Normal coloration

Kolinbarnes

Hello I'm a new veiled chameleon owner and was just looking to see if this coloration is normal or could mean something. He's done it a couple tumes, mainly when I put crickets in his terrarium.
IMG_20190212_103706.jpg

more info please
age?
how long have you had him?

he looks a little stressed, which is normal especially if they ar eyoung and/or new to you.

He's just over 4 months. I've only had him for about 4 days but the first days he never showed these colors. I'm not too worried cause like you said

i thinkg hes ok. takes 1-2 weeks min to settle in. he thinks your a predator lol. only tip is to move a little slow and carefully around them. kinda like they do. quick movements are scary.

That is 100% normal. All it means is that he stressed when you put your hand in his cage. The more the more you work with him the last he'll turn that coloration. the reasons he didn't show those colors before was because he was still getting used to his cage. Right now he thinks of you as a threat after a month or two him settling in try hand-feeding him.

I think my first reply cut off but I was saying like you said everything is new so that's what I assumed. Sounds good though thanks for the replies

I'm 90% sure he is a male I can check for sure when I get off work
Look for the tarsal spurs on the back feet. If they arent there then you have a girl. It probably is a male I was just curious because I have not seen a color display like that with my male. Either way beautiful baby.

Def check those back feet, could be a she. If you can get a pic of them people here can help you confirm. My female gets that coloration when stressed or hunting.

Those were the best pictures I could get without stressing him or her lol out too much. Can get more later if it's still unclear

hmmmm might be a tarsal spur but I can't say for sure at that angle. Try to take the image from the side like this. They will not be this big but they will be there if its a boy. It will be flat if it is a girl. :)
tarsal Spur2.jpg
Tarsal spur1.jpg

Normal color pattern for a young chameleon. In my experience they will pop the black spots and stripes when nervous or feeling defensive. As they get older they will develop more drastic color patterns and ranges. My male will pop bright yellow, teals and dark greens lined in vivid black when he is angry.

Normal color pattern for a young chameleon. In my experience they will pop the black spots and stripes when nervous or feeling defensive. As they get older they will develop more drastic color patterns and ranges. My male will pop bright yellow, teals and dark greens lined in vivid black when he is angry.
For sure thanks for the info

hmmmm might be a tarsal spur but I can't say for sure at that angle. Try to take the image from the side like this. They will not be this big but they will be there if its a boy. It will be flat if it is a girl. :)
View attachment 223442View attachment 223443
Okay I'll try and get some better pictures later. There is a small hump between his toes like a small tarsal spur but it's very small. Could just be because he's still young but we shall see

Back
Top Bottom