Nosy Be gender?

davthevieled

Avid Member
So I’m awful at gauging genders in babies... just picked up this little one and it looks like it is a male? Would appreciate any help!
C4E08797-1379-4469-BDDF-422169C26DF5.jpeg
7A7A0B40-FF5E-441D-92CD-E0FB59FDB7BC.jpeg

That's a hard one given the size and it could go either way. I'm going female though, based more on the nose shape and not seeing any bulge behind the vent. BUT, it's early days lol.

Yeah that’s my problem here as well. I’ve never used the Kent vent method. To me if you look right at the base it looks like there is that little bit of extra skin under the tail base where the hemepenes will form but then again idk. Ty for the response! I hate trying to sex babies lol.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Matt, looks female. Something that does concern me though is the color of the back feet. Could be just the lighting, or maybe she's walking around in some wet soil? If not, I hope you will check to see if there is some stuck shed around her legs just above the black coloring. If so, it needs to be removed immediately, I use cuticle scissors.

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Matt looks female. Something that does concern me though is the color of the back feet. Could be just the lighting, or maybe she's walking around in some wet soil? If not, I hope you will check to see if there is some stuck shed around her legs just above the black coloring.

I just picked her up today. Substrate wouldn't have been from me, right now she has just paper towel on the bottom and some fake plants. I noticed her set up at the place I got her was a bit dry (I'm sticking with she because I just got a glance at PJs, and brown/green seems more on the fem-side of the color spectrum) so I have been making sure to monitor her humidity. I plan on doing a shower once she has settled in a bit just to help out and possibly help catch her up. Right now it's all about letting her settle in, getting her eating/drinking. She drank as soon as she got here right after a misting before I even left, and went ham on some rather small pinheads so... thankfully no red flags there.

So, how about a close up picture of her back leg in the above photo? I'm just concerned because it looks like there is a lighter colored band at the top of the darker color on her leg. A stuck shed around the leg can cut off circulation to the lower extremity.

So, how about a close up picture of her back leg in the above photo? I'm just concerned because it looks like there is a lighter colored band at the top of the darker color on her leg. A stuck shed around the leg can cut off circulation to the lower extremity.

First off, she would like to say how dare you wake me up. Here are the pics

Attachments

• B5F66AD4-3939-452F-A0F2-F8B658DB2F77.jpeg
    B5F66AD4-3939-452F-A0F2-F8B658DB2F77.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 8E2CEC2E-7582-47F4-86E5-678E89BF8C48.jpeg
    8E2CEC2E-7582-47F4-86E5-678E89BF8C48.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 43
Ok, false alarm, her back legs look fine. Glad to see it!

Woot! Well good-ish news kinda? The store actually called stating that they did mix up since I was looking for males and had them actually separated (person on duty wasn't aware/handles fish more often than naught.) I'm hoping they are correct in all of this here but I'll post pictures of the one I am actually getting. Store apologized for not noting things down (Also these "males" are significantly larger? So yeah) hopefully they are male males lol

A5CC7529-9634-4C8C-A0EC-86066B8CC630.jpeg 55245065-1B4E-4CA9-878C-0DBD3FBC87E5.jpeg 8D9B62B6-A084-4CEE-A01F-967267997D77.jpeg

Last edited:
Woot! Well good-ish news kinda? The store actually called stating that they did mix up since I was looking for males and had them actually separated (person on duty wasn't aware/handles fish more often than naught.) I'm hoping they are correct in all of this here but I'll post pictures of the one I am actually getting. Store apologized for not noting things down (Also these "males" are significantly larger? So yeah) hopefully they are male males lol

View attachment 227499View attachment 227500View attachment 227501
You're not swapping? I couldn't do that. I'd have to have both.

Back
Top Bottom