NOPE, NOPE, NOPE....I'm livid!!!

That's an impressive vet's office! To recognize that you can actually provide him with better care than they can, and then contact you to do right by the animal. That's a really great vet!!
I'm shocked. It was actually the pet store's pet care manager who called me. She is the one who called the vet to ask if they could release him to me. Either way, I'm glad to be bringing him home. And I'll be getting him in to my vet next week. Now, I start rereading everything I can on taking care of a veiled with MBD. Let the crossed eyes begin!!!!

And here is the VERY temporary set up for him. I will add a plant tomorrow as well as the lights. I have a few pathos vines rooting in water so I will get a very small one in there for him to have a live plant. This will only be for a week or so. I'm waiting on my Dragonstrand to get here for my panther then the veiled will get the cage my panther is in now. Now to just find a place to put this for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_9065.JPG
    IMG_9065.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 128
Well in my opinion he would still need a lot of care to fix the damage if he is a severe case of mbd after a week of liquid calcium of 2x a day. He wouldn't really start showing much improvement until about 3 months in, that is usually when most of my rescues with mbd of any sort show any sign of improvement. Good luck ^^

Well in my opinion he would still need a lot of care to fix the damage if he is a severe case of mbd after a week of liquid calcium of 2x a day. He wouldn't really start showing much improvement until about 3 months in, that is usually when most of my rescues with mbd of any sort show any sign of improvement. Good luck ^^
Thanks for weighing in on that. Any more advise I will gladly take. I know they took him to the vet the day after I started this thread so he's been on the liquid Calcium since November 17th. They just didn't give me any update until last week when they finally decided what they wanted to do with him. I will be getting him into my vet and continuing with whatever he needs. I've had veilds before but never with MBD so now I will be moving from book knowledge into hands on.

I would think that the treatment for MBD would be the same, across all species. It's a bone disease, common to many many reptiles, not just one or two specific species. I could be wrong, though. I'm curious, @Peachypink , are you a foster, or are you now the "proud owner" of this veiled?

Got him home and settled. He's already taken down a super worm and now he's working on a few dubia. He is so sweet! And he has such a beautiful green!

I called the vet they took him to and am now going to run over there and pick up what little bit of liquid Calcium they have left and his records. Apparently it's on back order. I'll be calling my vet on Monday to see if he can get me some.

He will definitely be needing the bigger cage asap!! I can not believe they had this guy in a cube 4 times smaller than what he's in now.

Any guesses on age?

Attachments

• IMG_9070.JPG
    IMG_9070.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9071.JPG
    IMG_9071.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9073.JPG
    IMG_9073.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9075.JPG
    IMG_9075.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9076.JPG
    IMG_9076.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9077.JPG
    IMG_9077.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 117
Be careful with too big of cage, I am all for climbing because it is important he exercises his muscles, but if you get a larger cage definitely make a catch net in case of falls. As for treating mbd on different species, it is different but the liquid calcium is the same. With jacksons and other montane species you just tend to give it less often.

Be careful with too big of cage, I am all for climbing because it is important he exercises his muscles, but if you get a larger cage definitely make a catch net in case of falls. As for treating mbd on different species, it is different but the liquid calcium is the same. With jacksons and other montane species you just tend to give it less often.

He's got a pretty good grip but of course I will make precautions just in case. I won't be moving him for a few weeks. I'm waiting for my panthers cage to get here first.

so went into the pet store(no need to say the name, y'all already know) this morning to get my son some new fish decor and against my better judgement I went looking in on the chams they have. And what do I see....this poor guy with severe MBD!! I politely asked for a manager and took her to the side. I was livid furious but, it's better to be nice and get more done. I told her I wanted to privately let her know that this cham has severe MBD and needs to see a vet immediately. And that he possibly has a broken leg. She was like "really?!? We were just working with him this morning(whatever that means) and he's walking fine." After pointing out exactly what I was looking at with his legs and explaining what causes it and that their nature is to act as normal as possible because of predators we was like "oh goodness". Then giving the benefit of the doubt I said that it probably wasn't anything they did that it takes months of improper care for this to happen she said it actually probably was because they've had him since he was tiny. She said she would be talking with her care manager and see what they will do. Then she goes, "you seem like you know what your doing and talking about, would you want to take him if they decide to just adopt him out". Crap, I don't really need another one but I don't think I can just walk away now. So I left her with my phone number. We shall see what happens. But man, this gets to me!!
Glad there are people in this world like you Peachy looking out for the little guy

Got him home and settled. He's already taken down a super worm and now he's working on a few dubia. He is so sweet! And he has such a beautiful green!

I called the vet they took him to and am now going to run over there and pick up what little bit of liquid Calcium they have left and his records. Apparently it's on back order. I'll be calling my vet on Monday to see if he can get me some.

He will definitely be needing the bigger cage asap!! I can not believe they had this guy in a cube 4 times smaller than what he's in now.

Any guesses on age?
I think he is beautiful,around 10month and 5days,very high crest he has.

Back
Top Bottom