Normal shaky leaf?

is she still alive? most likely will not make it unless you take her to a vet.... THERE ARE OVER 1,000 PAGES ON VEILED CHAMELEON CARE ON THIS WEBSITE😁

Can be a combination of a lot of things. Such as that paired with dehydrated and no UVB ( correct lighting )

The best possible thing you can do for her right now is seek a Vet. A lot of your concerns will be answered in that visit.

Also, like Cham Enthusiast mentioned before. Take a fresh fecal test.

I will. Thank you! I will call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment. Poor little baby has had a tough start, so hopefully we can catch anything and help her out :)

Hi, just checking to see how your girl is doing. Best of luck in the Vet
Hoping she makes a fast recovery.

Issues with shooting their tongues as well as a "clumsy" appearance when walking could be signs of MBD, vitamin imbalances, and/or other illnesses. Usually the cham "leaf walk" is a well- balanced movement. To me, it looks like a little bit of leaf walk, and maybe a little bit of clumsiness, but I can't say for sure. Some chams also just try to frantically run away from their owners when they see them approaching so she could just be doing that? Keep in mind that I'm not a vet and I can only make guesses based on the photos and videos.

Personally I don't like how she looks in the photo you shared, she looks dehydrated and unhealthy.

Since you're her second keeper, I also think it's a good idea to see a good cham vet as well to rule out any health issues. This is what I would do if it were me. Definitely keep us updated on what the vet says, I'm glad to read that you decided to take her to get evaluated.

With all that being said, I also recommend a husbandry review to ensure that she has the best chance at a healthy life going forward. Fill out the form below and post your answers. It might be helpful to also share how the previous owners cared for her as well (lighting, supplements, watering, etc). I can see that you worked really hard on her enclosure, but I would get rid of the dirt on the back wall. If she accidentally ingests some when trying to eat a feeder it could lead to impaction.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

@ariez189 Have you made a vet appointment with an experienced chameleon vet and made sure no other substrate can be pulled off easily like it did in your video? Filling out the ask for help form that @CBee7726 posted will help

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - female veiled chameleon. I would guess around 4 months. Previous owner said she was about 4 inches long when they got her and they had her about 3 months. I just got her last night
Handling - Only twice since I got her last night- once to move to larger box for transport and once to put into enclosure.
Feeding -I was going to feed her a mix of discoids, crickets, and phoenix worms. I gut load them with sweet potatoes, carrots, and apples. She just ate a couple of crickets that I just purchased from the store.
Supplements - Zoomed repticalicum everyday and reptivite with d3 on first and 15th of month. I gave her discoids with calcium this morning that she did not eat, but the crickets were dusted with reptivite.
Watering - Automatic mister. Usually I do 4 times a day for 2 minutes each time, but I increased to every 2 hours for 1 minute since she might be dehydrated.
Fecal Description- Have not seen droppings or urates yet.
History - Previous owner had about 3 months. She lived in a 40 gallon glass breeder tank with little to no foliage. They did not give her supplements and was fed crickets. She went for some time without a proper UVB, but I do not know how long.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - homemade wood 2 x 2 x 4. Screen on all sides except for back which is closed off with a board.
Lighting - 75 watt basking on dimmer. UVB is currently 10.0 T5 HO 22 inch. I ordered an Arcadia 12% that should be here sometime next week. Lights come on at 7:30 am and off at 7:30 pm.
Temperature - Basking is 80-85. Lower is 70-75. Basking and lowest is measured with probe that is zip tied to branch. Basking probe is on vine directly under basking spot about 6-8 inches lower then fixture. Nighttime it is usually between 61 and 65.
Humidity - 20% - 30% daytime. 70-90% nighttime. I have a fogger that comes on at 8 pm and off at 7 am.
Plants - 4 pothos, schefflera, and bromeliad. rest are fake vines, but do not have moss.
Placement - cage is in my home office and no one goes in there. She is on wall opposite of window and not under a vent.
Location - Central Florida

Current Problem - Tongue seemed to not be shooting out fully last night, but I just observed it fully shooting out while she was eating a cricket. Only concern I have now is her shaky walk (refer to videos). She has an appointment tomorrow with an experienced chameleon vet. I will mention concern of MBD, parasite and possible vitamin deficiency.

Enclosure and vitamins

Attachments

• 43D14AAD-E3F2-49DE-B8CF-30015A39E53D.jpeg
    43D14AAD-E3F2-49DE-B8CF-30015A39E53D.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 49
  • D3A720CC-F9E9-4283-90E8-F36D5D06D04D.jpeg
    D3A720CC-F9E9-4283-90E8-F36D5D06D04D.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 55
So my best guesses are potential MBD and vitamin insufficiency since her previous owners didn't use a UVB light or give her supplements. However, the vet will evaluate her tomorrow to properly diagnose her, and determine the best course of action.

Your husbandry for the most part is fine, but I have a few minor comments:
Misting sessions should be longer duration, 2-5 minutes is better to give her enough time to start drinking.
Daytime humidity is a LITTLE on the low side, try raising it to 30-50%

Since you're using a 10.0 bulb instead of a 5.0, what is the distance to the basking branch?

Final note, since she's a girl she will need a laybin soon. Keep in mind that MBD is extra tricky with girls, because it can contribute to complications with egg laying. An experienced vet should be able to go over this with you though.

@Beman @MissSkittles @kinyonga would any of you be able to comment here?

So my best guesses are potential MBD and vitamin insufficiency since her previous owners didn't use a UVB light or give her supplements. However, the vet will evaluate her tomorrow to properly diagnose her, and determine the best course of action.

Your husbandry for the most part is fine, but I have a few minor comments:
Misting sessions should be longer duration, 2-5 minutes is better to give her enough time to start drinking.
Daytime humidity is a LITTLE on the low side, try raising it to 30-50%

Since you're using a 10.0 bulb instead of a 5.0, what is the distance to the basking branch?

Final note, since she's a girl she will need a laybin soon. Keep in mind that MBD is extra tricky with girls, because it can contribute to complications with egg laying. An experienced vet should be able to go over this with you though.

@Beman @MissSkittles @kinyonga would any of you be able to comment here?

bulb is about 6-8 inches away from the vine. Highest my mister wil do is 2 minutes. I will change it now. I will talk to the vet tomorrow about mbd and egg laying concerns.

Back
Top Bottom