Normal?

Milo3cham

Hi everyone, I’m new to owning a chameleon. I have a female veiled chameleon, I want to say she is between 3-4 months old. I’ve had her a week so far. I’ve been noticing she hasn’t eaten much the last two days, and she just basks in her spot all day. She switches sides and looks alert, will get down every once in a while and get water. I’m just worried about the not eating. And she also sometimes puts her head up and sometimes she rubs her eye. She also earlier had her mouth slightly open. Is this all normal?

Hi everyone, I’m new to owning a chameleon. I have a female veiled chameleon, I want to say she is between 3-4 months old. I’ve had her a week so far. I’ve been noticing she hasn’t eaten much the last two days, and she just basks in her spot all day. She switches sides and looks alert, will get down every once in a while and get water. I’m just worried about the not eating. And she also sometimes puts her head up and sometimes she rubs her eye. She also earlier had her mouth slightly open. Is this all normal?
So lots going on here, please fill out the help form so we can review your husbandry.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome could you post pictures of your enclosure top to bottom and your cham thanks . My girl didn't eat for a bit after I got her very stressful but you've come to the right place

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, female I believe, and 3-4 months? My care for a week.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 5 minutes a day, trying to earn her trust
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets and meal worms, 3-4 worms mid morning and 2-3 crickets around 1. The feeders have been feeding off potatoes. I just bought the feeders.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’ve been dusting the feeders with calcium not sure of the brand and I’ve tried dusting once this week with a multivitamin
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a dripper, I mist twice a day and I also do a humidifier in the morning. She seems to be drinking a few times a day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dark brown with at first yellow when I got her and now white.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, it was the biggest one I could get from Petco so I am not sure the dimensions.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Repisun T5 UVB, and a warmer. Warmer is on 24/7 and the uvb comes on at 7 to 7.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Her basking spot ranges from 78-81. I am not sure of the cage floor but she doesn’t go lower. At night it is 68 lowest. I have a temp measure that came with the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? At this time I do not have a humidity measure that’s why I turn the humidifier on in the morning
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one live plant so far, a jade plant. I have reptile bark on the floor. The rest are fake greenery.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in a corner of my room. Cage is up high but top is even with my head, so 5 feet, 7 inches?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? New Mexico.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi and welcome could you post pictures of your enclosure top to bottom and your cham thanks . My girl didn't eat for a bit after I got her very stressful but you've come to the right place
I hope these are clear enough

Attachments

• 6A3F7127-511B-481D-B28B-2F2C55817159.jpeg
    6A3F7127-511B-481D-B28B-2F2C55817159.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 93
  • 3D45F8FB-242B-46F6-A741-BFCB46EF22D3.jpeg
    3D45F8FB-242B-46F6-A741-BFCB46EF22D3.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 82
  • D04419FC-F9A4-41E7-9124-4BCDC8B3062F.jpeg
    D04419FC-F9A4-41E7-9124-4BCDC8B3062F.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 79
Not eating for a little bit when you first get a chameleon can be normal.... but there is definitely some husbandry problems here, and I’m not sure about her rubbing her eye. I’ll let someone else come in and correct your form. But here is a great site to get you on the right track: https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/
After reading about the caging from the link you posted, I added a little more greenery for Milo to hide in, she seems really happy with that. It’s not the best but something to get by until I can get more plants and branches. And I know that’s just the start of what I need!

Back
Top Bottom