Noisy UVB

Connorology

Avid Member
Good Evening Everyone,

This may be a silly question, but are any of you folks aware of a quiet option for UVB hoods? I currently use an 18inch hood with a zoomed uvb5.

My only complaint: It emits a high pitched buzz that gets on my nerves (and has as long as I can recall). I'm not sure if it's a result of the hood, the bulb, or the starter in the hood. My Jackson's is the only animal I keep that needs supplemental UVB rays, so I don't have a lot of experience with the noise output of different products. Maybe they all make noise.. Maybe mine is about to explode.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Sounds like the ballast is the culprit. Some just make noise from day 1. I have 4 different uvb fixtures and none of them make noise. Try a different bulb also, sometimes the bulb itself can make a buzz.

Do yours have starter tubes? I guess I just need to replace the hood.. It's a shame, by coincidence it's a perfect match to the wood grain on my enclosure.

I do not have starter tubes, I have electronic ballast. You might try buying a new starter to change out the one making noise. Just a thought. Would be a cheap test, only a couple bucks for one.

Back
Top Bottom