North East Keepers...

ChamOh

Established Member
Any keepers from the great North East keep their lizards outside for most of the late spring through summer?

Im next to Baltimore and thinking of putting mine out in spring and fall, I think the summers may get too hot around here but Im definately interested in what other people think because I know it gets 90's to 100's here

Im next to Baltimore and thinking of putting mine out in spring and fall, I think the summers may get too hot around here but Im definately interested in what other people think because I know it gets 90's to 100's here
Do you keep any verrucosus, veileds or similar chameleons that "like" the warmth (males)?

If you have a misting system that isn't overly warm but you should always monitor them for heat stress.

I keep my animals outdoors from May to early September. They do just great with a misting system. I'm in northeast Pennsylvania and I've done this for about 5 years. No, they don't have to be just veiled and panthers. "Montanes" do equally well. Just use common sense with temperatures.

Kevin

iv never kept mine out during the spring fall...but spring i have and mine love it ... i always get paranoid and im constantly watching and checking in on them :)

Props to all the Pennsylvania keepers chiming in! ^^^ hey Kevin, I'm from outside Reading, Pa. cool!

I keep my animals outdoors from May to early September. They do just great with a misting system. I'm in northeast Pennsylvania and I've done this for about 5 years. No, they don't have to be just veiled and panthers. "Montanes" do equally well. Just use common sense with temperatures.

Kevin

Couldnt agree more!!! I lived in Hagerstown and now back in Northern WV so the temps are pretty much the same. I housed many species outside in Maryland. May to September is basically when I can house them outside day and night and then here and there in the beginning of spring and fall. For the hot days set up some sort of watering system or just be there to cool them off when temps are high. I kept panthers out day and night from temps down to 55, 60 and too 95 daytime. Well planted enclosures, in shade and plenty of water is what they need when temps are getting up there. Ive housed montanes out too but I take them to the basement if its going to be much higher than 85. They go as low as 45 degrees also. I cool mine off with cold water straight from the outside source.

Outside heat is much different than a "stangnant" heat inside.

I would like to be able to take mine out (if i ever get one) in its cage or outside on some sort of leash but there is an active nesting Brown hawk or eagle which i see every once in a while flying over the house. I saw him/her swoop down one time and fly off with a squirrel so there is no way in hell that I would allow him out in the open unless im there to watch over him or keep him under the porch but its very shady there with no sun light.

Back
Top Bottom