Normal activities?

CalamityCrow

Avid Member
Quick question... I've been bringing Little Guy, who is about 10 months old, outside for about 15 minutes a day to work on handling as well as getting some real UVB. He's done a couple of things that I want to make sure are generally normal. Twice, he's given a little huff. Like someone might do if they were a bit exasperated about something. It's not a hiss, and he wasn't puffed up or anything, but more like... I guess you could describe it as a puff of air from the nose a human would do for a quick laugh.

He's also a couple times stuck the very end of his tongue out (I had no idea they were sorta... pronged!) and lightly licked my hand. Again, he didn't seem upset or puffed up and he wasn't gaping. Is that normal too?

Far as I can tell he's otherwise healthy (I've been following advice here) and is *finally* getting some colors in. He's been a fairly dull boy his whole life so it's nice to see some brightness to him!

Attachments

• 20220817_112959.jpg
    20220817_112959.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220819_124309.jpg
    20220819_124309.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 53
Lizards have two choices in life, use the front legs, or breath. So the little puff odds are is just him moving/bracing on your hand. Same thing would happen on a stick in the wind.

And yes lizards will lick a new environment, sometimes a lot. You will learn this once you do your first major cage cleaning.

H
Quick question... I've been bringing Little Guy, who is about 10 months old, outside for about 15 minutes a day to work on handling as well as getting some real UVB. He's done a couple of things that I want to make sure are generally normal. Twice, he's given a little huff. Like someone might do if they were a bit exasperated about something. It's not a hiss, and he wasn't puffed up or anything, but more like... I guess you could describe it as a puff of air from the nose a human would do for a quick laugh.

He's also a couple times stuck the very end of his tongue out (I had no idea they were sorta... pronged!) and lightly licked my hand. Again, he didn't seem upset or puffed up and he wasn't gaping. Is that normal too?

Far as I can tell he's otherwise healthy (I've been following advice here) and is *finally* getting some colors in. He's been a fairly dull boy his whole life so it's nice to see some brightness to him!
He’s beautiful! My Cham does let out odd little huffs and puffs sometimes but my vet said it was nothing to be concerned about.

Lizards have two choices in life, use the front legs, or breath. So the little puff odds are is just him moving/bracing on your hand. Same thing would happen on a stick in the wind.

And yes lizards will lick a new environment, sometimes a lot. You will learn this once you do your first major cage cleaning.
That's really fascinating about the move/breathing thing. I had no idea! Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom