Non reptile people just don't understand

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
So I'm up to 5 chams now and I would have a whole room (a big one) of them if I could! I'm totally addicted of course and fascinated by all of them. I give them the very best care I can and am always looking for more info about them to do better. It's not like I'm a hoarder or anything...you guys all know how it is! But every time I talk about another species or getting any more my friends (and husband) just give me the incredulous raised eyebrow look. Non reptile people just don't understand what they're missing! And they judge me...

So I'm up to 5 chams now and I would have a whole room (a big one) of them if I could! I'm totally addicted of course and fascinated by all of them. I give them the very best care I can and am always looking for more info about them to do better. It's not like I'm a hoarder or anything...you guys all know how it is! But every time I talk about another species or getting any more my friends (and husband) just give me the incredulous raised eyebrow look. Non reptile people just don't understand what they're missing! And they judge me...

YESSSS! My bf thinks i'm nuts and so do my parents, brothers, friends, family... All growing up I NEVER knew anyone who owned any type of reptile. I don't get why more people don't have them as pets. :( They will never understand... Lol!:p

Well you can always come home to us, we understand you. My husband is still trying to understand why I sold my panthers, and veileds a year ago and moved on to montanes, after all they are all chameleons and the panthers were "so pretty". I try to explain the challenges of the monotones but he just doesn't get it. In fact most of Montana doesn't get my love of chameleons, thank God for all our friends here who keep us sane.:D

AHAHA, I've had chameleons since I was 7. Everyone just nods their heads at me or asks what ever it is im talking about is. :) They are all 110% used to it, and the majority of them understand what I'm talking about most of the time.

Maybe try finishing your sentences to your friends/family with "...and they (chameleons) are my thing so let it go." Jokingly of course... Don't let it bother you, if we were all the same then I would go nuts because I love people who have outside the considered normal interests.

Oh no worries, it doesn't bother me in the slightest! I just have to remember they don't really care what my cham did the other day that was so cute, or want to hear periodic reports of how cool they are. That's why I'm glad this forum exists! It's perfect for people like us :)

Hehe... what if im nuts?! So be it. LOL
It reminds me the situation when im talking about i was working in the ZOO, and the others say something like "ohhh how cool, where did you worked? at the seal, wolfs, other "cute" animals?" And the answer is: No, at the BUG HOUSE :) And at that moment everyone say its disgusting and like this... :D:D
But fortunately there are people who understand our point of wiew :D Expecially here! :D

This thread cracks me up! We are nuts whata ya talkin about? How can anyone be addicted and "in love" with a lizard they ask? We are special people God put on this earth to care for the chameleons that are so unique, special, graceful, calculating, cool and no one will understand. Just don't talk about being excited they pooped, that's when you get the "you're crazy" roll eyes look. :p

I was totally shocked at how well my friends, neighbors and co-workers not only excepted but actually like my chams.

AMEN! But now we're with friends!

I was totally shocked at how well my friends, neighbors and co-workers not only excepted but actually like my chams.

Haha, that's true! They all look at me like I'm crazy until they see them and are fascinated when my Oscar crawls all over them and will shoot stuff they're holding. Then of course they think they're awesome! Everyone heads to the cham room first when they come to my house :)

I use it as a good test of peoples character! Depending on how people react to their knowledge of my reptile keeping, i will make serious assumptions of their personality! HAHA....seriously though i do...

I also believe you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat animals!!

I dont go to Star Trek conventions
I dont play World of Warcraft
I never collected comics
I know very little about computer technology
I don't have a pocket protector
I don't idolize Bill Gates
I dont like sci-fi books/movies

I am a fairly good athlete (if I must say so myself)
I enjoy many sports like hockey, soccer, rugby...........
I enjoy being outside
I have many "cool" friends
I am quite sociable
I've been chased by the police
Ive had friends mothers/sisters come on to me!

But I am still a GEEK because I keep chameleons and thats okay by me.

I would pick a reptile over a small animal ANY day. They're the coolest thing! Not to mention they don't squeak like a guinea pig, go to the bathroom 24/7, don't eat and eat and eat, don't smell bad for the most part, and aren't kicking bedding around everywhere. To me that's several pluses for the reptile category. Besides all the cool kids have reptiles. :D

I would pick a reptile over a small animal ANY day. They're the coolest thing! Not to mention they don't squeak like a guinea pig, go to the bathroom 24/7, don't eat and eat and eat, don't smell bad for the most part, and aren't kicking bedding around everywhere. To me that's several pluses for the reptile category. Besides all the cool kids have reptiles. :D

Hey hey hey hey... Don't rag on Guinea Pigs. They are SO cute and I LOVE when they do their little piggy squeals. Lol!:p;):D

All in all, I have 22 reptiles, arachnids, and amphibians, and they have been the BEST. :) Hoping on adding number 23 soon... ;)

Ah, I have a funny story for you guys. I have a 3 and a half to 4 foot Ball Python (which isn't big at all) whom I named Damien. He was adopted by me and took him in from someone who pretty much just didn't want him anymore, set up and everything. We went to pick him up, loaded everything into the car, and drove off... Long story short, we had to go to Walmart for some reason, I wasn't going to leave Damien in the car so I took him with me. Of course as soon as the Walmart greeter took a look at my snake, he stopped me and told me I couldn't go inside. I knew it was going to happen and fully understood so I just took a seat on the bench at the entrance. People walked by and stared, giggled, others pointed, and some just didn't get near me BUT one lady just looked at me in utter digust. She stared me down making sure I saw her, rolled her eyes, and shook her head. Lol! I just giggled and though, "Lady, did your mom ever teach you manners?" Lol!

I know, not an interesting story but just thought I would share. I have also gotten those looks back when I occasionally went to church. Lol!

Hey hey hey hey... Don't rag on Guinea Pigs. They are SO cute and I LOVE when they do their little piggy squeals. Lol!:p;):D

All in all, I have 22 reptiles, arachnids, and amphibians, and they have been the BEST. :) Hoping on adding number 23 soon... ;)

Ah, I have a funny story for you guys. I have a 3 and a half to 4 foot Ball Python (which isn't big at all) whom I named Damien. He was adopted by me and took him in from someone who pretty much just didn't want him anymore, set up and everything. We went to pick him up, loaded everything into the car, and drove off... Long story short, we had to go to Walmart for some reason, I wasn't going to leave Damien in the car so I took him with me. Of course as soon as the Walmart greeter took a look at my snake, he stopped me and told me I couldn't go inside. I knew it was going to happen and fully understood so I just took a seat on the bench at the entrance. People walked by and stared, giggled, others pointed, and some just didn't get near me BUT one lady just looked at me in utter digust. She stared me down making sure I saw her, rolled her eyes, and shook her head. Lol! I just giggled and though, "Lady, did your mom ever teach you manners?" Lol!

I know, not an interesting story but just thought I would share. I have also gotten those looks back when I occasionally went to church. Lol!

I went to subway on the way home from tge reptile show that I got my ball python at and I just put her in my purse, you couldn't see her but the employees just kept looking at me weird because my purse was moving! And don't worry everyone reptile keepers are a special type of person and who cares if the average person doesn't understand because we all get it!!!

Lol I've had several guinea pigs and yes they are SO cute. I'm a person who loves her sleep and when I would move at night they would *squeak squeak squeak!* :mad: lol :D

You have to embrace that stuff! lol My coworkers are also apprehensive about my hobby. I don't think they believe me when I tell them what kind of animals I own.

yea the CANADIAN police!......just havin some fun :p

nice! :p

Back
Top Bottom