced than i am. This is my first chameleon :)

View attachment 176279
Ok. I rescind my last. From this pic, I am pretty sure you have a male. I see a pretty clear hemipenal buldge.

View attachment 176279

Okay well that is good that they didn't try to up sell you on a male. From this picture I would say you have a male as there seems to be a bulge and his colors (red dots) are saying male to me.

Ok. I rescind my last. From this pic, I am pretty sure you have a male. I see a pretty clear hemipenal buldge.

Thank you :) Yeah everytime I watch him roam around his enclosure I can see a bulge there...just having a hard time getting a pic of him..he seems to know when the camera is on and hides?

Okay well that is good that they didn't try to up sell you on a male. From this picture I would say you have a male as there seems to be a bulge and his colors (red dots) are saying male to me.

Thanks a lot for relplying, you guys are so helpful!

I see the bulge there when he's just doing his thing in the enclosure, in just having a hard time getting a pic.

But if the bulge means male then yeah I'm happy to go with that as there is 100% a bulge there.

Red dots mean male too? Something else I've learned now! Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom