Nobody Wants Veileds?

What's the deal with what seems like zero demand for Veileds? I've seen many adult males go unsold on the classifieds, and babies seem to be going for cheaper and cheaper, to the point that I can't imagine they're even worth breeding any more for most operations. Why use cages on veileds that you may not be able to sell and when you do they're going for >$50 when you could have panthers selling like hotcakes for <$200?

I've got an adult male veiled and, granted, he's the meanest little monster in the world (I mean that in a loving way), but he's a great animal and I'm just not getting why it seems like nobody wants these animals anymore. Is it just panther fever?

We are moving across country next week and I will be getting a veiled shortly after settling in. I LOVE veileds, I feel pretty crappy about how inexpensive they are going for these days, but I guess it works out well for me.

With how many panthers are popping up, I'm really surprised they are still so expensive.

I think its supply and demand and they are cheap because they are the most popular species that is bred the most. It seems like most of the new people on these forums need help with veileds.

I currently have a veiled and a couple panthers and they are both great.

Supply and demand, supply and demand.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 205
I think it's ashamed. They should sale for the same as a panther. Veileds are awesome chameleons. I love them! They have the best personalities and very sweet animals when kept the correct way. (they don't like to be caged)

I just got a veiled and I think they are so cute. Panthers are amazing, but they are rather expensive. Georgie is my first cham, and for me I didn't want to spend a million dollars on a panther, being my first I wanted to start with a veiled. :)

My veiled Rebel has an attitude but I love him anyways. I knew going in that most chameleons were not a hold me kind of pet. I think panthers are beautiful but for me there is just something about the casque and the attitude. :D I too think its a shame that their value is going down. If the prices stay up I think more responsible people would buy them. JMHO :eek:

They breed early, have large clutches, hardy young, and grow fast. I don't think they are even imported anymore.

????

My veiled Rebel has an attitude but I love him anyways. I knew going in that most chameleons were not a hold me kind of pet. I think panthers are beautiful but for me there is just something about the casque and the attitude. :D I too think its a shame that their value is going down. If the prices stay up I think more responsible people would buy them. JMHO :eek:

I'm sorry but it almost sounds like you are saying that people of lesser means are too stupid to care for a chameleon properly. I'm not rich and have been very successful raising veiled. I even had one male live a little over 9 years. I would agree with you that if they get too cheap they will just become disposable playthings. I don't think they should be $200.00 to $400.00 dollars either, I personally think panthers are way too expensive given their abundance, it's not like they are rare. Veileds are still going for $80.00 to $126.00 where I live. I have seen babies online for $50.00, but you have a $40.00 to $50.00 dollar shipping price. Yah I don't think they are in any danger of becoming disposable, or feeders to snakes anytime soon IMHO.

Calyptratus have been used as feeders for a long time. They are easy to breed and prolific which makes them an ideal feeder. Like it or not it's just the way it is.

Chameleons in general are poor sellers. Besides pardalis most breeders struggle to find buyers.

Carl

I think its supply and demand and they are cheap because they are the most popular species that is bred the most. It seems like most of the new people on these forums need help with veileds.

I currently have a veiled and a couple panthers and they are both great.

Also consider that the cost of breeding stock is still lower for veileds than it is for panthers (with trends in the locales of the moment and avoiding crosses to consider), so there are probably more "volume" veiled breeders out there to begin with.

I remind myself about popularity, supply and demand trends in birds, cats and dogs. How many people choose to breed Labradors or golden retrievers over a more expensive status breed such as a Tibetan mastiff? A parakeet versus a hyacinth macaw?

I'm sorry but it almost sounds like you are saying that people of lesser means are too stupid to care for a chameleon properly. I'm not rich and have been very successful raising veiled. I even had one male live a little over 9 years. I would agree with you that if they get too cheap they will just become disposable playthings. I don't think they should be $200.00 to $400.00 dollars either, I personally think panthers are way too expensive given their abundance, it's not like they are rare. Veileds are still going for $80.00 to $126.00 where I live. I have seen babies online for $50.00, but you have a $40.00 to $50.00 dollar shipping price. Yah I don't think they are in any danger of becoming disposable, or feeders to snakes anytime soon IMHO.

I did not mean that by any means. I never said that people who are not rich (I myself am FAR from rich) were stupid. I worked in a national chain pet store and sold animals to people of different economic statuses. What I meant was when a pet is cheap people will purchase it without thinking because if it dies that's OK because it didn't cost me much" attitude. I saw that A LOT. If the animal cost more people tend to think more about purchasing it and also tend to do more research ahead of time before spending the money. I never said they should cost $200 + Sorry if you took what I said the wrong way. I know from first hand experience how the under pricing of animals can be a bad thing. How much money you have has nothing to do with intelligence or how well you care for a pet you purchase.

Last edited:
I really hate it when veiled chams are considered "lesser" chameleons. I have 2 panthers and a male veiled and I think my veiled is a gorgeous cham with the coolest personality.

I started with cheap gekos, then a veiled, then a panther , then another panther.
Traded the veil , mean nasty , personable . Would never recommend a veil .

I'm sure there's a few exceptions

Watch the classifieds more closely.

Ambilobe panthers where going for 350+.
Now you can find them for under 200
For the large amount of ambilobe breeders out there they will catch up to veiled prices before you know it.

15 years ago I was able to buy veileds for 50 bucks at my local pet shop.
So prices haven't changed all that much.

Personally if i ever did decide to dedicate myself to breeding chameleons, which i most likely will in the future, i would love to breed Jacksons Chameleons!!! They are just awesome looking and something about the live birth makes it that much cooler to me!! Are Jacksons looked at the same way veileds to most people?? I know the price isnt too high for em.... Also i have a Veiled. my first and only cham. He was super aggressive when i got him but within ONE WEEK i got him to be super nice and handleable... just took about 15 minutes of handling a day and a lot of hand feeding! i also noticed theyre "all bark and no bite" cuz when mine trys to bite me it honestly doesnt hurt not one bit and most of the time even if he does manage to get my finger tip in his mouth he wont even bite... hes really just tryna scare you off... Awesome pet and i Love him despite his mark down price!!! Those are my thoughts ^.^

Back
Top Bottom